Starting a fight with HD

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Notaharley, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

Talk about targeting HD....

#1 Notaharley, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Lucky, Papa Lar, Warlock and 6 others like this.
  2. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

3. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

It ain’t a fight, it’s a well deserved ass whuppin’

Papa Lar, thumper, Warlock and 5 others like this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Someone should send Mr Laid-Low an email of those two clips,.......Yep,.....definite copy of the Harley,......NOT!!! ,........Then our Friend will really be laid low,........:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;)

Ny Mike, muz, thumper and 6 others like this.
  5. Lake City Larry

Lake City Larry Active Member

Harley-Davidson’s marketing strategy over the years kind of reminds me of General Motors in that they relied too much on ( brand loyalty) return customers and ignored product improvement. The Japanese approach to marketing was to produce an excellent product and then only change colors and graphics until the model was so aged that sales were down to 5 % before it was discontinued. Harley has done a good job of tweaking components on models to keep interest in them as they age, but lack In changing obvious flaws. Companies that rely on their heritage can end up drowning in their own history. Without the bailout of GM , they would be victims of their history. Innovation to gain market share is common; doing it consistently requires discipline and dedication. Harley-Davidson has had their ups and downs over their history, and survived. Only time will prove who was better at it ! In the end, stiff competition will always produce a better product, and the consumer will benefit the most ! That’s us !

PileOParts, Papa Lar, Warlock and 4 others like this.
  6. DoubleP

DoubleP Well-Known Member

I had to study the Challenger long and hard. Perfect name for an Indian. Set up is right, appears the fit and finish is right and I love the mill. I have to say that HD paint and chrome are better IMHO. I have and will always be an Indian rider. The HD biker image is dated and so is their marketing strategy. I hope they stay in business and compete - Most loved and iconic USA brand ever

PileOParts, Papa Lar, thumper and 4 others like this.
  7. Notaharley

Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing!

Who's got his email adress?? ;)

Warlock, IROQUOIS and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  8. Hugh Jorgan

Hugh Jorgan Well-Known Member

If you purchase something because the paint and chrome are better..... basically it looks better vs reliability then good luck. I’ll be riding and you’ll be watching. My buddies I go on long rides with ask when I’m going to buy an HD...... I just laugh and ask when you going to buy an Indian. It’s funny, my Indian has gone everywhere their HD’s have gone and more. I’m 6’8 and don’t fit on an HD..... I ask when’s HD going to make a bike for a normal size person.

IROQUOIS, Warlock and sidecarsam like this.
  9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I must?

IROQUOIS likes this.
  11. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I thought about posting that in the Indian Mega Thread over on the Harley forum. Decided not to though because it would just start a shit show.

Warlock, Baldhead_J, Aargow and 4 others like this.
  12. Notaharley

HahaHaha, I know!
    I just lurk around... been a member forever, but hardly ever post.

As long as it's good natured, competition and even harassment is good...and entertaining!

IROQUOIS and thumper like this.
  13. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I still post over there but not as much as did in years past.

Warlock and IROQUOIS like this.
  14. rrhemi

rrhemi Member

Everyone loves a good shit show! I took care of it!

will, Notaharley, Warlock and 4 others like this.
  15. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Let the Games begin!!!:p:p
    Alpal

16. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Y'all have to provide feedback, I've never seen that forum.

will and Warlock like this.
  17. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

It’s a different time in motorcycling. Brand loyalty for Harley to continue surviving is over. A lot of us stood by them knowing they had the most inferior product. Due to one thing we wanted to ride American iron and options were none other. Victory built a better bike but the style never really took off. I bought a Magnum and dumped my RG for it. A lot of us hung on waiting for HD to finally get it right lol waste of a lot of years in my eyes. Those that hung on are approaching the end of their riding years. In another decade the old loyalty bunch will be about done. Time for HD to get a new approach in order to survive. Their bikes are better then they were no doubt but still not where they should be. When you’ve been doing it longer then anyone else how do you not have the best product out there I always said. I still have one probably always will. But it’s parked next to my indian which is now my long distance touring bike. And my sons all ride Harleys. 2 of them late models M8,s. Still can’t compare to my chieftain in ride and handling.

muz, Gator Mcklusky, Aargow and 4 others like this.
  18. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

I haven't looked closely at an H-D in decades, but I have to say that when my RM took some minor trailering damage, the dealership sent the fairing off to a paint shop in Wisconsin (?) that does Harley work and it came back looking absolutely brand-new perfect. The judgment is subjective, but I think Harley still has a lock on the look and sound, but Indian is clearly far and away the better engineered and produced motorcycle, and look and sound are rather like a body builder's or runway model's clothes -- looks, not substance.

muz, IROQUOIS, tthunder38 and 2 others like this.
  19. Gunnysgt80

Gunnysgt80 Member

I've owned 47 Harleys. Yes you read that right, 47. Every model you can imagine and lastly a 2018 CVO Ultra. I was total brand loyal until I started having clutch and motor issues on brand new bikes. That did it for me. I am loyal to the quality and reliability of Indians now and will not buy another Harley. The paint is not quite as smooth as Harley but smoother paint matters not when you can't rely on your ride getting you home. My 2019 RM is the ticket, and several thousand dollars less than that $46K Ultra.

20. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

Here’s what did it for me Gunny. They know there’s a problem in the motor. We know they know because they will sell you the fix. And will be more then happy to charge you for the problem that they continuously put back in the motor. But they will continue to put it in the motor year after year after year. Flywheel runout due to weak sloppy bottom ends, automatic primary chain slack adjusters that only know how to tighten and take out the main primary bearing and let’s not forget the infamous cam chain adjusters they kept putting in the motor up to 2006. Lol for the loyalty their customers showed . They should have treated us better. Instead they knew whatever they built we’d be back and they took advantage of it in my eyes. They knew for many years where else are they gonna go. Lol it’s a new time and they are starting to realize they are no longer the only game in town. And this Indian competition is showing itself.

#20 Ny Mike, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Baldhead_J, muz, Alpal and 4 others like this.