What did you do to your Springfield today

Discussion in 'Indian Springfield' started by Vintage, Jun 17, 2017.

1. kemosahbee

kemosahbee New Member

"man bun"?? Thought that was a saddle horn for the boyfriend!! Always learning around here.

And all I did to mine was put the 2020 tag on it...30* is a bit too cool for my aging bones.

Kelz likes this.
  2. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

2 things actually.

#1. After ordering a Kuryakyn Heel Shifter about a year ago, I finally dragged it out of the Springfield special drawer and installed it (about 2 weeks ago). I have spent the riding time since then getting used to it, which takes a bit. I am enjoying it the more I use it, so its‘ a keeper.

#2. Because I hadn’t spent any coin on the Injun of late, I did the two silliest things one can do, when combined:
    1. Surf the forums looking for something to spend some money on, and
    2. Open a nice bottle of red to help me make decisions
    Anyway, the red wine fairy got to work and a week later, a Custom Dynamics Magic Strobe brake modulator arrived in my letterbox. Fitted it in 5 minutes flat - and it works a treat.

If anyone else has one of these, what setting do you use? (mine is on #6 atm)

Happy days!!

#42 JuanPoopalot, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    IROQUOIS, Kelz and BKCTPD like this.
  3. Kelz

Kelz Active Member

28893CED-F923-4818-A057-1E2B785E403A.jpeg 217D2E6A-EDFC-4F21-9F4C-B9E479DD651F.jpeg 12CBF2C0-FC6D-4794-9184-AD2AFD735E7E.jpeg Ok (drum roll.....) ladies & gents, finally completed the Zambini tank emblems and fender war bonnet install on my 2020 SDH!!!! Got the eyes lit up with bright LEDs and completed the wiring successfully on the first try! Added red paint to “Indian” so it would stand out more, I like the final results. Anyone who wants to do something similar, I’ve got plenty of tips (especially what NOT to do) to save you time/ frustration.
    DC79BB97-4E8A-47D4-AF51-F9B03A6E5EFD.jpeg

muz, BKCTPD, Rodd and 6 others like this.
  4. JuanPoopalot

Wow! That looks amazing - great job.

IROQUOIS and Kelz like this.
  5. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Clean and mean. Looks very effective, well done to you

6. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

That really looks sharp, @Kelz!

IROQUOIS, Kelz and Baldhead_J like this.
  7. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

@Kelz - Did the emblem go over the top of the Indian head decal? I like the added color. What paint did you use for that? Was it necessary to heat and shape the emblems while applying them?

8. BKCTPD

BKCTPD Well-Known Member

That is bad ass!

Baldhead_J, IROQUOIS and Kelz like this.
  9. Kelz

Kelz Active Member

Hi Aargow, I had to remove the stock tank emblems first (I think the Zambini emblems are smaller than the painted decal Indian head like the one on my old Chief DH). Best results for me was to use a heavier duty fishing line & just saw it back/forth/up/down behind the emblem to break the near 1/4” thick gray 3M-like adhesive foam tape. Several online videos suggest to use a hair dryer to warm the adhesive up first and/or spray WD40 behind emblem using thin straw attachment to soak the adhesive foam & break it down to help remove it. I did that on the first side, it worked but the gray adhesive foam broke up into small bits that were a pain in the a** to fully remove with GooGone to fully dissolve the adhesive residue (& trying not to damage the matte paint finish with too much hard rubbing). Meanwhile, hubby walks up to the other side of the tank & just goes to town with the fishing line (no heat or WD40) and removes the emblem with nearly the entire foam adhesive backing intact so cleaning up the left over residue was much easier. Caution, the stock emblems are aluminum and have very sharp edges and you gotta commit, because they get ruined in the removal attempt (see pics), no changing your mind and try to put them back on.

After cleaning off GooGone/ WD40 using mild soapy water and letting naked tank dry fully, I decided placement & measured SO many times to place them evenly on both sides - challenging since tank is rounded. I used a hair dryer to slowly heat & “gently” bend/curve the Zambini emblem to match curve of tank where I decided to place them. Takes A LOT of patience & multiple checks back & forth to tank, has to be done slowly because Zambini emblems are some kind of plastic with decorative painted overlay. I didn’t want to melt them too much or damage the paint finish, the head and the very end feather tip needed the most curving & those are the most fragile areas. I found transparent silicone (RTV) worked the best to stick the new emblems on but after applying to back of emblem, let it set for 5-7 min to start getting tacky before pressing it onto side of tank, it grabs/ holds better. I did it too soon after applying silicone on first attempt and the silicone was too loose & emblem starting sliding down before I could tape in place with painters tape - big mess!!!! Cleaned up easily but then had to start all over again with cleaning/ prepping tank side. Lots of painters tape & 24 hr curing time ensured solid hold.

For the red lettering, I used.... well, dark red nail polish, a very fine paint brush & lots of Qtips to clean up over paint spots immediately. Lol, I was just going to do a small spot to see if I’d like the lettering to stand out & then didn’t stop till I was finished. I plan on going over it again with actual Indian motorcycle paint from the touch up pens they sell :)
    42A6FA9A-9365-41FD-A92C-9FADC3BEC42D.jpeg 06CC6373-CDEF-4D45-8025-EE77320B3D03.jpeg 654110D8-FB71-4FD1-A97A-DB5395C56025.jpeg

10. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, @Kelz.
    I'm working up the courage to embark on a similar project. One possibility is going with the Zambini badges. If I go that route, I'd want to paint them and I have to do something with the decals on my tank as they are large.

Kelz and IROQUOIS like this.
  11. BKCTPD

BKCTPD Well-Known Member

Took my bike out of the bubble ........ now moving my wife and Into the bubble!

JuanPoopalot, IROQUOIS and Aargow like this.
  12. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Well done, great job. looks fantastic, we still don't have any 2020 Springfield Dark Horses here in New Zealand.Maybe we aren't getting them. All 4, yes only 4, dealers have a Jack Daniels on their floor though, and at a comparable price to the Chieftain Limiteds. Hmmm

13. 2020Springfield

Picture of my last day of riding before the 126 BBK install began. Lloyd's 885 cams, 3 angle valve job, port/polished and dyno tuned. Hope to have her complete by next weekend. Changing out the Freedom Liberty's for Rinehart 4' slip on's, keeping the True Duels.

2020 Springfield.jpg

Rankdog and muz like this.
  14. Dabs

Dabs New Member

In the UK we are slowly coming out of lockdown, so took the day for a ride out to meet mates at a bike meet, very quiet still for a while.
    I rode my Springfield through narrow country lanes trying to avoid 4×4 cars going to garden centres also opening today
    We all chatted at a distance and rode off to find a cafe selling bacon sandwiches on a take out basis. We all had a good ride home, and now I can plan future rides now we have more freedoms and still remorceing out lost events this year.
    Ride safe and enjoy ..

Big A likes this.
  15. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Did you say "bacon sandwiches"? There need be no remorse in your life when you have the Lord's Grace so readily apparent!

TJinSD and IROQUOIS like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

It's a Burtland thing too,........

17. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

@Kelz Can you describe the wiring process you followed for your warbonnet? I'm super curious about the drilling, sealing, routing under the fender, and where you connected in to a circuit.
    Thanks, you're a complete badass.

18. Levi Edens

Levi Edens New Member

I washed mine today

19. TJinSD

TJinSD Member

Probably too late of a response, but I finally decided to leave mine on whatever setting only flashes the brake light. 2 reasons: trailbraking in the hills makes for a lot of flashing lights, and, flashing lights and a turn signal just seemed like a lot of potential for confusing whatever might be behind me. I should mention that I also changed the turn signals. I don't remember if that changes how many lights actually flash.

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  20. JuanPoopalot

A good approach I reckon. You definitely don't want to create any confusion when you are actually trying to make it clear that you are braking!!

Mine is a brake light only system, so I am there already!

Safe riding.