What are your gear recommendations?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Riding Gear & Accessories' started by NickJ, Feb 10, 2020.

1. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

What gear do you ride with and recommend?

Helmet?

Gloves?

Jacket?

Pants?

Boots/Shoes?

IROQUOIS and sidecarsam like this.
  2. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

Helmet -
    • Upright riding and adventure touring: Arai XD-4
    • Track riding: Bell Race Star
    • Commuting: HJC RPHA-11
    I have and wear all three. I also recommend wearing hearing protection and I use the No Noise ear plugs.

Gloves -
    • Street riding/commuting: Held Sambia
    • Track riding: RS Taichi GP-WRX
    • Adventure riding: BMW Enduroguard
    I have and wear all three.

Jacket -
    • When it's hot: Dainese mesh jacket
    • Adventure riding: Rev'it Sand II (affordable pricing)
    • Adventure riding: BMW Enduroguard (way better jacket but also really fucking expensive)
    • Running around: Triumph Steve McQueen (a relic from a former bike, but I really like the jacket)
    I have and wear all of these jackets. I have become VERY partial to the BMW protection. It is more comprehensive protection and covers a lot more of the joints they are protecting than most others. I also put a nice back protector (BMW or Rev'it) in every jacket.

Pants -
    • Street/commuting: Maple Jeans kevlar reinforced jeans
    • Street/commuting: BMW 5-pocket jeans
    • Adventure riding: BMW GS Dry Pants
    I have and wear all of these pants.

Boots/Shoes -
    • Street/commuting: BMW Ride Sneakers / BMW Dry Ride Sneakers
    • Track/aggressive street riding: Alpinestars SMX Plus
    • Adventure riding: Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro
    • Street/commuting: Indian Motorcycle/Red Wing Spirit Lake/Iron Ranger
    I have and wear all of these boots. The Indian/Red Wing work boots are probably on par with the BMW sneakers as far as protection. Here is why:
    • There is no ankle protection in the work boots other than a layer of leather that comes up 8". The BMW shoes have lateral and medial malleolus pucks.
    • The sneakers have a stiffer than average sole but it is still bendy. The work boots have a stiffer midfoot, but everywhere else it is about the same.
    • They both have heel and toe box reenforcement.

I had another pair of work boots with similar construction to the Indian/Red Wings and my left foot was shattered after it bent around the peg in an accident.

Even looking at the "built specifically for motorcycling" race boots that are on par with many of the boots you will find on the MotoGP and Flat Track grids, they are still malleable enough that they would not have saved my foot from that accident. Motocross boots would have, but short of that, nah.

sidecarsam and Lake City Larry like this.
  3. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Helmet? Shoei RF-1200 - Great Helmet, highly recomended

Gloves? Fox Creek leather gauntlets for cold weather; Indian leather gloves for mild weather and tactical fabric gloves for warm weather - I like all three of these gloves but I can't really recommend them over others.

Jacket? Fox Creek Leather Jacket for cool to cold weather and an Indian Mesh jacket for hot weather - Both of these jackets are good quality, especially the Fox Creek Leather. I'd recommend both. I've purchased quality armor for each (shoulder, elbow, and spine).

Pants? Rev'it Austin Jeans - nice quality, good knee protection, added hip protection. I would recommend but the cuff is very tight over my boots. just bought a pair of Klim Switchbacks (haven't had a chance to ride with them)

Boots/Shoes? TCX Hero WP Boots - Really good protective boot. Old pair of lace-up HD boots - Very comfortable and durable boots. Chippewa knee-high riding boots - I don't think they make these anymore. They are not very comfortable.

4. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Helmet? - < 90 F Simpson Modular Bandit > 90 F Simpson OTW "Over The Wall" half helmet

Gloves? Cold Weather: A pair of Cabelas gauntlet Snowmobile gloves Most other times: Indian leather full finger > 90 F: finger less gloves or nothing

Jacket? Cold Weather: Fox Creek Leather Classic Motorcycle Jacket Men's Classic Motorcycle Jacket II Most other times: Indian Mesh > 90 F: A cutoff T-shirt

Pants?: < 90 F: jeans or if it's chilly Duluth Fire Hose pants > 90 F: Jeans

Boots/Shoes?: < 90 F: Under Armor or Bates 8" 'correction style' boots >90 F Alpine Star Ridge Two Air Boot Ridge-2 Air Boot nice boots for hot weather. Found the soles do wear out (and get slippery) after a long season of riding.

IROQUOIS, sidecarsam and Aargow like this.
  5. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Gloves and Jacket. Harley-Davidson FXRG. My jacket is an older model and a bit heavy for hot weather but newer ones are good 4 season jackets.

IROQUOIS, sidecarsam and Aargow like this.
  6. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Arai XD-4 helmet
    Sidi AllRoad boots
    Indian leather jacket
    HD heated gloves
    Gerbing heated liners

7. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Wow. I didn't really have gear that I wore for Every ride.
    I always wore gloves - the type depended on the conditions.
    Helmet also depended on the conditions. I wore one about 80% of the time. My favorite for trips was a Nolan Modular.
    Jacket - I had 2 a Leather one covered in Patches and a Joe Rocket Armoured Cloth Jacket. I didn't always wear a Jacket though.
    Pants - First Gear Armoured Pants, only worn in nasty weather. Usually jeans, never shorts.
    Footwear - most often Converse Hightop canvas tennies - also known as Felony Flyers. In nasty weather I wore Joe Rocket Boots. I got the Indian Riding Shoes for my Birthday so that is what I was wearing when riding my Indian after that.
    I was only an ATGATT guy in nasty weather.

8. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Same with me @sidecarsam

Helmet- Indian half helmet or skull cap

Jacket- warm... usually denim

Gloves- Sedici

Pants- 14oz denim jeans

Boots- Doc Marten ( very few boot manuf. have my size)

#8 IROQUOIS, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    doublej, sidecarsam and Aargow like this.
  9. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Helmet? Simpson Mod Bandit

Gloves? Motostuka Shanks

Jacket? Black Brand Carnivore leather with armor, or Indian Mesh Lightweight

Pants? Bullit Easy Fit

Boots/Shoes? Durango Harness Boots

...and always a black t-shirt and a wallet chain. I can't stand feeling like I'll end up at a hotel or bar, and my wallet will be in the middle of some road somewhere.

#9 Gator Mcklusky, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  10. rusty nuts

rusty nuts Active Member

Helmet - Indian half helmet or HJC Modular. The Future Mrs. uses a Shoei modular. I may invest in one myself next time.

Gloves - have several depending on weather. All leather

Jacket - Joe Rocket mesh for warm weather and a nice Indian leather jacket for all others

Pants - Duluth Trading Firehose (not he flex). Comfy and durable.

Boots/Shoes - Picked up a couple pair of new Bates riding boots at a deep discount from a member online