the open prairie is my home..

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Photos & Videos' started by Cornbiker, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Cornbiker

Cornbiker Active Member

There is much to be said of riding out on the open prairie.. Not much traffic.. miles and miles of open road.. A traffic jam consists of a heard of cattle being driven down the road to the next pasture.. or a farm implement jumping from field to field.. But not much has changed..
    IMG_5085.JPG

Looking out over the grassland it isn't hard to imagine what it was like 150 yrs ago... The plains Indians on their ponies.. The cowboys on their horses herding cattle.. Herds of Bison that stretch over the horizon.. I can see it all in my mind as I roll along.. IMG_5565.JPG

Not a lot changes out here even in the past 30 yrs.... Some of the old buildings have fallen down or become vacant and run down.. Town have gotten smaller and smaller.. Gas stations fewer and farther apart.. But the people are still good.... they wave as they go by and you don't even have to know them.. They stop to see if you need help.. hell, they even stop for ugly motorcycle riders.. maybe not all of them but someone will sooner or later.. Heck.. you can't hardly stop to light a smoke without someone stopping and asking if your ok..

IMG_5098.JPG

I've seen cowboys stop and help load motorcycles into stock trailers, cow shit included free of charge.. There was a time in my life out here Cowboys and long hairs didn't get along.. I know.. I lived that fight time and time again.. Oh I'm sure there are still some who hold a grudge over a biker taking their girl friend for her first ride.. Or the mouthy cow poke that opened his mouth at the wrong time and learned his mouth was bigger then he was.. but I seen that in the city all the time..
    IMG_5102.JPG
    Not much changes our here on the prairie.. And it's kind of nice.. But damn if the winters are mean..

(as you can tell.. I'm at work, wishing I was on the open road..)

Attached Files:

2. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    That's why I like it where I live now. I tell everyone I'm 1 mile east of hell. The west plains can get nasty and sometimes riding around out that way I start wondering just what will happen if I run low on fuel or hit a fresh cow patty on a blind corner. No second chances out here. But I love it. Another few mile east and south is traffic worse than LA in Cali.

Aargow, dthorny, Roll On and 2 others like this.
  3. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

Thanks for sharing that!

dthorny and Roll On like this.
  4. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Great photos and really good prose. You oughta write a book about #lifeontwowheels out there. I know little about that part of the country and David Man always made it look romantic.

Aargow and Roll On like this.
  5. Roll On

Roll On Bronze Member
    Original 111

Wow, beautiful.

I thought most folks wear a bandanna across their face so they're not breathing in the dust ?

Aargow likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Nice Prairie pic's. Even have a Little House on the Prairie. :D

Gina and Aargow like this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Cornbiker, I am reporting you,......why?,.......for writing one of the most stirring heart felt posts I have read in a long time. I could feel the emotion, almost experience the loss that I think you feel in the things that we are losing as the modern times infiltrate our lives and memories. Oh yes, I am reporting you Buddy, for a damn fine piece of writing,........

Thank you,.......

Alpal

muz, sidecarsam, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cornbiker

Cornbiker Active Member

Glad you enjoyed my tale about living on the prairie.. I could of elaborated a lot more but wanted to keep it short..

@Baldhead_J I recently though of writing a book.. Last weekend I rode 900+ miles to burying a life long biker Brother.. (which I had the honor or taking him on his last ride..) After the services we had a gathering and as I sat with some old friends we told stories of what seemed like another life.. As I talked and listened, I thought how these memories will be forever lost when the story tellers and those who heard or lived the stories pass.. {Shit I had forgotten about hitting Hulk Hogan in the face with my wiener.. (hot dog).}. shame we mostly gather for funerals.. !

On the ride home the mind wonders as the miles roll by.. and I though I need to write a book.. for my daughter.. My father passed away and I wish he had written a book for me to share with my daughter who never got to know him.. Like the story of dad in Marine Crop survival training where they killed a porcupine and ate it for thanksgiving.. and the dad buying me my first mini bike.. and my mother wanted to kill him for it..

Sure my daughter knows her dad loves her, motorcycles and hunting.( I think she has figured out I like wild women also? ) . She knows I love music, all types but mostly old 70's music and that "damn rock-a -billy" music.. She know I've lived all over the US and served in the Corps, but I shelter her from the wild stories as I'm sure most parents do when their children are young.. But she really doesn't know me like my old friends do...

So after the ride home I started scribbling down different adventures of my life.. And I suggest everyone who wants to pass on stories of their life do the same.. It may not mean much to others but family will enjoy it.. We've all had adventures and learned lessons from those adventures.. We've all had good times and bad. But think how cool it would be for our children's children to read about staying up all night to get a motorcycle running while at Sturgis only to find one damn wire was loose.. Sleeping along side the road while living off a motorcycle for weeks on end.. Or the fist basket case flathead you bought without knowing what half the parts were for.. and finding a knucklehead part or two in the box.. (after looking through many old parts manuals)

Once we are gone the story of our life is gone if we don't share it before we leave...

4thunder, muz, Aargow and 6 others like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

My wife and I parted when my boys were young, one 11, the other nine. I have changed course many times in my life but THAT was a mistake. I know that now. We are all in touch, my ex wife, my two boys, but, like you say, do they really know me? I do not believe they do and now my eldest has a son I have yet to meet and my youngest has one daughter I have met and a one I have not. I had planned a trip this October gone to visit them all in Melbourne, Australia but health concerns kept me home. Opportunity lost. And for many months I have thought that maybe, just maybe I may not get the chance to see them all and felt a great loss at that. So, the thought of a journal of memories would perhaps give them some sort of insight into who this man was, this father who left, this Grandfather who sent cards and presents but whom they maybe never met. Time, and life, and distance all played their hand and it remained a nagging thought, the stone in the boot, painful, but not painful enough to make you stop and get it out. And then, an old guy on an Indian rides out on the praises of Nebraska and offers up his soul to heart felt thoughts and makes me think,....today,......today I start,.....his story has become the ink in my pen,......I will write my story,......in the hope that ,.....they, my sons and grandchildren and indeed those who come after them will perhaps catch a glimpse of just who this ancestor was,........and come to think,....he wasn't so bad,......just the one mistake,........
    Thank you Cornbiker.

muz, Aargow, Largeandy and 4 others like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Wish I had more from my Dad and what bummed me out was to find out he tossed tons of family pictures in the trash that had names and dates on them because they were dead. WTH :mad:

11. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

God Bless you and your brothers, Marine.

Cornbiker likes this.
  12. Cornbiker

Cornbiker Active Member

I am just a cowboy, lonesome on the trail.. the Starry night, the camp fire light, the coyote calls, the howling wind wails.. So I'll ride out to the bold sundown..

Alpal likes this.
  13. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Thanks for posting

14. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

I like this a lot, great pictures and story. Almost made me think of Kansas but I see you had a few trees in the pictures and a hill.

I say if you do not write down your stories video record them, easier and faster and then you or someone else has the story to write later.

15. dthorny

dthorny New Member

Nothing is worse than LA traffic.

Ghost likes this.
  16. HINK

HINK Well-Known Member

Beautifully written. You could give big daddy a run for the money!

Graham UK likes this.
  17. 67dkhorse

67dkhorse Member

18. Largeandy

Largeandy Well-Known Member

Nice piece of heartfelt honesty yourself Alpal. Well stated and hey my friend, its never too late to tell someone you love them or care about them. We have ALL done a few things we wished we could have done differently or perhaps not at all but most of us fellow riders are doing what we truly want to do or we would not be riders in the first place.

Write your journal friend....send your stories and your heart felt thoughts to those grandchildren. By the way, your country New Zealand is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, I was at Kauri Cliffs in the Bay of Islands in the North Island and Queenstown in the south last week...I was truly made to feel welcome there. In Sydney, Australia now....poor Sydney suffering from horrid fires and smoke NW of the city....Cornbiker.....I agree with Alpal...your piece shows an awesome side of why I like bikers in general and I know some damn nice folks from Nebraska too. Thank you both for your open heartfelt honesty and stories.

muz, Aargow and Alpal like this.
  19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thanks Largeandy,......Right out of the blue this afternoon facetime kicked into life,.....it was my eldest son along with his son Caspar and six month old Zara,......we spent 45 minutes of pure delight talking and joking via the link,.....fantastic!
    Alpal

muz, IROQUOIS and Largeandy like this.
  20. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

There are gems on this forum that go unnoticed to newcomers like me until someone adds a reply and brings it back to life. I'm sure glad that this one popped up in the "New Posts" yesterday.
    Thanks, Cornbiker for reminding me of that feeling I get every time I cross the Missouri River heading west in South Dakota.
    Alpal, So glad to hear that you're reconnecting with those missing pieces of your life. I hope you have an opportunity to cross that ditch and put your arms around them.

4thunder and Alpal like this.