Stator issues

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Bobby Jesus, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

So. Saw my volts jumping around during a ride. Had it checked out. Turns out the stator is getting weak. New stator is around 350. Rotor about 725. Will need an oil change kit. And labor costs. I know this kind of thing happens but let's just say my confidence in the brand has taken a hit. Hell my old shovel had a rotor and v reg change 25 years ago. Still good. And those were custom chrome parts. Anyways for a 21k bike with only 50k on the odometer that is really sad. Will be selling this bike. Not buying another Indian. Hell I traded an 07 street glide for this bike. Wish I still had it

JayFL459 likes this.
  2. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

I understand your frustration.....why don't you PM @dieselgman and see if he has the needed parts. I bet he could save you big bucks. Just have to have installed.

3. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

I feel your pain. I know you’ve said this is the best bike you’ve ever owned but views change when expensive stuff goes south after relatively few miles. Especially when you’ve taken exceptionally good care of your ride. Seems like I’m hearing/seeing issues more often these days. It only took 4 months of frustration/issues for one of my buds to unload his 16 RM. Hope you have better luck with your next ride. Be safe.

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  4. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

The bikes is a beast. But It's unacceptable after only 5 years. I've been thru 3 v regs (always checked power at stator) now this. It's too bad.

Baldhead_J and IROQUOIS like this.
  5. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

That's not normal for sure. Something is causing this.
    I just look at @Lake City Larry and see how good his bike has been. It hasn't been without issues but most of it is because he has flat wore out parts.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  6. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  7. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

That Stator and Rotor on my '05 Dyna is still working great as well as the Voltage Regulator, all which are Original OEM.. Last time had the primary open a couple of months ago tested it and still reads and looks like a new one .. Not bad for a 17 year old ride ..

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  8. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

This is just my opinion but it seems to me bikes that incorporate the engine as part of the frame transmit more high frequency vibrations to the entire bike. The rider may not even notice them but they are there, especially in a vtwin configuration. They could be shaking your electronics apart internally while you feel what are considered “normal” vtwin vibrations. Not the same beast but jr. and I both test road Ducati Diavels a few years ago. Same basic engine part of frame design. When done we compared notes. Power and handling, superb, but the vibrations were just awful. I mean everything rattled, handlebars, foot rests, gas tank. Review mirrors were basically useless above 30 MPH. Anyway, JMHO

IROQUOIS and Bobby Jesus like this.
  9. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Good point.

IROQUOIS and IronButt70 like this.
  10. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

@IronButt70 you bring forth a possible explanation (a great one at that) of why @Bobby Jesus has replaced 3 volt regs and now stator and rotor.
    Wouldn't the rest of us experience this with the 111 TS? I haven't heard of this being a wide spread problem. I'm open to hear from anyone going through those electrical parts at that rate.

#10 IROQUOIS, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  11. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

@Bobby Jesus A Rotor as in for the wheels are you Fukin kidding me Bobby ? Am I missing something here ?

12. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Stator rotor. Part of the charging system. Brake rotors are fine.

Ny Mike and IROQUOIS like this.
  13. Ny Mike

Jeez that’s insane wtf ! I just looked in my log of maintenance I keep on my bike. I changed the one on my Harley at 83,686 it now has 163,000 on it.

14. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Stator = Stationary.. Rotor = Spins

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  15. Ny Mike

Hhmmmm I’m guessing it just mite pay for a extended warranty with these bikes. I got one because of the miles I’m racking up in retirement now. They are 1/2 the price that they were on my Harleys. Which definitely paid for themselves

JayFL459, Bobby Jesus and IROQUOIS like this.
  16. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

Just speculating again but the vibrations could vary from engine to engine. I’m sure PI tries to produce a smooth as possible running engine but there will always be variances in anything that is mass produced.

17. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Yes, that's what I was getting at. I think maybe theirs a electrical gremlin at work here on his bike. I don't think it's wide spread.
    I've had cars like that. It does sour you on any brand.

JayFL459 and Bobby Jesus like this.
  18. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I'm beyond sour. I've gotta make a decision. Speaking of decisions get this: I emailed corporate. Basically to give them a heads up on this issue and to basically complain about what they list as trade in value and what I was offered. To make a short story long, the response was I had two options, either take what I was offered or go to a different dealership. Ha. I told them that there is a third option and thanked him for his time.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  19. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

I’m not at all surprised at their response. I’ve had dealings with PI CS going back to the 90s when they were in the PWC business. Nothing new under the sun.
    Take one of the new mono rear shock 114 softails for a test ride. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. You’ll probably do better selling your Indian than trading it in. JMHO

IROQUOIS and Bobby Jesus like this.
  20. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I agree. I'll be putting it for sale. I'm not in a hurry. Have 2 other bikes.

IronButt70 and IROQUOIS like this.