Tying down for a ferry crossing

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Guides and How-To's' started by BenDRhodes, Nov 14, 2017.

1. BenDRhodes

BenDRhodes Active Member

We plan to travel to the South Island in early February 2018 to get to the Burt Munro. This entails a ferry voyage with a Chief Vintage and a Scout. We will need to tie our rides down for the voyage and I am wondering how others do this. I plan on us taking our own tie downs with us so we aren't reliant on possibly dodgy equipment on board. We did this last time we went over but that was with a Honda VT 750.

With the Chief in particular, I am wondering if it is best to take the screen off and run the tie downs to the handlebars or put a strap round the forks?

2. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

Kuryakan- (however it's spelled) sells tie down rings that mount to the forks. Very nice looking set up...................I have heard it works great, that would take care of the front. Just a thought.

3. xrays

xrays Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I have used the front and rear highway bars (if you have them) for tie down points on my Chief for trailer-ing or shipping. This is my bike on a flatbed tow truck to the dealer. (wouldn't start - turns out it was a broken spark-plug wire connector. bull-tied-down.JPG

4. Redskin

Redskin New Member

5. Redskin

Redskin New Member

Check out srk tie down road bike on you tube, it’s a great way to secure a bike for transport.. you don’t collapse the suspension

IROQUOIS likes this.