Utah Weather

Discussion in 'West / West Coast Indian Riders' started by Aargow, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Hi Guys:
    I'm just starting to plan a trip to Southern Utah for next year. Initially, I choose the month of September because the rainfall seemed about average and the temperatures are starting to cool down. One of my riding friends said not to go in September because it is the "monsoon" season.
    This monsoon season does not seem to be born out in the rainfall records. The NWS lists average historic rainfall amounts by month. In Utah, spring (March, April, and May) is the rainy season with over 2" of rain each month. Summer is dry and September averages 1.5 inches.
    I'm hoping that someone on the forum lives in Utah or has visited there enough to give me some good recommendations. Does this monsoon season exist? Does it occur each year or is it only an occasional occurrence like El Nino?
    Thanks!

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

@sidecarsam and the gentleman with the wonderful "sidecar dogs" would know".

3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

How about 16 inches a month in Burtland?,....Way down south on the West Coast of the South Island? Bring a dingy,.......:p:p
    Alpal

4. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Yes...good perspective...thank you. Ohio is not that wet but an inch and a half would be a very dry month

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Hey Aargow,
    I moved from MN to southern UT 21 years ago to get away from the snow and cold. Best move ever. This year has been a bit unusual but still very nice. We had a rainy spring , maybe 5" total, but we have not had 1 drop in the last 5 months at my house in St. George. Somewhere here they must have gotten that 1 drop because officially it's only been 128 days without rain, and they measure it in the hundreds of an inch. All this being said we are in just a mild drought, recreation reservoirs are still full .
    Your question about the monsoon season, if the rains come it is usually in the mountains to the north with afternoon showers. Late Sept early Oct is great for riding.
    I've ridden over 122,000 miles on my Chieftains and I can't recall the last time I put on my rainsuit for a local ride. The Rocky Mts. or the Sierra's is where I get wet.
    Maybe we be able to get together next year.

Baldhead_J and Aargow like this.
  6. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Hi Drifter;
    Thanks for taking the time to write. That information is very helpful. We have a fellow in our group that was out there during a particularly bad monsoon season and we are having a tough time convincing him that it was an anomaly.
    We will be out that way in mid-September of 2020. I'll be in touch closer to departure. Hopefully, we can get together.