Useful information to help Customize a Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Jonny, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Hi guys, new to the forum and was hoping to get some help here over the next couple years as I customize my 2016 Scout (ABS). Wasn't real sure how would be the best way to start this thread. Any useful tips for the forum would be appreciated. So I will get to the first subject.

Tires and wheels:
    I'm trying to figure out the max size wheel and tire I can get away with, without modifying the frame or getting a kit. I know I can get a kit for a 240 tire, but don' really need it that big. I'm planning on having a new rear fender made after I decide tire and wheel size.

Thanks,

Jonny

Da Nurse likes this.
  2. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

I don't have a Scout, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers soon. You'll like it here as it's a helpful, friendly environment. Welcome to the forum from Southern Ohio.:)

Jonny likes this.
  3. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

What is your goal? Are you trying to run a fat tire out back or just have the best handling tire in the rear? Those are two very different things.

4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Yo Jonny! Welcome aboard the best little Indian forum in the world Buddy!:cool:,....and yes!:),...you will get a ton of help from all here!,.....Step one: if you want a fast Scout I hope you bought a red one as the they are the fastest by far,......you need look no further than the original number 35 and fastest Scout in the world to know that!:D

Nickj does raise a very good point with regards to what you are aiming at so do tell as that will give the guys and girls a better target to aim that than using the shotgun approach,.....looking forward to your reply,.....but yeah,......bigger tyres? Rims etc? Boy! You certainly start with the big and hard jobs first, huh!? So yeah, like Nickj said, what's the ultimate goal?
    Alpal

5. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

Another welcome from New Zealand-:)

Jonny likes this.
  6. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Good Point know of several that went with the Fat Rear Tire and Wish they hadn't because lost out on handling in tight curves and turns ..

Jonny likes this.
  7. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Nick, I like the bobber look, go figure huh! LOL

I like the idea on a wider rear tire, possibly a 200. But at the same time, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. If I have to settle for a smaller tire to save a bunch of work and money, I will. I plan to put new wheels on the bike, most likely all black spokes, wrapped with a knobby (doesn't have to be so knobby) white wall tire. I have seen kits for a 240 tire, but I think that is too big.

For the suspension, I believe I have figured out the rear springs, but not 100% yet. I plan on K-Tech, Bullit shocks. I like that they do not have a spring, and it's sleek. I haven't really thought about the front suspension yet, I know K-tech makes cartridges you can add to the stock forks, so I may possibly go that route. I will be looking at the idea of dropping the suspension down an inch like the bobber is.

Fenders will be removed completely. Or I will have custom fenders made (very small).

Handlebars, break levers, etc. All will be painted the correct color scheme once I figure out the color scheme. Most likely will be replacing the handle bars. Also plan to have the classic spring seat.

I understand some of the things I'm doing are purely cosmetic and will affect my ride in a worse way. But I'm OK with that to a point. I took my scout, completely stock from Phoenix, AZ to Ensenada, Mexico. approximately 400 miles away. Wasn't too bad, but I kinda figured after that trip that the scout is going to be more for shorter cruises. Which I'm OK with, cause then down the road, I can get me the Indian Chieftain Dark Horse.

And I do have the Indian Red ABS! She is quick for sure, now it's time to make her sleek!

Nice to meet everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

Jonny

The picture will give you an idea of what I'm looking to do. IMG_9340.jpg IMG_9343.jpg

Baldhead_J, Alpal, MiRider and 4 others like this.
  8. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

Haha! Welp, it looks like you and I have the same aesthetic taste when it comes to the Scout. Here is what my Scout, Scarlett looked like when I was done with her.
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    This was one of the First Run Scouts (actually the first one in TX). This is the original fork setup. I also had a girder front end for the bike.

I opted for the Bullit shocks in the rear and then just poured some heavier weight fork oil up front. It worked out real nice to stiffen the dreadful forks up. Your forks are MUCH better stock than the original spec, so you might be able to swap out oil and be solid if you are just cruising around.

Those are the Indian accessory wheels in chrome and then I slapped some Firestone Champion re-pops on there because I had wanted to build a bike with those tires for a long time. These are the 500 - 16's front and rear, and would clear the stock fenders. As for the seat. I used the Mother Road Customs tractor seat with the shortest springs they would ship me. I would recommend a slightly longer spring because the seat and the rear fender come into contact on the regular.

Da Nurse, sidecarsam, Alpal and 2 others like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Burtland likes your bike Nick!,:p,..the first three likes are all from down under!:eek:;)
    Alpal

Scouts Honour and NickJ like this.
  10. MiRider

MiRider New Member

Hello Jonny I love the look of your bike !
    can you tell me where you found the seat bracket ? is that a solid unit or does it have some kind of spring to it. Will it handle 200 lbs ?

11. MiRider

MiRider New Member

White on white looks great I keep looking for a bracket like this but cannot fined one.

Attached Files:

12. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Youre wise and smart man @Jonny ,.........Why?,.........

And I do have the Indian Red ABS! She is quick for sure, now it's time to make her sleek!

( Come on you Guys!,......You knew that ws coming!!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;))
    Alpal

13. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111