Wondering about overheating

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by PileOParts, Jun 4, 2019.

1. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

On I-65 south of Birmingham, AL, there is a very long stretch where it is impossible to get off the highway. Ends at Clanton. 18-wheeler wrecked there, closed down southbound I-65 entirely. In our cage we got caught in a walking-speed backup for two-and-a-half hours. Ambient temperature high 80s, maybe low 90s. Got to wondering if an air-cooled motorcycle engine would overheat in that situation. Any thoughts?

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Even 15 min at an idle will over heat an air cooled engine. As I see it your options would be , shut off the bike, lane split , ride up the break down lane or make a u-turn. I have done them all.

3. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Thanx Glad were in a cage. I've used the breakdown lane before in a less extended back-up, for that very concern.

4. BigDawg

BigDawg Active Member

Yeah, I got stuck on I-77 South coming out of Charlotte one time. I ended up running a good bit down the break down lane. No one lane splits in the south and, in fact, it's illegal in SC. Anyway, after about 5-6 miles running about 25-30 mph a cop pulled me over. Once I explained that I had an air cooled engine and that I wasn't going to burn it up sitting he traffic, he gave me the go ahead.

Another time, this time on I-95 (I think) I ended up running up a freshly finished third lane that was not open yet - still separated by barrels.

I don't like the idea of stopping and continually restarting the engine as traffic starts moving.

BD

doublej, Alpal and JayFL459 like this.
  5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Got stuck on 85 North of Atlanta car fire. It was a dead stop. We were 3 miles back. Took the breakdown lane. When I got to the front there was a trooper waiting. To my surprise he got me past the mess while the cars had to wait. He had a sleeve tattoo. My guess is he rides and understood but yes. The bike was getting hot.

6. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Fortunate you drew an understanding cop. I guess there are a few of them around. My luck: I got pulled over in Albany, GA, when I was in my 20s for timing a pass through a parking lane at a red light turning green. It was a sergeant whose own men had been forced to evict him from his house that morning during a nasty divorce. I wound up incarcerated until my father-in-law, who was wired with the police auxiliary, sprung me.

7. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

They might get hot but they still look cool:cool:
    Hopefully the rear cylinder shut down will solve the heat problem going forward.

PileOParts likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Nice to have friends, ain't it? ,....Even ones you haven't met before!,......

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  9. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Undoubtedly will help, but then it's sort of like a single-cylinder air-cooled sitting still and baking. I think risk of damage is still there, but maybe only on one of two cylinders -- and that's enough.

10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Surely Guys, its not rocket science, ........You're stuck in traffic or whatever,......the bike heats up,......if it gets too hot turn the fudger off!!! Please dont tell me you would leave an engine running until it seized!!!!!:eek::oops:o_O:confused::(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:,....come on,....please!!!!

11. theMucker

theMucker Well-Known Member

There are so many posts about the Thunder Stroke models running hot. It seems to me that some clarification may be needed. If the RIDER is running hot, he may need to be cooled down and all humans should know how that's accomplished. But a person soaked in sweat does NOT mean that the engine is overheating.

Think about it... it is a large displacement air cooled engine. It's supposed to get hot. How hot is TOO HOT? If you have a dip stick with a temperature gauge on top, you can check it out and see how hot the oil is and that's a pretty good indicator of what's happening overall. But don't get upset if you see the oil temp hit 220-F. Even liquid cooled engines have thermostats that don't open until the coolant hits 190 to 220 degrees. In fact, if the oil doesn't get near or above 212-F, it can't get rid of water contamination. If you see temps rise FAST and/or hit 240-F or above, it's time to either get that thing rolling down the road or shut it off until it cools off.

Bottom line, if you have no way to know the actual temperature of your engine, remember this... if it's sitting still or in heavy traffic and the idle gets rough, hunts up & down, maybe wants to stall, that's a good indication of overheating and if it continues to heat up, the engine will suffer damage and/or may seize.

PileOParts, BigDawg, Warlock and 6 others like this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

On you Mucker!,......The voice of reason with a little science thrown in,.....
    Alpal

Warlock and theMucker like this.
  13. theMucker

theMucker Well-Known Member

As a personal note... back when I rode air cooled Japanese Superbikes I still had to deal with the overpopulation of Long Island traffic and it was common to get caught in horrible traffic. Naturally the summers are the worst. It was not unusual to be sitting still in traffic, HEAT from the engine wafting up, trying to broil me and noticing that my engine's idle was getting ratty. Time to shut it down and WALK IT along as traffic crawled forward slower than Jabba the Hut over sand paper.
    CB750s, KZ650s, Z1s, GS1000s etc. were NOT prone to overheating as a design fault either. But they DID require airflow over their cooling fins. The rider (and passenger), on the other hand, had WORSE cooling systems in the same conditions. :sweat:

Warlock likes this.
  14. silverr1

silverr1 New Member

Does the engine throw a code when it gets too hot or warning light? I know the ECU is monitoring engine temp because I can see it when I plug in my Power Vision.

15. silverr1

silverr1 New Member

theMucker likes this.
  16. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Thanks for the overheating symptoms. Valuable information and new to me.

17. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

LOL !! Very expressive !