1. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Why is it that cruiser type motor cycles do not come with fully adjustable suspension.

It is everywhere on many makes, and style / models of bikes, and most are of comparable pricing, also many that are cheaper.

When you have to pay Here in NZ 25-29K for a new Chief and then need to spend heaps on top just to get tuned suspension, seems to me to be a rip off.

I would rather forgo all that traction control navigation junk to have top suspension ANYDAY.

2. muz

muz Bronze Member

good point, true that

Bobby Jesus and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  3. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

I’d just like to have one that the seat fits my ass correctly. 4 brand new bikes all have seats that within one hour to two and your butt is throbbing like you just did a hour of squats.
    To me, a bike building company only needs to get a few things on my bike correct.
    1. Foot placement (floorboards and or pegs) this goes for you and passenger
    2. Bars, proper placement for long rides is essential the older I get.
    3. Seat, how hard is it to design and build a seat that can fit people’s butt. I know everybody has a different butt, but design seats and sell different ones on the bike instead of standard.
    4. Rear suspension, this is as important as the seat. Wrong placement of shock and everything is into your back and hips.

Indian is the closes I’ve came to finding perfect. Only exception is the seat.

Indians chief mono shock is as comfortable as the HD softtail I use to have.

you spend $20,000+ on a bike, then have to replace seats, bars, and sometimes pegs and suspension. I’d rather by a naked (without those four even on the damn thing for like $18000 and upgrade the purchase to things that I like instead of purchasing the bike then having to purchase all the new stuff to go with it.

#3 will, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:39 PM
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 11:46 PM
  4. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Exactly Will and the masters of this sadly are Indian and HD.
    I have owned a few Japers and Ducati"s in my time never needed to change those shocks or seats. But all my 7 Harleys needed seat changes and both the Indians also.

will likes this.
  5. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

I’m fortunate for a change. But I do agree with this. Luckily on my 18 chieftain limited the seat and ride just work for me. 900 mile day NP and suspension love it.

Notaharley, Bobby Jesus and muz like this.
  6. zee

zee New Member

You can thank Harley for it.

They mastered the art of convincing people that they are selling a canvas that customers use to customize to their needs. They _could have_ added a comfortable seat and decent suspension, but for that they want you to move to a more expensive bike.

Indian Scout Bobber comes with an unusable seat. Almost everyone upgrades it. Indian itself sells the "comfort seat". Why isn't "comfort" important by default? Because Indian knows a chunk of the buyers will pay extra to buy it. Cheaper Honda Rebel and Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki and Triumphs all have perfectly fine seats, but not Indian.

Scout Bobber's suspension is also garbage. It's legit bad. If you want better suspension, move to the Chief Bobber. But it can't be adjusted, for that you have to move up to the Vintage.

Scouts are throttle by wire so they can easily have the cruise control, but they don't because Indian wants you to move to a bigger bike for that.

And on and on.

That's a big issue I have with the American bikes. I paid through my nose to get the Springfield Dark Horse and yet I had to pay extra to get heated grips and LED lights even at that price range!

Hopefully with more competition from Triumph and BMW they'll start to fix it.

7. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Is your central complaint that the OEMs sell premium components as upgrades vice standard equipment?

8. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

Victory Cross bikes have GREAT seats.
    With my HDs, I had to immediately throw the stock seat away.

I agree with you. I believe the new Chieftain seat is fantastic. I have not sat in it more than an hour, but loved it.

My 2015 Chieftain was "ok"

9. zee

zee New Member

No, my complaint is that Indian and Harley (not all OEMs) charge premium prices for bikes they advertise as premium bikes but you pretty much have to replace basic components for comfort.

You can buy a $30,000 Indian and still have to pay another $300 (+ labor) to get a heated grip.

10. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

Not true if you buy a Roadmaster LOL standard equipment. At aprox $30,000

11. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

I have a friend with a Ducati Pikes Peak edition that would strongly disagree with you about the seat.100 miles was the limit and he has ridden the Hoka Hey twice so I think that qualifies him to complain. Anyway he was getting ready to trade it in until someone told him about Sargent seats in Jacksonville Fl. He sent them his seat, they did their thing and now 5-600 mile days are easy for him.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  12. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

So...you don't care for American motorcycle standard equipment and for the price point, you'd prefer different options. Is that fair?

13. zee

zee New Member

On the contrary, when I planned to move to a larger bike from my Scout Bobber, Harley (Road King Special) and Indian were the only two companies I considered.

It is possible to like the overall product and still talk about its shortcomings.