TS111 Push Rod Engine

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by sidecarsam, Aug 29, 2017.

1. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I have heard from several people talking about the TS111 that it isn't a true Push Rod Engine, but rather was a Dual Overhead Cam Engine and that the Push Rod Tubes were "Just for Show" like the Head Covers.

I was pretty sure when I bought the bike that it was a Push Rod Engine AND that the Push Rod Tubes really did enclose actual Push Rods. However, I had never seen a Diagram or a Cutaway of the Engine, so I didn't know for sure. I had the Stage 2 Cams installed and although I didn't ask the mechanic about the Push Rods, the location of the Cams told me that in No Way was this an Overhead Cam Engine. So in my mind the Push Rod Tubes Did truly enclose working Push Rods.

Later on, at a Bike gathering at an Indian Dealership, I was again told that the Push Rod Tubes were Just for Show. And this time an Indian Salesman even chimed in, agreeing with the other party that the TS111 was Indeed an Overhead Cam Engine. This seemed all wrong to me, but I didn't want to argue or make a scene, so I let it slide.

Well, I have done a little research, silly as it may seem to those of you in the know, and found a couple photos of a Cutaway TS111. The photo shows that the TS111 is Indeed a Push Rod Engine and the Push Rod Tubes do house actual working push rods. My mind is now at ease and I can comfortably tell people that it Is in Fact a Push Rod Engine. :)
    TS111CutAway.jpg

Cindy Hu, Ghost, Rocko and 5 others like this.
  2. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Sam, What ever you do, don't let that dealership touch you bike.:fearscream:

3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

The pushrod tubes are made to resemble a side valve. But yes it has push rods. Find a new dealership. One that actually cares about the product they represent

Gina, doublej and sidecarsam like this.
  4. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Ummm, the pushrod tubes are made to enclose the pushrods and keep oil from going all over the place.

The rocker box covers and header covers are there to resemble a flathead side valve engine.

sidecarsam likes this.
  5. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, I have never used that Dealership for anything - just visited them as I was passing through. :D

Cindy Hu and Ghost like this.
  6. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I'm glad you still visit this site. :)

Cindy Hu likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Change your visiting patterns. :)

sidecarsam likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Why do you think Sturgis charges more than some places for installing cams? Reason being, they had a mishap with the cam tool which holds the pushrods in place allowing the cams to be removed and new one's put in. The engine had to be pulled like in the beginning of the TS111 world causing them a lot of extra time. They have never got over it and charge accordingly. I've had numerous talks with them to no avail.

sidecarsam likes this.
  9. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

It rally makes me sad that there are dealers out there that no nothing about the products they sell. It turns off people that might want to buy the bike.At least buy from them. Polaris should get some feed back to let them know they need to educate their dealers.

Gina, sidecarsam and Sturgis 75th like this.
  10. roadmasterjeff

roadmasterjeff New Member

I am experiencing a knock when I first start our 111 engine. Compression release is what I have was told... Its very annoying mine started doing it at approx 2000 mi. It goes away usually around 1/2 minute to 45 seconds.. Any word on this issue ?

sidecarsam likes this.