Vic Baggers Chopped Tour Pack for the Chieftain "family"

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Riding Gear & Accessories' started by Baldhead_J, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

[I'm assuming all the spool diameters post 2019 model year are the same now so, really this will work "bolt-on" for model years 2020-... or any previous Vintage or Chief with Chieftain spools]

Here's the link to purchase/investigate parts & paint options: https://www.vicbaggers.com/product-page/chopped-tour-pack-kit-for-indian

For my birthday, my over-generous girlfriend bought me the powfer-coated rack and color matched chopped tour pack from Vic Baggers. It was waiting for me at home when we got back from Key West [from order to arrival was ~6 weeks] post pictures here as I go through the assembly process, today.

First impressions:
    1) This is SOLID American made CNC or water-jetted aluminum(?). I'd accuse it of being steel due to the weight of the rack's three components but it's unlikely. I'm impressed. 【A+】

2) The hardware is likely locally sourced as it's 9/16's.

20211005_100146.jpg

3) Whoever designed this thought it out, as the four outside nuts are flanged and the two centers are lock nuts. 【A+】

4) The trunk is solid rigid plastic with just a little flex. The hinge hardware is serious stuff and the retaining mechanism is a spring-tensioned ribbon spool. The lock/latch combo is a serious two piece clam shell type with star key lock. It's impressive. The trunk came with a rubber mat to line the bottom and all hardware, to include plastic spool covers) required.【A+】
    20211005_111313.jpg 20211005_111606.jpg 20211005_112200-COLLAGE.jpg

More later, as I go....
    20211005_112733.jpg

Here we go:

1) I ignored the instruction to mount the side brackets to the outside of the baseplate because that seemed counterintuitive to the minimization of damage in the case of a catastrophe.
    20211005_103527.jpg

I also left BOTH sets of OEM spool bushings in place and the fitment seems perfect. This is NOT what the directions call for, so buyer beware.

Tip to other idiots: Remove your bag fairings before you try to test fit the rack assembly. Seems obvious right? Brain injuries and stupidity are a bitch.

20211005_114503.jpg

#1 Baldhead_J, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Done. Need to go have Corbin do the backrest.

IMG_20211005_161713.jpg

tthunder38, Rocko, Ling and 3 others like this.
  3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

That looks good

Gina, Baldhead_J and IROQUOIS like this.
  4. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

Looks great and sounds like an awesome product from a quality and fit POV, albeit with your modified methods.

Nice work!

Gina and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Tnx Juan. It all worked out aces.

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  6. Yirkash

Yirkash Member

Looks great, but I'm curious as to why you (or anybody) chose the "shorter" tour pack instead of the "taller", bigger one. I'm not trying to be an arse or be antagonistic, it's really an honest question.

I'm asking because to me it seems that, once you decide to have a back trunk, a larger one would be more useful. And those "shorter" ones seem to not be able to hold too much luggage anyway. But I see a lot of people using them, so I feel like there must be a reason I'm missing, some factor that I'm just not grasping. So that's why I'm asking.

7. Ling

Ling Well-Known Member

@Baldhead_J - Very nice! I have been looking at that one and another option made by Performance Parts International (https://www.thepropad.com/slim-tour-pack-system-for-2014-indian-motorcycles/). It looks nearly identical to yours. I've seen other ones that have a steel mounting plate that goes inside the pack and supposedly makes the pack more secure. Is yours secure enough without a mounting plate?

I've also seen a lot of people mention that a full face helmet won't fit in a chopped pack, but everyone tries putting it in upright. Will a full face fit inside if it is laid on its side?

Bottom line - really nice addition! Love the look!

8. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

George Jetson would be jealous.

tthunder38 likes this.
  9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

They look like shit. That's the whole reason.

10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

The rack is a flat backing plate and an internal one certainly wouldn't hurt but the supplied hardware seems fully beefy enough to distribute any stress while the mold seems fully thick enough to defray stress. The bold size is deadnuts 5/16ths and I've got a drill bit that did exactly that, so vibration at the penetrations should be nearly zilch. Time will tell, but I feel quite confident.

The only way a full face helmet is fitting in here is if it belongs to a Lego biker. There's plenty of space for stuff but these are definitely prioritize fashion over function.

Ling likes this.
  11. Yirkash

Yirkash Member

Fair enough, very valid reason. :blush:

Baldhead_J likes this.