Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by USA_NDN, Feb 15, 2021.

1. USA_NDN

USA_NDN Member

I have a 2019 White Smoke Springfield Dark Horse. Love it! The plan all along was to give it to wife once she was ready to move up from our Scout, which she loves. She was on my SFDH on Saturday and didn't want to give it back to me! LOL. I guess it's time...

So here is my dilemma. I love the 2019 SFDH and have found a brand new 2019 SFDH in Thunder Black Smoke. I know it well since I've been riding the White Smoke. I don't care for the new SFDH. I don't like the tank badge and I don't care for the squared off saddlebags. However I do really like the 2021 Vintage DH with the leather bags. I know the hard bags are more convenient, but I like the look. Performance wise should be very similar to the 2019 SFDH with the 111 TS.

Price is very similar, so would you buy the new 2019 SFDH or the 2021 Vintage DH?

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Do you tour or just "kick around "? If you're gonna tour, hard bags are far better for convenience and weather proofing.

3. USA_NDN

USA_NDN Member

Mostly kick around. Occasional long rides. I've put on 2400 miles over the last 2 1/2 months, so it doesn't just sit in the garage. I've had leather bags on another bike and the hard bags on the SFDH, so I understand the difference. I like the convenience of the hard bags, but I like the look of the leather.

4. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

It's a tough call, they are very similar in appearance. It's not just the bags, though. Open vs Valanced Fenders . . .

BD

doublej likes this.
  5. USA_NDN

USA_NDN Member

Yep, their are some slight differences. Vintage sits about 2" shorter, mainly due to the 17" front wheel I think. The Vintage is also about 2" longer. But all in all they look very similar and is one of the things I love about both of them.

6. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

Hard bags are better all around....but you can upgrade to them.
    Open fenders don't have the rust problem and cleaning the bike is waaay easier, lol.

The newer bike will be worth more in 5 years when you're buying the new 108 Springfield.

I hated the idea of 3 dumb latches to get into the bags. Drove me nuts. I use my bags alot. In and out constantly.

I, too, love the look of the 2019.

Do what you want and send us pictures!

Ling and Baldhead_J like this.
  7. zee

zee New Member

Since you already have the SDH, go for the Vintage. I really like the look and ended up getting SDH because it's my only bike. If I had a tourer, I wouldn't even think beyond the Vintage. I love the look.

8. USA_NDN

USA_NDN Member

Thanks for all of the feedback! After much thought and comparison, with the 2021 Vintage being so close to the same bike as the 2019 Springfield, I've decided to go with the 2021 Vintage Dark Horse. Yes I am compromising on the bags, but the overall performance is virtually identical to the 2019 SFDH and the frame is now the same, so the ride should be about the same too. That gives us two different looking bikes with no compromise in performance. Now I just need to sell her Scout and find a 2021 Vintage. But at least I know the direction to go now.

Here is my current bike (soon to be wife's)
    Untitled.jpg

Here is my soon to be new bike

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.50.36 PM.png