What did you do to your Springfield today

Discussion in 'Indian Springfield' started by Vintage, Jun 17, 2017.

1. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

This will be a two part story . . . What I am going to do - and how did I go?

I have been tossing and turning about what tyres (Aussie spelling!) to get on my 17SF next and was just getting some quotes for Pirelli Night Dragons, when I found this yesterday. The back end was sounding a bit strange (the bike's that is!!), so I pulled over to take a look and just happened to have stopped in the exact position to see this staring back at me. I was able to limp home on about 35 psi - just taking it easy.

It looks like the Stop & Go tyre plugger and Rocky Creek air compressor that I bought earlier this year are about to step up and show me what they can do.

It also means that the Elite 3s have finally given me what I need to justify the new tyre spend, even though there is still a bit of life in them (they have done 16,000 kms).

Stand by for an update on how I went . . . Gulp!

upload_2020-9-1_8-38-10.jpeg upload_2020-9-1_8-38-31.jpeg

muz and Alpal like this.
  2. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Damn those stray screws, exact same thing on my car last week.
    Looking at those other cuts in that tyre you might have run over more then one screw, hope there's no damage to the front one.

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  3. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Holy cow....
    Was you behind a roofing truck?
    I'm in the same boat..... I'll need new "tyres" by the end of riding season. Got close to 17,000 miles on Commander II's as of now. Another 1500-2000 is all that's left.
    Much better mileage than original Elite 3's (12,500).

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That screw is well travelled,.......When in Wanganui a while back in the Z3 I noticed a repetitive tap, tap,tap as I drove around,.......pulled up,......checked all the tyres, ( Aussie AND Burtlander spelling!:p,...) finding in the last one I checked (of course,.... ) your yet to be claimed screw. 30 dollars later and screw in hand I ended up down at the wharf,......facing Australia,.....so,....with all the might I could muster I heaved the offending screw into the ocean,....which leads to Australia:p,......so it made good time getting to Sydney Buddy!;),.....No good throwing it back at me Bud,......tides and currents are against you!,.....Hah!!!!:mad::mad::mad:,......told you I'd get you back!!!!:mad:
    Alpal

muz, Rodd and JuanPoopalot like this.
  5. JuanPoopalot

Damn you @Alpal - you got me good ! !

Scouts Honour likes this.
  6. JuanPoopalot

Part 2 . . .

The "Stop & Go Tyre Plugger" worked a treat. Got the hole plugged in about 15 minutes and it took the little portable compressor about 10 more minutes to fill her up with some of @Alpal 's hot air. He has plenty to spare, so don't worry, it won't run out . . . ;):D:p

I highly recommend this product and very pleased that I have had a rehearsal in case it happens in a less convenient place in the future.

The culprit - apparently thrown over the Tasman Sea by @Alpal . . . :mad::mad:

IMG_3372.jpg

The product . . . (complete with spelling anomaly)

IMG_3375.jpg

Hole plugged - ready for air.

IMG_3374.jpg

Compressor doing its thing - albeit slowly . . . but it got there.

IMG_3373.jpg

Finally got to about 41 psi - will check that it is holding up this afternoon at the servo.

IMG_3376.jpg

Plug trimmed and ready to ride - although I will be changing over the tyres within a couple of weeks.

I will also be keeping an eye on the TPMS every ride for awhile.

IMG_3379.jpg

The end . . .

#66 JuanPoopalot, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    muz, Alpal and Rodd like this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Glad I could help Buddy,.........:cool::cool:

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  8. JuanPoopalot

Yeah, thats a good point.

I will check the front one a bit more closely.

9. muz

muz Bronze Member

You do realize that Alpals screw has a sealing ring on it. You should have just screwed it in flush with the tire and saved your plug for another time. Be keen to hear how it holds out that plug as I have the same.

JuanPoopalot and Alpal like this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

:p:p:p:p:p

11. JuanPoopalot

Ha! Now there is a sentence you wouldn’t read everyday on a friendly forum.

I will keep you posted on how it performs. I checked it late today and it was spot on 41 psi.

muz and Alpal like this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

( :oops:o_O:confused:,.......How the fudge did Muz find out????????,.....:confused:o_O:oops:,.......)

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  13. muz

muz Bronze Member

Steph told me, hahaha

JuanPoopalot, Alpal and Scouts Honour like this.
  14. JuanPoopalot

Hey @muz - it has been 3 weeks now and it is holding up well so far. I rode it around town for the first week, with no issues. Then we went on a break for nearly 2 weeks with the SF sitting in the garage. When I got home, I went for a quick trip and I noticed straight away that the TPMS had trouble picking up a signal. I was a little concerned and after a visual check, I made a bee line for the servo to make sure. By the time I got there, the TPMS was showing 42 psi and the servo meter read the same - so all good.

I was meant to be getting new tyres installed on Tuesday, along with a service, but the dealer rang to say the rear tyre has now been moved to “back order”, with little chance of it arriving before mid November. So it looks like I will be giving the plug a much bigger test than originally thought, because I have a couple of longer rides planned between now and then.

Another update to follow . . .

Alpal likes this.
  15. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Hey @JuanPoopalot are you're still heading to Silverton? I saw online the floodwaters running through there yesterday. You keep safe mate.

16. JuanPoopalot

Thanks mate, but the trip has basically been Corona-ed. Most of the riders were coming out of Victoria and they still have a padlock on their border. I understand one or two From here are still doing the ride, but I think things are too restricted to have a good time, so will pass for now, which is a bummer.

I saw the flooding in the streets of Broken Hill on the news and thought how weird it would be there right now, especially on a bike.

Hoping there will be another attempt to do the trip as a group when things are back to normal.

Scouts Honour, Alpal and Rodd like this.
  17. JuanPoopalot

So it took me until last week to finally get the tyres and service all lined up. That means the plug was in for about 3.5 months, during which time I went on several decent rides, including one to the Central Coast (about 1.5 hours away) in 43° C (110° F) - which saw the pressures head up to above 50psi in front and 47 in rear. I was a rolling sweat bomb . . .

After that trip, I put a couple of pounds back into the tyres, but it has been pretty well sitting on 41 psi (+/- 1) for almost the entire time. The plug worked a treat and I would certainly be confident finishing a long trip with a tyre plugged - and maybe even leaving in there for a very long time.

It's a strong recommendation for the Stop & Go product from me. You do need to carry a portable compressor as well . . . obviously.

A footnote is that I changed my mind a couple of times with the tyres and ended up going with Avon Cobra Chromes (via Night Dragons and M3s).

Time will tell, but the reviews were solid.

18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi @JuanPoopalot ,.....I use Avon Cobras on the Scout when I can't get Conti Tours,......Both brands are built with longevity and grip in mind,........Been using Conti's for over 25 years now,....
    Alpal

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  19. JuanPoopalot

Thanks mate - I reckon I am on a winner with all the positive feedback I have read over recent times. Trouble is though, there are soooo many to pick from.

Pretty sure I wont miss the Dunlop Elites . . . even though several people were quite happy with them! To each his own.

20. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, you are right,.....to each his own,.....I am sure you can get two guys riding the same bike with the same tyres,......one will have good results, the other?,....not so good,.....and the difference can be tyre pressures, the riders weight,....do they two up or not,....is one a gentle rider and the other a go at it rider,.......so many variables,......
    Alpal

JuanPoopalot likes this.