The Future is electric

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Franklin-Motorcycles, Sep 24, 2017.

?

When will we see a range of electric indian motorcycles ?

1. Within 3 years

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Within 5

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Never

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Franklin-Motorcycles

Speaking as a dealer we feel its the future if the automotive market is anything to go by. Not a great lover of the idea but with cities in europe now adding charges and fines for bringing in vehicles into city limits that run on diesel and soon petrol and tax breaks for buying electric run cars .. we all know where its heading ..

Its only a matter of time before we see a range of road going indians ... HD seem to be well on its way as well

Your thoughts

Alpal likes this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Someone in the States has designed and made an electric bike that looks for all the world like an early Indian Twin, like the old G 20's or NE20's. It was in the alternative universe. The batteries were made to look like the "V" of the engine. It was an awesome machine. Steph has said she would like an electric bike and when I showed it to her, she was sold. But that stands to reason as it was dear as poison!o_O:( Damn it! :confused: I haven't bought my replacement Scout yet! Sadly the times are changing so get as many rides in as you can folks because I feel we are witness to the end of a wonderful way of life.
    Alpal

3. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

Polaris already owns the engineering know how when they bought Brammo Inc. a couple years ago. However, when they moved their existing electric motorcycle inventory to Indian/Victory dealers they just set on the showroom floor. The prices were too high for a bike that had too short of a range. The bikes looked "OK", but certainly were missing the characteristics in design, size, sound, smell (gas & oil...;)) and "presence" normally associated with motorcycles as we've known them. Change is tough unless you have a potential customer base that likes radicle change in their motorcycle. I don't think we are there yet...not sure if or when we will be within the current definition of a motorcyclist. Within an urban environment, I can see electric motorcycles catching on IF they are priced right, can be insured at a fair rate and we see an acceptable range from the battery pack. To me, that narrows the usefulness of the electric motorcycle quite a bit, but it just may be enough to become a solid "player" in some urban settings. I'll leave it at that for now........

car54 likes this.
  4. bigsam

bigsam Member

If they produce an electric bike,cool. Just give it a new brand name. Not Indian.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  5. DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I believe we will see them within 5 years but you will NEVER see my old butt on one. Recently I drove my son's Hyundai Ionic hybrid. It is a good looking little car...and is getting 58 MPG. Runs nice...rides nice...and is....uhhhh...BORING!!!

I need the rumble and yes...even the heat. I can't bring myself to be required to stand in line to plug in a scoot after a hundred miles or so. A fuel break can take as long as I desired but it will be a while for the charging infrastructure to be there and until it does...lines.

No thank you.
    Semper Fi,
    Z

4thunder, JayFL459 and Warlock like this.
  6. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I think Indian, and most motorcycle manufactures may build one or two - definitely Not a "whole range" They are appropriate for City driving and commuting and that is about it. I really don't think the Electrical Vehicle is going to replace everything like so many people do. They are not any Greener than the vehicles we have now, and sometimes worse on the environment. You have to look at the WHOLE package - not just the vehicle. Where do the batteries come from, where do the dead batteries go, how is the electricity produced? Just a couple questions that have not very green answers. And it is just not cost effective to put up a bunch of charging stations across the countries.

So the way I see it, our Fossil Fuel vehicles will not be replaced for a very long time - especially in places like the Western half of the USA, most of Australia (except the East coast maybe), all the interiors of Russia, China, Canada, Brasil, Argentina, most of Africa.

jmho

BigDawg, muz, xrays and 3 others like this.
  7. Bwana6

Bwana6 Well-Known Member

One war, medium, large, or small with threats of sea lanes being blocked or oil production slowing will bring on electric bikes like you have never seen before. Just look at hurricane prices on gas in FL and other areas.
    Already electric bikes are right 'there' in terms of performance. Check out this one. Pricy for now but no real competition.

Lightning LS-218 - Wikipedia

This Lightening LS-218 is literally too fast and scary. And they are playing with a 400 mile range. For now.

Harley ( the equivalent to the F word in many circles ) has got an electric bike thats ready to go. I would dare say that every major manufacturer has electric bike plans on some drawing board or even further than that. Its coming. War, oil shutdowns, or emissions which could come with any election promise, will bring them on.

They are coming. Like it or not. I think many will like some models.

HD Live Wire. Looks like an upside down supercharger underneath. Very acceptable sport bike performance stats too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

I remember an electric bike at the Vic store.......................that is ready now.............don't remember stats, but they are there.

9. Bwana6

Bwana6 Well-Known Member

10. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Fortunately, I should be nothing but a memory by the time it happens.

11. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I think you might see an Indian dealer selling the Polaris Impulse, kinda like the SlingShot, but not with the Indian brand or logo on it.

JayFL459 likes this.
  12. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Until they can make a solar panel the size of a Garmin GPS that can recharge the batteries as fast as current alternators even on a cloudy day, I just don't think we'll see them for cross country type use. But keeping those batteries charged has to be conquered even for metro area use. Sure charging stations can be added to current fuel stations, but I think keeping them at max charge is the only way they'll be of any real use, and they can't do that now. Someday maybe.

sidecarsam likes this.
  13. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

If Polaris decides to market an electric bike, it will need the Indian name to succeed in North America. Every Indian dealership will need to be certified to maintain the bike.

I believe the best way to encourage the manufacturers to build what I want is to vote with my dollars. When Indian released the Scout, I decided to buy one as a way to encourage them to make more water cooled high performance bikes. I'll do the same for the first company that can get me a nice reliable electric commuter bike with a 300 mile range at a reasonable price. I think that bike should be available in five to seven years.

Bwana6 likes this.
  14. IronButt70

IronButt70 Well-Known Member

If it ever comes down to electric only bikes in my lifetime I'll ride my bicycle or walk.

15. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

It'll never be electric only any vehicles. Electric cars were invented in the 1830s and 1840s. If they were going to be such a wonderful answer to everything, we would have more of them already. People will realize sooner than later that Electric is not as green as they are being told.

16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I have wondered at the unseen costs of an electric car or bike. Yes, you no longer have a fuel bill if it's a full electric but how much does your home electrical bill go up by a month? This is not a bitch, I really am curious as to that cost,....as it has been said, you don't get something for nothing,.....
    Alpal

PS that said I would still love to own one of those electric push bikes that looks for all the world like an early Indian. I also wish I could find photos of it again. Anyone got some?
    Alpal

Cindy Hu, Da Nurse and sidecarsam like this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

And project that thought further. Assume that there are electric cars and bikes everywhere. They all need recharging. What is the effect on our power stations? How much power is needed to recharge a car? Even if it was only a light bulb amount, imagine America with say, 25 or 50% of its mobile fleet electric? That's a lot of light bulbs. Would electricity Companies be able to produce enough power to cover that? It's all a bit shocking really,.....:confused::cool:
    Alpal

Cindy Hu and sidecarsam like this.
  18. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

Well, story is the infrastructure in America needs upgrades and repair now. Add the load of how many millions of electric vehicles added to that, and it seems untenable. Not to mention what an hour or more for recharge? Todays people wanting instant gratification, the cost of disposal of the batteries, speaking of which, where are you going to put all of the disposals? I don't see it being a feasible option.............the tree huggers will have to think of something else.

Cindy Hu and sidecarsam like this.
  19. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

And what are you using to produce that electricity? Coal? Nuclear? Oil? Gas?

20. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

IronButt70, Da Nurse and sidecarsam like this.