Tonight the night, 12 midnight!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by will, Sep 30, 2021.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

So, a few questions:

1. Is $63/hour the starting wage?

2. If you don't get it, what do you plan to do? Is there someplace else that you know of that's paying that kind of dough?

3. I was a public school teacher for 38 years (now retired from that) and at the very last of my career I made a little more than half of what you are proposing. So, do you really think that $125K plus is "not a lot of money"? (Me, I think it's a shitload of money for a non-management position, but I hope that you get it.)

BD

will likes this.
  2. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

What he presented includes benefit cost per employee.

3. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

4. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

I was trying to make a point but apparently I went about it incorrectly.
    I was trying to say that companies don’t want to pay health insurance while you work for them, they don’t want any kind of company pension plan, they don’t want a company paid medical plan once you’ve retired ( no matter what kind of damage you incurred while working for them), they don’t want to pay a decent wage (so you can do all this for yourself).
    What they want is for you to not bitch, take what they are willing to let you have, that the company, your company has “stockholders” to think of! So shut up and get back to work or if you don’t like it, or you can quit.
    They use to have (up until the early 20something contract) stock options . That is till a guy with over 50 years in and 81 years of age was within the top 10 stock holder in the company (I have no idea how that happened) but it did. Still worked out on the assembly floor as a wage employee. After he retired they removed the stock option entirely. See, didn’t want to share with the employees.
    Stock price in the 2000’s = $25 or so per share.
    Stock price in the 2010’s= $75 or so per share.
    Stock price in 2020= $260 per share
    High for the year 2021= $390 per share
    As of today, oct 12, 2021= $330 per share

Of course they don’t want to share, those with all the toys make the rules or some shit like that.

Deere - 49 Year Stock Price History | DE

IROQUOIS likes this.
  5. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Earnings is the Mother's Milk of the Stock Market. That includes Deere.
    Profit sharing is a great way to involve employees to help share in the "bounty" of profits.
    I participated in that as a 21 yr (unknowingly at the time) old .
    For every dollar I put in they matched it w/93¢. Almost dollar for dollar.
    The only way you can participate is through a index fund that has Deere in the index via 401K plan.
    That's the next goal of our contract negotiations.... matching a percentage of a 401K contribution. They already put $342 a week towards our pension....asking for more now.

6. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

They have a profit sharing plan, with a very complex calculation that till yet no one has figured out how it works or where the numbers come from. It has a few numbers that we know; your base pay and hours worked during a set timeframe ( usually November 1st till October 15th) you must be at work or vacation the last two weeks for you to get any of it ). Amazingly, our contract ended on the 30th of September, if we strike during these two weeks, we will not get anything. If you work the base of 2080 hours at my rate of pay you’ll get around $3500, after all the tax and other crap that is pulled out I think my wife said there was a deposit of just over $2200.
    Friend of mine that works at a the engine facility works just a bit over 5000 hours a year, makes the exact same wage and brings in $8000, not sure what his take home is. He’s basically working 16 days, and at least 6 days a week damn near every week and most holidays. At that plant you have too because they stay undermanned. I don’t have that option for the overtime, I’m lucky to get between a average 2 to 4 hours a week.
    So overtime and profit sharing go hand in hand if you can get it. For some reason they limit us to around a max of 16 hours a month, plus a spread of no more 16 hours a week between high man and low man. All other facilities have a basic unlimited amount of overtime.
    I’m not saying the profit sharing isn’t “good”, it’s not great. But one must make a choice if possible. Is $8000/5000hrs=$1.60 per hour, no family time, bad health (which he now has), burnt out, worth it? Or is $3500/2080hrs=$1.68 per hour better for you and your family?
    I’ve put in about 120 hours this year in overtime, it cost me nothing except the time, I’m already at work and stay over for 4 hours once, sometimes twice a week. I work 2nd shift, so the wife is asleep, when I wake up a few hours latterly than normal she is just finishing her last yoga class down in the parlor. Family time has been preserved. And that’s what is important to me.
    And no, I have no idea why you will make less per hour the more hours you work. Seems counterproductive to me.

7. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Deere is not helping there self with that kind of policy.
    Our situation is pretty much the opposite. To utilize the equipment to it's fullest it has to move pretty much 24/7.
    What stops us from working more.... regulations...Feds.... which I'm all for. We're under the 7/60 rule. Can't exceed 60 hours in a rolling 7 day period.
    I worked 34 hours last week on my new job bid. I'm good.
    No forced overtime....all voluntary.

will likes this.
  8. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

We are formally on strike as of midnight tonight. Didn’t find out till just a few moments ago.
    Looking forward to the possible brighter future for the wife and I. If not, well, we get to start over again

Baldhead_J and IROQUOIS like this.
  9. Yirkash

Yirkash Member

Hope for the best!!

Gina, IROQUOIS and will like this.
  10. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Hang in their. I hope this wakes the company up.

Gina and will like this.
  11. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Excuse my ignorance on this contract. I didn't realize it encompassed all Deere plants in the States. I thought this was local negotiation's at that plant only. Man you guys got this since it is across the board.

will likes this.
  12. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Nothing on the news....WTF?

will likes this.
  13. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Must be a local (Huntsville) decision on that news.
    I seen it first thing this morning on St Louis news.
    On Drudge Report also.
    It will catch on.

Gina and Baldhead_J like this.
  14. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

I hope. It’s purpose is not to hurt deer, just to open their eyes and be fair.

15. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

I saw nothing on the news, Fakebook, etc. till I woke up this morning late. Then, only on the local 838 fakebook page and a couple of online newsprint.

16. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

You never want to kill the Golden Goose. When things get out of hand it's the purpose of a strike to open eyes and bring things into prospective.

will likes this.
  17. BigDawg

Believe it or not, I understood that. But even with my health insurance and retirement, I never, in 38 years, made close to a buck & a quarter a year.

Not sure what Will does at the plant. But it still costs Deere $63/hour, and my question remains, is for the guy just starting out with a HS diploma?

Where else do you think that you're going to get to get that kind of money in a factory (and I am NOT dissing factory work ! ! !)?

I just want to know where you guys are working where your benefits equal 150% of your wage?

BD

BD

Baldhead_J likes this.
  18. BigDawg

@will, look I hope you get what you want. Hell, I hope you get more. I've never been one of those to begrudge, or be jealous of, anyone who had more/made more that I did.

I never made anything like what you're talking about in 38 years of teaching, even with an advanced degree. But, man, go for it ! ! !

I just think that the a significant part of the problem may be the bureaucracy that you thought represented you but is actually in it more for itself . . .

BD

will, Baldhead_J and IROQUOIS like this.
  19. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

I never made anything like what you're talking about in 38 years of teaching, even with an advanced degree. But, man, go for it ! ! !

I just think that the a significant part of the problem may be the bureaucracy that you thought represented you but is actually in it more for itself . . .

BD[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for where I work as a Teamster truck driver.
    Out of high school age 18, you can get a CDL and operate only within the borders of the State you are licensed.
    At 21 you can get your CDL to operate anywhere in North America.
    If a 21 year old came to where I work you could pull down 60-65 grand first year. By the fifth year you're into a 6 figure income. As you gain seniority you can make $150,000 to $160,000.
    Add benefits from there.

#59 IROQUOIS, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  20. Bubba58

Bubba58 Bronze Member

I can only speak for where I work as a Teamster truck driver.
    Out of high school age 18, you can get a CDL and operate only within the borders of the State you are licensed.
    At 21 you can get your CDL to operate anywhere in North America.
    If a 21 year old came to where I work you could pull down 60-65 grand first year. By the fifth year you're into a 6 figure income. As you gain seniority you can make $150,000 to $160,000.
    Add benefits from there.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I’m in the wrong profession. I’m 60 YO and I only make $78K a year with no overtime option.

Bubba

BigDawg likes this.