Seriously...when will it end????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JonScout, Aug 1, 2020.

1. JonScout

JonScout Well-Known Member

Eskimo
    This was a term that Europeans used for a huge group of indigenous people living in the Arctic regions. Linguists believe the word came from the French word "esquimaux", referring to one who nets snowshoes.

European colonizers used the term broadly, lumping all Native Americans in that region into one ethnic group.

Along these lines, after launching an extensive research and engagement process on the name three years ago, with an emphasis on listening to Inuit communities, The Edmonton Eskimo Football Club Board of Directors made the decision to discontinue the use of the word “Eskimo” in the team’s name to continue the tradition of being responsive to community perspective.

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: Eskimo Pie packaging in the style of the 1920's was released for the product's 75th anniversary in 1997. (KRT via Newscom)
    "We feel it is important to make this change in response to the findings of our recent engagement and research. Going forward, we want the focus to be on the work we do in the community and our team’s excellence on the field as the CFL’s most successful franchise.” said Janice Agrios, chairwoman of the board of directors.

2. ScotD

ScotD Well-Known Member

Any company that panders no longer gets my business.

tthunder38, will and rusty nuts like this.
  3. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

My Cuzzy-Bro will never change his name!,.....
    Alpal

will likes this.
  5. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Can you say that? Panders have feelings too

ScotD, muz and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  6. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

It will not until we find a way to stand up to the snowflakes and white-guilt ridden college educated females who are offended just be being in existence.

One day companies will grow some balls, until that time they will simply be picked off one at a time - regardless of their pandering.

BD

will, ScotD and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  7. ScotD

ScotD Well-Known Member

Trader Joes stood up.
    The MLB team Atlanta Braves stood up. Sadly, MLB corporate decided to pander so no MLB for me.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  8. storskegg

storskegg Member
    Supporter

Well... rather than pandering, perhaps the company is being considerate of the Inuit's perspective that, to them, Eskimo is derogatory. The etymology of the word represents where the word came from, regardless of how it's used today, or how it's received by it's target.

For instance, the word faggot referred to, generally, a burden; the most commonly cited example is the heavy bundle of sticks one would carry back for burning, thatching, fencing, etc. The term later referred to the elderly or infirmed, because they were a burden upon the home, etc. Of course, we all know the reference to a cigarette, harkening back to the sticks. And, today, it's used to reference anyone who isn't strictly heterosexual.

Someone might cite the bundle of sticks as why it's okay to use the term, but that doesn't mean it isn't derogatory; and anyone who'd refer to my kid as a faggot within earshot won't have the word out of their mouth before I send my first through it.

Personally, I think simply changing the name of their product is both thoughtful and civil. As for myself, I'm only mostly civil.

#8 storskegg, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  9. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

And the Redskins stood up FOR YEARS. They didn't cave to pander, they caved to financial pressure. Just give Trader Joe's a little more time, and the right twitter mob . . .

BD

10. storskegg

storskegg Member
    Supporter

Well, to fight back, we could embrace it by owning the other way... The Atlanta Falcons could be renamed the Atlanta Crackers; the mascot could be a seedy plantation handler with a whip.

11. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

If indigenous peoples have a problem then fine, change it. If they are proud to have there name associated with a name or term then shut the hell up about it. If a name, whether a company, team, whatever has a name and people associated with it have zero problem then what Anglo-Saxon male/female “whatever” has nothing of importance to put forward. I’ve had it with revisionist and their way of thinking. If you don’t like it, “MOVE TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY”!!!!
    I’m done, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

ScotD likes this.
  12. ScotD

ScotD Well-Known Member

I've bolded out your strawman that you based your assertion on - the 'what if'. It's invalid. If they (inuit, other tribes) have a problem with it, let them point it out. The audacity of ego for SJWs to think a given group isn't strong enough to make their voice heard is the true bigotry here. It assumes the 'victimized' group is somehow inferior enough they can't or won't speak for themselves. Sheer ego and bigotry on the part of SJWs. The acid test that SJWs fear and never ask: "Does the name provide a positive or negative perceptive to the majority?"

Let's take Aunt Jemima for example. Did it give a positive or negative perspective? As a result of the name and image, how many sought out to learn about Lillian Richard, an excellent role model for any young girl. She worked hard against a lot of odds and changed history. SJWs should be proud they deleted the chance someone might find that out. Uncle Ben's is another fine example. Instead of kids seeking out where the name came from and learning about a well known hard working Texas farmer, they'll now learn anything having to do with a black's face on a product is a.) racist and b.) inferior. What a wonderful association. Perhaps the SJWs should have considered all the young black boys named Benjamin and how they affected them.
    and then there's Mrs. Butterworths. Well, that one I agree with now knowing the history. However before all this claptrap started I didn't know it. I had a warm, positive perspective of the character and associated it with wonderful weekend breakfasts at grandmas which their marketing was successful at. I'm certain this positive perspective is shared among the majority otherwise the brand would not have survived.

#12 ScotD, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    IronButt70, BigDawg and will like this.
  13. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Every time I try to reply, I say something that could potentially get me in trouble, so I’ll exercise some restraint. 201 work days until retirement.

14. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Sit in the driver's room with 50 or so co-workers......a Snowflake would have spit bubbles coming out the side of there mouth and carried out on a stretcher hearing what's said back and forth in that room.....:D:eek:

15. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

Nope.

Alpal likes this.
  16. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

With age comes wisdom I've been told. :rolleyes:

IROQUOIS and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Quinn the Eskimo,....right here on a forum looking at you!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;),...Cuzzy Bro's we are!:p
    Alpal

18. JonScout

JonScout Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out if I should burn the "Huck Finn" book or destroy my Firesign Theatre records.

will likes this.
  19. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

7A7F4BEE-5AFC-45E6-BEA8-699D44B3D719.jpeg I’m done with horse racing

IROQUOIS and ScotD like this.
  20. ScotD

ScotD Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful shire.