Tires - Riding on the Darkside

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by sidecarsam, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Would I use a Car Tire on the Rear of my Motorcycle?

1. Never, No Way, No How

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Maybe, Need More Info

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Yes, Have Thought About It, But Haven't Done It

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Have Used Them, Never Will Again

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Yes, Of Course, All the Time

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

So anyone on here use Automotive Tires on their Bikes? It seems there is quite an underground use of Car Tires on Motorcycles - mostly by Older Riders. Also seems Honda Valkyrie and Goldwing riders use them as well as HD Touring Riders.

I am seriously considering using the Austone Taxi Tire. It is a 175R16 - 5.5 inch Rim Width.

Thoughts? Knowledgeable thoughts preferred - I can already hear the Nay-Sayers screaming - get enough of that for mixing Tire Brands Front and Rear. :p

foottdude and Cindy Hu like this.
  2. downswalker

downswalker Well-Known Member

I've nothing against trying this, but I'm pretty sure it'd void my insurance.

3. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I've heard that from other Riders, but Never from an Insurance Company.

Roll On and Cindy Hu like this.
  4. downswalker

downswalker Well-Known Member

British insurers seem these days to be able to use any excuse to avoid paying out. I have to notify mine about any and all modifications to stock. This includes accessories, modifications of any kind (whether they enhance performance or not), right down to changes in artwork. This is fairly typical over here. I'm sure if I were to raise the issue of using a car tyre, there would be a long silence followed by a polite but firm "try that, Sir, and you're on your own".

If I have any time, it might be an interesting phonecall to make...

sidecarsam likes this.
  5. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Interesting.

Cindy Hu likes this.
  6. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I've ridden an ElectraGlide with car tires front and rear on gravel roads. It seemed to handle better than the one I owned with stock tires.

I do a lot of riding in the twisties, so I'm not inclined to put any car tires on any of my bikes.

My darkside friends swear that car tires handle as well as bike tires in the twisties. They are wrong. If that were the case, sport bikes would come with car tires from the factory.

If I were to take up Iron Butt riding, I'd have a car tire on the rear. If I had a sidecar I'd consider a car tire or two. But I wouldn't want it on a bike that does peg scraping runs through Appalachia.

theMucker, doublej, Papa Lar and 5 others like this.
  7. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Thought about it but doubt will do it now , Don't put in near the miles used to , should have tried it back when doing 30K MIles + a Year ..

doublej and sidecarsam like this.
  8. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Same here. You'd think in retirement I'd ride more but I'm more busy now than when working for a paycheck. Just have a few of these dark hours to touch base now and then.

PileOParts and sidecarsam like this.
  9. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

I have never really thought about it. But for me to do so would take one of the few gear heads I trust putting some stats out to me, oh and some kind of test ride through one of my loops before hand. Now if they made a race tire for motorcycle (street) I probably would do it in a heart beat. My car has race tire and there is a big difference in the handling of the car at fast speeds. ( I have tested to 130)

Papa Lar, Cindy Hu and sidecarsam like this.
  10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I've got brothers that do it all the time. They are cheaper and last longer. The only downside they talk about is in turning performance. That said, it can't be worse than turning on a 240-280 rear tire on a Breakout or custom.
    Go for it.

sidecarsam likes this.
  11. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Put one on a Roadliner before I got the RM. Handling is all about the right tire and running the right pressure. These tires aren't for peg dragging twisties, even though I could keep up with any cruiser the same size as mine on any road. The edges on car tires are more rounded which helps on the cornering. Many think that because they are flat that you ride up on the edges. This is where the right size and right shape tire along with finding the best pressure makes it work. Bikes don't wieght 1500 ibs like a car, so you don't run 32 or 35 psi in the tire. I found 24 psi just right for my Roadliner.Check the darkside web page. They list the bikes with the best tire and a suggested air pressure to start out. These aren't for everybody. There are many naysayers who would never do it. That's fine. Nobody says they have to . those that have tried it, like it. I'll put one on my RM when the time comes. I like paying a $140 for a tire that will last 30 to 40,00 miles or more. It just works for me.

sidecarsam likes this.
  12. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Do you know anything about the Austone Taxi Tire?

Cindy Hu likes this.
  13. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Never heard of tast one. I used a Goodyear Triple Tread on the Roadliner. Or maybe it was a Goodrich. Anyway, I look for a tire that the edges are rounded with the tread pattern the same on both sides of the center of the tire. In other words, some tires have a different tread design on the outside of the tire as it sits on the car. For cornering and such. This isn't needed on a bike. The dynamics are different when you corner on a bike. The tire leans in the turn, where it rolls under when you turn in a car. A friend of mine followed me on his bike on a ride and said it appeared that the tire stayed in contact with the road all the way across the tread instead of rolling up on the edge. This is where i feel like the air pressure is important. It allows the sidewall of the tire to squeeze down instead of rolling under, as in a car. There are youtube videos where a rider has mounted a GoPro camera on the underside of a bike with a car tire to see the way in moves in a turn. This really helps you see how the tire reacts in turns.

Papa Lar and sidecarsam like this.
  14. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, I've seen that video.

Cindy Hu likes this.
  15. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I notice that darside site doesn't list Indian but I'm sure cross referencing can be done. One thing I've wondered about though is how a CT works in rain. Anyone know?

sidecarsam likes this.
  16. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I believe because the is a larger contact patch and the tread is much deeper( depending on the tire you choose) it works well. I felt it made for more grip.

Crazy1961 likes this.
  17. ShepsIndian

ShepsIndian Well-Known Member

I ran an ultimata on my previous 2009 voyager. Had 20000 miles on it and it looked great. I had 5 different cycle tires on previous to it. Yes, they are great in the rain and as far as twisties, i did a lot with it. The only thing I ever noticed were grooved roads would push you around a little. The other issue with car tires, is, you need to have air pressure where it suits the tire best. I ran 40 PSI. Some run 32 and that was terrible on my bike. Felt like a flat tire to me. I don't foresee ever running a CT on the Roadmaster . The elites hold up well and the ride is awesome.

Crazy1961 likes this.
  18. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Everything I've read says Better Traction in the Rain.

Crazy1961 and Cindy Hu like this.
  19. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Well I did it. :) I am now officially on the Darkside. :cool:
    20170823_115100.jpg
    Granted, I only have 100 miles on this tire so far, but I Love It! It rides really nicely and I can still fly the chair just as easily as before. I'll let you know what I think after I put some more miles on it.

JayFL459, OL'55, Cindy Hu and 2 others like this.
  20. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I believe you'll do good with the side hack and this tire.

sidecarsam likes this.