USB memory stick software

Discussion in 'Indian RoadMaster' started by martin, Aug 4, 2017.

1. martin

martin Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Ive had my new Indian Roadmaster for just over 1 week, and have been so pleased with it, it came with a USB stick for downloading updates with, but it has some software on it, its called Finger print. Does anybody know what its used for?

Kind Regards
    Martin

2. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Strictly 'guessing' and/or 'assuming' here but; the manual gives you an internet site to go to and sign-in or register and explains how to download updates to the RoadCommand system to a flash drive and how to transfer it to the bike. I'm told that mostly it's for updating the Nav. but that's just what I was told. The flash drive you are referring to has a tad more than 7gb's of free space so I am assuming that's the intended use for it.

martin likes this.
  3. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Gonna guess that's an authenticator for ensuring the validity of the stick. My money is on RideCommand looking for whatever "handshake" that software provides before installing ANYTHING into your bike.
    I did a limited search on the Google machine but turned up mainly biometric security results. So, the above remains a guess.

martin likes this.
  4. martin

martin Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys,
    That sounds about right, I found it had a lot of biometric stuff that could not understand, I did actually download a map from google maps, converted the web address into a gpx converter, then into the rider converter in the website you mention, on to the memory stick, then to the sat nav, worked quite well, but gave lots of way would flags which I cannot seem to get rid of.
    May need to play with that a bit more.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  5. PeterC

PeterC Living the Life while I can

It is the fingerprint for your bike to let them know which version software you have already and whether a valid update is available. full instructions are on my.indianmotorcycle.com - its good you can do your own updates so easily

martin, turkeyfoot and sidecarsam like this.
  6. martin

martin Well-Known Member

Ah that figures, thank you peter, I shall have a look.

7. CuChulain

CuChulain Well-Known Member

I didn't get the usb stick with mine. I've been able to update my Road Command using a stick I already had with no issues. So the included app doesn't appear to be absolutely necessary.

After doing a search on fingerprint + usb sticks, turns out they now have usb sticks with a finger print reader built in. I would buy one to keep my financial files secure, but my financial files says that I can't afford the $80 for one.

sidecarsam likes this.
  8. turkeyfoot

turkeyfoot Well-Known Member

Correct me if Im wrong, PeterC, didnt you reformat your stick to finally download ride command? Or was it maps?
    Anyway I looked at the folder "fingerprint". Its a Polaris product or it is used by Polaris to do specific functions.
    Youre probably aware but Ill mention it anyway.
    It has checksum file in it which is used to verify bits in a file against an original file size to insure no corruption or incomplete files.
    It also has files labeled maps (basemap,NA,Canada,Mexico) and poi's and such.
    This tells me its implemented for map toolbox and maps usage not software. Here are a couple screen shots.
    upload_2017-8-7_15-51-52.png
    upload_2017-8-7_15-53-42.png
    Love that. Furious Indian.
    The file size of fingerprint is 3.22Gb indicating to me IT IS the mapping unrelated to software updates as 2 people upthread have found using clean usb sticks to upload RC to their bikes does work.
    My bet is Map Toolbox creates the folder after the key created at the bike is seen by the app then allows downloading of maps.
    When I used Garmin there was always a key to unlock their pricey maps.
    Pretty clearly, youre going to need that folder and everything in it to upgrade maps.

Attached Files:

#8 turkeyfoot, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    martin likes this.
  9. PeterC

PeterC Living the Life while I can

You are correct I always format the usb for ride command as I had to to load the maps as well. Haven't had any issue doing it this way. You are also correct about the fingerprint being for the maps now I have looked, perhaps it is also to do with the limited free updates you get with the card? The bike creates the fingerprint folder when you go through the display, must add the maps when downloaded via the map toolbox

martin likes this.