Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by se7en10, Jun 10, 2018.

1. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Indian of Ocala gives 6 Free Services for a 3 Year Period for $1300.. Assuming do all 6 Services from 500 Mile to 25,000 by the 15,000 Service which includes doing the Forks, you become Money ahead so basically your 20,000 & 25,000 are Virtually Free and even your 15K is puts you 200-300 ahead .. Money well spent if have good wrenches in your Service Dept .. Helps with Warranty Issues as well both my Starter and TPMS Replacement were done at No Charge and was even their idea and not mine ..

muz likes this.
  2. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

I agree that tighter would be more of a problem, running rough and possibly leading to burnt valves, but my tech has not heard of them getting tighter. While I didn't see the shims that were replaced he did mention that several were showing signs of mechanical wear, even slight indents. 7 of the 8 were replaced. Presumably removing the slack by setting the clearances back to spec would have had a positive effect on power since the engine would breath better with the valves opening earlier and further. Mine did have extra power leaving the shop but I also had new plugs and a performance intake installed at the same time so I don't know how much of the extra could be attributed to the valves.

3. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Actually know several that had their Valve Clearance Checked at 20,000 Miles ( A bit more than 32,000 KM ) With no problems, myself being one of them .. But Just paying the Labor for the time it takes to access and check them alone would not be cheap .. Really not familiar with Adjusting Valves with Shims so won't go any deeper than to add my 1951 Panhead with Solid Lifters was very simple to adjust .. 20 min job at the most .. 10 mins once were familiar with all the tricks ..

4. AAD

AAD Member

No shims, just graded buckets. Similar to some Ford engines (which have an initial check at something like 100,000 miles!).

If the buckets have wear, then I wonder how many times they had to install/check before they got it right. The cams have to come out each time-so if the buckets are .005" out of spec, did they install the same bucket part #? I would have asked for the old buckets myself.

5. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

5 different grades were installed ranging from 4.925 through 5.075 ordered and fitted on measurement not previous part number. Didn't ask to see old buckets and didn't feel I needed to question the techs methods. But that's just me. Hopefully if I have in fact paid for some of the learning then the next guy might get it done cheaper.

#25 Rodd, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Scouts Honour and Alpal like this.
  6. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Just put the Scout in for it's second valve clearance check @ 68500kms. It should really have been done at 64000 but the North Island was calling and they couldn't get it done before we left. Anyway 4k doesn't mean much now for this bike.
    Happy to report that all valve clearances are within factory spec and no new parts needed. Cheaper than expected; bonus.

muz, Scouts Honour and JayFL459 like this.