The "Sixty" far exceeded my expectations!

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Sixty' started by Notaharley, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

20200305_153402.jpg

Been flirting with getting a Scout for a while. Tried out Triumph and the Speedmaster-- loved it. Not quite as nice a build as Indian, though.

My wife learned to ride and started drooling all over Scouts.

Yesterday, I bought a 2017 60. Never rode one. We were a good hour from home and I got to ride highway, backroads, and windy roads through the mountains...and a little city stop and go.

I rode my Chieftain to the dealer so I could leave it for the recall fix and a new front fender, so I had a quality ride fresh in my memory.

My Chieftain has cams, PV3, no cats, etc.
    It is a dog compared to the 60! Any speed. Roll-ons at 60 and 70 mph would have left the Chieftain in the dust. Wow. First and second gear are AWESOME! I took her up to just shy of a ton.

After all the MANY complaints I have read about the crappy seat and poor suspension, and the monkey/football thing, I was prepared for the worst.

I found the seat comfortable during the 1.5 hours I sat on it. I purposefully hit the worst bumps, tar snakes and road imperfections, constantly, so I could advise my wife on it.
    Yes, the suspension is firmer than the Chieftain, but the ride was excellent and I never had a bone-jarrimg encounter. The bike was rock solid through everything I threw at it.

This 60 has Crusher pipes, Pirelli Night Dragons....and I don't know if it has a new intake or not. The tires are brand new and I spun them several times while nailing 1st gear.

Seriously -- I was looking at the "full sized" Scout and the FTR, thinking the 60 was a "beginner bike" as so many have said --- but not any more! I am impressed!

I wish it was a bit taller. I was comfortable -- I am 5' 10" and 160 lbs (down from about 200!) and it fit me like a glove. I just didn't like being so low to the ground, but no big deal. I like the hooligan kits available.

I have over 30 years riding experience on everything from rice rockets to Ducs, Harley, Victory & Yamaha.

Anyone wanting an exciting bike to ride that costs HALF of some others that is cheap to upgrade, should try a 60.

My hat's off to Indian on this one.
    20200305_160926.jpg

Alpal, JonScout, Baldhead_J and 6 others like this.
  2. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bike and the weight loss!
    I've ridden scouts a number of times while leading demo rides for my dealership. I agree they are very nice bikes.

Notaharley and muz like this.
  3. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Great review. I've never seen a Scout or 60 rider without a smile their face. The secret is out now.:D:cool:

Notaharley, Aargow and muz like this.
  4. muz

muz Well-Known Member

SSHhhhhhhh, don't let out the Secret. Got my 60 in May 2016. Australasia only did that year for the 60 model, standard Scout all years. Love my 60, ride it hard through the twisties and always keen to crank on the throttle. Done plenty of upgrades, still working on them. Planning on keeping mine for a long time yet and selling off my Springfield possibly this year after a 4 to 5,000km trip down in the South Island. I think the new Bobber 60 will be a huge hit all over the globe and hope New Zealand is going to stock them as long as they are in production. Waiting on a true mid weight so I don't have to go back to HD, haha. Glad you liked the 60, people that haven't tried them, just don't know how good they are.

Notaharley, Gator Mcklusky and Aargow like this.
  5. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

I'm waiting for the Dyna Chief as well.

muz and Aargow like this.
  6. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Just read Australasia is not getting them. That's Australia and New Zealand. Apparently the fact is that the Scout 60 did not sell well in these 2 countries as nearly everyone bought the 69. I bought my 60 when they reduced the price down another 2k from already being 2k less than the 69. I couldn't resist a 4k saving from the 69 and actually liked the blacked out look anyway. The Bobber 60 is available as a special order from dealers though. Yeah, can't wait for the Dyna Chief, good description. The Indian motorcycles Chief platform is lacking in models with only the Dark Horse and the Vintage. I can see an opening there for at least 2 more bikes, maybe a stripped down Softail killer and a full kitted bagger version to take on the Streetglide and Sportglide.

7. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Isn't the Streetglide version the ChiefGlide? The Sportglide would just be a full sized Scout with hard luggage and the batwing, right? I think those things exist.

8. muz

muz Well-Known Member

True, but be nice to shred a bit of weight off of one model of Indians big bike baggers. Maybe a stripped down Challenger. No fairing and quick removable hard bags would be awesome

9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I bet THAT is coming.

Bobby Jesus and muz like this.
  10. Notaharley

It's really a much better bike than most admit. I like the simple nature of it. No tv screen up front. No ride modes. An engine and a seat and 2 wheels. Simple belt drive. Everything is right there, easily accessible and upgrades are super cheap compared to the Chieftain.

I would definitely prefer my big Chieftain on long journeys.....but is the occasional added comfort worth all the money??

My Chieftain has 16,000 miles and the fuel guage is now completely inoperable. The Scout doesn't have one to break!

muz likes this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Mission Control!,,,.....we have another believer!!!!,:cool::p:rolleyes:,.....and he's not monkeying around!!;)
    Alpal,.......

muz and Notaharley like this.
  12. Graham UK

Graham UK Well-Known Member

The Scout 60 is an awesome ride. Although I did mods to mine, when I was lent an un-modded one while mine was being worked on, it was so good I wondered why I bothered spending so much modding my own.

Notaharley likes this.
  13. Notaharley

Hahaha!

14. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

"Then I went the pace!!!!,......Now I'm a believer!!!!,,......Not a trace of doubt in my mind!!!!!!:rolleyes:;)

Aargow and ebigfish like this.
  15. ebigfish

ebigfish Active Member

could you leave her..... If you tried?

Notaharley and Aargow like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

No!,.....Cos I'm a Believer!,.....No Doubt in my mind,.....Yeah, Yeah .Yeah,......etc,.....:p

Notaharley, ebigfish and Aargow like this.
  17. Notaharley

Love the Monkeys!

Soooo....

I'm looking for a bike for me.

My neighbor has offered me his 2015 69 with 5000 miles for $6000.
    I found a 2016 Scout 60 with 17k miles for $5000

Which is better?

18. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is that the 20k service includes checking and setting valve lash clearance, this can be expensive as they are not hydraulic, so you should get a price estimate from your dealer and then add that to the purchase price. Only 3k miles away on the 60 but 15k away on the 69.

19. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Yes. I mean, me too

Rodd and Baldhead_J like this.
  20. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Do you know something @Bobby Jesus that we all don't. Spill, haha

Bobby Jesus and Rodd like this.