Stock 116 Questions

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Performance' started by Dan_Frisbie, May 27, 2021.

1. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Bronze Member
    Supporter Original 111

I recently traded my 2014 111 for a 2019 RM with the 116 (stage 3) kit. It has been updated with the heavier rods, has a high flow filter, and just over 10k miles on the engine.
    1. I’ve noticed that when cold, a quick throttle blip will sometimes stall the engine, and it does stumble sometimes even with a warm engine blip. (I know that it is not necessary to blip these F.I. Bikes, but old habits die hard.)

2. When running with Rear Cylinder Deactivation on, often I will hear a quick knock (maybe 1 or 2) when I first give it fuel to activate the rear cylinder again.

3. This engine seems to be a little “jerky” on the throttle response. Or is it just me trying to get used to a new engine?

4. My stock 111 (with a PVCX tune) seemed to be more stable at a low rpm lug and grunt than this big motor. Similar, I suppose, to the 111 Stage 2 cams.

So am I imagining all this because I am kinda stuck on my old habits or is the 116 that much different?

2. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Not the whole answer you are looking for, as I do not own a 116", but I have noticed the "jerky" throttle on any Indian I have owned (15' Scout, 16' Vintage, 17' RM, 19' Spr DH, 19' FTR). It's really bad in "sport" mode on the 19 & > too.

The only way to get rid of it is to get a fuel controller and have the bike tuned. I'm not sure about your build, but several people I have talked to with the 116" report that they are very cold blooded, and tuning beyond factory settings is the way to go. Good luck!

#2 doublej, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  3. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Same motor, same year, same kit.

1) Same issue. The Master Tech at Music City Indian tells me the OEM tune on the BBK is the culprit, it's the norm, and it's not a problem. I also "blip". He recommends light throttle application during high idle cycle until it naturally sustains at ~900rpm, or just let die, turn it off [to cold start] and restart. The restart is 9.5/10 times good to go.

2) Same. When stuck in traffic on an interstate (long accident or construction related stop-n-go) I turn the deactivation OFF. Multiple quick restarts can kill my motor and it works to restart. No idea why but it happens. If I turn the setting OFF in that specific case, I experience no issues.

3) The throttle lag (play in the grip prior to the signal telling the injectors to activate at some flow rate) in standard mode takes getting used to and definitely manifests as jerkiness. Sport mode is almost binary.

4) My 2016 Stg 1 had similar low range behavior. I'm told the Lloydz tune smooths out the low end, wakes up the mid range and gives you a touch more up top. I've not done it yet, but that's what the Master Tech running a similar set-up to mine reports.

Behavior, to my experience, between the 111 TS and the BBK is quite different in exactly the ways you describe.

doublej and IROQUOIS like this.
  4. Dan_Frisbie

Supporter Original 111

Thanks, J. I think I’m going to try the new PV3 and see if Fuel Moto can tune out the issues. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one.

doublej and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I'll be curious how your luck goes. I'm super on the fence. The PV3 with support would be a cheaper option than Lloydz.

doublej likes this.
  6. Dan_Frisbie

Supporter Original 111

I was really happy with the PVCX on my stock 111. It really cleaned up the response and just made the bike feel “right”. Since the PV3 is the follow on, it’s a logical choice for me.

doublej and Baldhead_J like this.
  7. rickkcir

rickkcir Well-Known Member

My '14 with a 116 and 585 cams used to be jerky. Several tunes later, finally found the sweet spot. Runs a lil rich, but man she'll haul ass. (120hp/140tq on the dyno). That being said, I also have a '21 with the 116 'stock' ... I'm still breaking it in, but man it's smooth as glass, and I leave it it 'power' mode. ... feels like there is a ton of torque buried in there...

My '14 used to be quirky as hell with the original tune.... sort of what you are describing.

doublej, IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  8. LifeLongRider

LifeLongRider Member

My 21 Chieftain has a completely stock 116 and does not exhibit any of the symptoms you describe save one. Seems a little lean lugging at low throttle and consequently a little jerky a very low parking lot speeds whether in Tour Mode or Standard Mode (haven't tried Sport Mode yet). With rear cylinder deactivation on, nice an quiet on take off's, you'd never know it was on (except for the put-put-put at idle). I've always been one to just "leave em like I bought em" and I'm perfectly happy with the engine just the way it is. What I've experienced is just the nature of the beast and I'm fine with it.

#8 LifeLongRider, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    tthunder38 and Baldhead_J like this.