Stock Scout running gas mileage

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Performance' started by ScotD, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ScotD

ScotD Active Member

This is from my 2016 ABS running non-ethanol for 12,000 miles. I can count on one hand how many times I filled with corn gas. I did not include break-in period, but it was 38Mpg. 2019 is not included since I only road 4 times before trading in for a 2020. (house fixer upper=time eater)

Roads: Mostly backroads, little highway. Typically less than 65MPH.

2016_ABS.jpg

ScoutBobber49 and Rodd like this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi ScotD,........52 MPG US equals 62 MPG Imperial down here in Burtland,.......Interestingly before I fitted my GMan Industries 'Bully' tuner I got exactly that,.....62 MPG Imp or 52 MPG US. Once the tuner was fitted it dropped to 52 MPG Imperial but recent readjustment of the tuner settings has seen it rise again to 60 MPG Imperial or in your speak, about 49.9 MPG US. I am happy with the numbers because you cannot expect to get a better performing engine and retain the same fuel economy,....
    Alpal

ScotD likes this.
  3. 4thunder

4thunder Well-Known Member

@ScotD,

thanks for sharing.

I don’t record mine like you do, but I do check it often

I think the most fuel I put in was 2.7 US gallons

I hope my fuel pickup is as low as it can go!!!

ride on.
    4T

Alpal and ScotD like this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That was a problem with First Run Scouts 4Thunder but if out on a day ride and you're getting 130 to 150 miles to a tank, depending on your throttle hand, I would say your pickup is doing real fine, the one in the tank, not the one on the back! :cool::p:D:rolleyes:;),.....
    Alpal

4thunder likes this.
  5. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

I've only had my Bobber a short time. Just over 500 miles on it but here's what I've recorded.
    Premium gas only.

Scout Mileage.png Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 2.02.50 PM.png

#5 ScoutBobber49, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Alpal and ScotD like this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That into my language comes out at 57 MPG Imp which is good considering you are still running in a tight motor. If other Scout engines are anything to go by you will literally 'feel' a difference in your bike at about 10,000 miles and if you are still checking your fuel You'll see the mpg increase,......that's provided you don't have lead weights in your right glove dragging your hand down! Seems to be a problem with all of our gloves at some point,.........:cool::rolleyes:;),.........
    Alpal

Oh yes, premium gas here too,.......95 or 98 octane. I have tried both 91 and the higher octanes but have found only very minute differences in mpg,.....so little in fact that I concluded that the fuel and ignition systems in these bikes is so good that using different octanes makes no difference. That said I will NOT use 91 in the Scout unless I have no choice..........With earlier bikes however octane ratings DO make a difference. Using 91 octane in my 1997 VS800 Intruder ( carbureted model,..) has me switching to reserve at 75 miles on the trip meter, always 75 miles or a percentage point thereof,.....(unless that lead was in my glove again,...) but when I switch to 95 or 98 octane the switch to reserve is at 103 miles or a percentage point thereof...........and as is often the case this reply has reached the length where it can be called,.....
    The Ramblings of Alpal,.......:cool::cool:

ScoutBobber49 likes this.