Stupid Gina Question

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Gina, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

Was just in the garage doing my 10,000 mile service. Went through all the inspections, oil change and lubing of cables when I checked my service manual and it said to replace the brake fluid. Seriously? Should brake fluid brake down this fast? Is this a bit excessive? Should I get my lazy ass out and change the brake fluid , did others do this @ the 10,000 mile marker? Is there a purpose that I am don't know about? Help answer this for me please my gear head friends.

Cindy Hu, Da Nurse, Warlock and 2 others like this.
  2. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I think it's recommended every 2 years or 10,000 miles, which every comes first. So mine got changed 8 months. I thought it was early too but it looked pretty brown. It's not something I like fooling around with. People today challenge our brakes all the time. Oh, the why is it absorbs water which lowers the boiling point which could cause failure with hard or prolonged braking. I think that covers it all.

3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

The only thing I would like to add to @ndncowboy's answer, which by the way is right on the money and what I would have said also, is this, which I have stated before.

One of Squire White's quaint sayings, " the only dumb question is the one not asked".

And that about covers it from me:cool::rolleyes:
    Alpal

Roll On, Gina, Da Nurse and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

Thanks guys @ ndncowboy and @Alpal I did go and do the brake fluids, I guess I was thinking more like a car and 20,000. But hell I can be a silly girl at times. Now she is ready for the toy run on the 12th.

5. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Original 111

I talked to my Indian Dealership Mechanic in Hopkinsville about this and he told me that the recommendations for the Indian Services are based on an "Average Rider." Indian Defines their "Average Rider" as one who rides about 4,000 miles a year. So the thing with the Brake Fluid is Every 2.5 years or 10,000 miles which ever comes first - he said that pertained to the Belt, cable lubes, etc. as well. Also said that the Oil really only needed changing every 10,000 miles or Every Year, whichever came first, but added that in order to ensure complying with the Warranty it should be done every 5,000 miles.

Roll On, Da Nurse and Gina like this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Bikes need the changes more than cars and trucks. One reason I have pondered is because the fluid volume is so much less therefore will become contaminated a lot earlier. I put off changing the brake and clutch fluids on the Intruder some years ago and finally did it after five years. What I found could be described in one word,.........MUD!,........ And it took forever to clean everything up. I was converted. I am now the Two Year Kid when it comes to fluids.
    Alpal

7. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

@sidecarsam I guess on the Squaw I am an average rider as I get to spread my miles out over a few bikes.

8. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Original 111

I would Hardly call you an "Average Rider" no matter What bike you were riding. :)

9. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I change mine at the 10,000 Mile point. I also change out all my “rubber” brake lines every five years regardless of mileage.

10. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Does rubber deteriorate that quickly? Do you then go with those braided stainless steel lines as well? I can see doing it with 10 year old lines. 5 seems too soon but then nothing lasts like it used to.:(

Da Nurse likes this.
  11. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

The lines are under tremendous pressure and with me it’s a safety issue. Blowing a fork seal is one thing, a brake line, a whole different animal. More likely than not, it’s an over abundance of caution on my part I have no doubt. As far as stainless, depends on how much I have in my slush fund at the time.

Gina, Warlock and Da Nurse like this.