Your most awe inspired 'brush with greatness'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by doublej, Nov 16, 2018.

1. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

We have a lot of people from very diverse backgrounds on this forum. Reading through the Bucklist thread kind of got me thinking about this. A long time ago, David Letterman used to do a skit called "Brush with Greatness" in which random people would tell a story about someone they met or crossed paths with that was famous, or very well known on a national, or world level. Typically it would be unintended and unexpected.

Some of us old-ish folks may have more than one. I'll start; 1) Late great NASCAR champ Dale Earnhardt Sr. leaving the Dover race in the late 90's (surprise only because the crowd parted and I was like "holy shit, thats Earnhardt!" and shook his hand....I was a HUGE fan of his; 2) Ryan Clowe, now retired tough guy for San Jose Sharks (NHL) at a dive bar in St. Johns Newfoundland, CA; 3) Alice Cooper in the 80's (not unexpected though since we had his tour bus staked out after a concert). 4) last one....Gabe Kaplan (Mr. Kotter!) in the Jet Blue terminal at JFK! - John

2. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I have a boatload of famous people that had the opportunity to meet, and in many cases get to know me.

One that stands out is Chuck Yeager. We met when I lived in Alaska. A friend of mine at the time owned the Salmon Falls Resort fishing lodge near Ketchikan and Chuck was a fairly frequent visitor to her lodge. I met him a few times in the years that I lived there.

3. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

Cool stuff @doublej !

Back in grade school in Rio Vista, CA there was this tall, lanky kid with dark hair I used to hang out with sometimes, play army and such, by the name of Tim Lucas. After 5th grade we moved up to Oregon and time went by. In the late 80s the Broncos traded for a linebacker by the name of Tim Lucas who was tall, dark haired, and close enough in facial structure that I used to joke with my friends that I went to school with that player.

A couple of years ago I was reminded of that and looked Tim Lucas of the Broncos up and sure enough, he graduated from Rio Vista High School in 1979 - my graduation year. It actually was my friend from grade school. He owns a business here in Denver now and is doing pretty good for himself.

Small world.

Also in the mid-late 80s while playing in the travelin' band we were doing a gig at the Sportsman's Lounge in Moab, UT. We were in the middle of a ZZ Top tune, Sharp Dressed Man, when Grog, the lead vocalist, taps me on the shoulder and points to the bar. There's the Reverend Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill sitting at the bar enjoying a cold one. They were grinning ear to ear and both gave us a big thumbs up. After a few more tunes they finished up their beers and headed out. Since we were "working" as it were, we didn't get to meet them before they left, but the grins and the thumbs up has stuck with me. Somebody mentioned that they owned some ranch property in the area and popped into the local establishments on occasion.

EPOCH6, doublej and tthunder38 like this.
  4. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

My uncle was the first radio announcer for the Grand Ole Opry and went on to be the station manager at WSM, but nobody knows anything about him now. I think that's the hardest I've been brushed. Unless it was the time I gave Justin Wilson material for a joke that I later heard he used.

doublej likes this.
  5. Basshole

Basshole Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Oooooh famous people! Well, living here in So Cal has afforded me with many opportunities to meet and know celebrities. This list is gonna be long. As a preface, when I was younger I was a store manager at Footlocker so several of these come from that time frame.
    I've had a private dinner with the late great Chick Hearn
    I sold Eric Dickerson his first pair of cleats as a professional football player for the LA Rams (he had no shoe contract at the time)
    My wife's boss is very good friends with Rod Carew and have spoken with him many times.
    I used to get freebies from a packaging supplier of mine which included senate seats at the Forum in Inglewood and Forum club passes. Our seats were at the end of the visitors bench first row. Terri Garr sat behind us and Jack Nicholson sat about 30' away. Had dinner and drinks with more players and celebs in the Forum club after games than I can count.
    I used to have a TV show called Eye on San Diego filmed in my Footlocker store when I was managing the La Jolla store.
    I played baseball with Lenny Dykstra, Rob Deer, and others.
    I grew up with and am friends with Paul Moyer Seattle Seahawks safety and broadcaster.
    I used to work as a hawker at Anaheim Stadium in high school so I got to meet every player in the American League then.

I know there are many many more, too many to list here. I've been lucky in that respect.

doublej likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

1966 and a Guard of Honour has been gathered and is practicing non stop,......a special visitor is coming,......one that will awaken the hearts and minds of Kiwis everywhere,......for both good and bad reasons,.........

The training for the Guard of Honour is intense and we have reached the point where we will train with fixed bayonets,.....it's a full dress rehearsal, SD uniforms, spit polished boots, we all look a million dollars,.....we begin,....."Guard of Honour!" Balks out the Instructor,......"a- tenn- shun!!",......." Shoulder Arms!" And three rows of Regular Force Cadets snap to it!,....We begin to go through the steps,....all is well,....I present my SLR into the "shoulder" position only to hear a groan to my left, ..............movement,.....with every nerve in my body saying " DONT!!, I look over, ........drop my SLR and dive for Harvey, dumb stupid ( but likeable) Harvey has somehow put his bayonet into his armpit,......I hold him up, by now others are moving, the SLR is removed then there's blood everywhere! Mainly on me,......someone has removed and placed their SD jacket under Harvey's arm and it's got more red on it than just the lanyard,.....

So ended our first Guard of Honour practice with fixed bayonets. And I haven't even got to the part where we got to meet President Johnson and his wife, Lady Bird at Wellington Airport!

Pictorial Parade No. 184 - New Zealand's Day with 'LBJ' | Short Film | NZ On Screen

A little into the film you can see the welcome and Guard of Honour at Wellington Airport,......I'm in the top end of the second row, SD uniform all the correct colours again,....." Where are you from Soldier?" He asked a number of us,....with eyes straight ahead we answered adding the appropriate "Mr President" and "Sir",.......

A wonderful and for me personally, meaningful Guard of Honour and parade. By far the most important person I have ever met,.......

Oh,.......and Harvey?,........he survived,.......such a likable but dumb and dangerous guy. I remember one time on the firing range and he got a jam,......but that's another story,.......
    The ramblings af Alpal

doublej, Warlock and EPOCH6 like this.
  7. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

doublej and Warlock like this.
  8. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

I meet people and become their "brush with greatness".;)

9. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Well-Known Member

Some pretty cool stories in here already. For me nothing is coming to mind yet but I might be forgetting something.

doublej and Warlock like this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That statement was anticipated from you Dan,......your greatness flows before you,........( and after you,.....:eek::cool:)
    Alpal

Papa Lar, Warlock and Dan_Frisbie like this.
  11. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

Superman is the only person that can put his pants on two legs at a time. Until then their just another human with fortune on their side. Just sayin, I’ve had them, but they’re just people.

Alpal likes this.
  12. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Truth be told the one that means the most to me was being on the protective detail for then Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen.

Bumped into Max Martini from the tv series the Unit in the Chicago O'hare airport.

Not that they would be considered greatness. Back in the early 90's before they all got old and the roid's took their toll a young Coastie was out doing boating safety boardings and crawled onboard a Donzi operated by none other than Hulk Hogan his passengers that day were Brutis Beefcake and Randy Macho Man Savage.

Dan_Frisbie and doublej like this.
  13. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

?o_O?

14. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

I was introduced to Buddy Guy one time, it did not go to good.
    But a long time ago the Wooly man and I was in Memphis Tennessee. It was a Sunday afternoon and we had no where to be till the next day. So we find a hotel, park the bikes unload and then start exploring the Beale Street experience. I will add this was a long time ago, before the metal detectors to get in and the drug/gang problem. So we walk around listen to street musicals, shop a little and decide to go have a drink. When we pick a bar (which was just a random pick) we go in and set at the bar. There was only one other guy in the bar so we started a conversation with him. Found out he was there visiting his son who was in college, playing football for university of Tennessee. Anyway what I would call just a plain everyday kind of conversation. When they guy left the bar tender came up and asked "Do you know who that was?" My reply was some guy visiting his son at college. Well, turned out it was Charlie Pride.

will, CaptMdnght, Papa Lar and 4 others like this.
  15. tthunder38

tthunder38 Well-Known Member

I was once on a motorcycle forum website at the same time as the drummer from Poison. Seemed like a nice enough guy. Is that worth any points? I also used to hang out a lot with the two quickest top fuel motorcycle drag racers in the world. They used to give me a hard time but only because i was the third quickest top fuel pilot at the time.

Dadawada, CaptMdnght, Warlock and 3 others like this.
  16. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

Does meeting @Alpal count?

Warlock, Basshole, doublej and 2 others like this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

You bet your sweet little cotton socks it does!!!:cool::p:rolleyes::);)
    Auto reply by Alpal's IPad.

CaptMdnght, Warlock and Scouts Honour like this.
  18. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Ran into several celebrities briefly, but the one that stands out is Eddie Graham he was kind of Tampa's Hero in Pro Wrestling, he did many things for the community and active as well .. Was a very friendly guy and I know Wrestling is fake but he sure played the part well and made it fun to watch ..

Eddie_Graham.jpg

Warlock, Alpal, doublej and 1 other person like this.
  19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Not kean on the newer TVNZ wrestling shows but the old ones in black and white were cool I thought,...am I showing my age here?,.....oh well,....who cares,.....

Warlock and JayFL459 like this.
  20. will

will Well-Known Member
    Original 111

While stationed aboard the USS Missouri back in 1988 I had a mate that had tickets to this new movie and asked if I’d like to go with. He said bring your girlfriend along. Hell, why not. We take his car and pick the girls up, I figure we will go to one of the malls to watch this secrety flick, nope. He pulls up to that big Chinese Theater in LA. We are going in to see Beetlejuice with prized tickets in hand. Got to meet all the stars of the movie and the only things that I truly remember or that sticks in my memory is how absolutely beautiful and sweet Geena Davis is, how cool Micheal Keaton is, how weird Tim Burton is, and how much an asshole Alex Baldwin was and still is.
    During the Persian Gulf War I was on the command ship of 7th fleet which was also where all the big wig meetings took place. Got to meet General Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. and General Colin Powell. Their was many others, important people of state and other countries, but these two men were two of my heroes and were to me the two most important people in history at the moment and I’m just proud to have gotten to shake both these men’s hands.

Largeandy and Basshole like this.