Self-Canceling Turn Signals

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by Aargow, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Since buying my 2016 Chieftain three years ago, I've been impressed with how well engineered this bike is. Especially considering that it was only the third model year for the new Indian.
    The only exception to that has been the self-canceling turn signals. They often don't cancel after making a turn and they occasionally self cancel prior to making a turn.
    The first problem is frequent and really just a nuisance. I've become used to looking down after a turn and turning them off.
    The second problem is more infrequent and, as I recently discovered, a little more dangerous. About two weeks ago, I was at a four-way stop. I was turning left and an SUV who should have given way to me was turning right. I began my left turn and he began his right. Because we both started from a stop, neither of us was going that fast and we stopped before colliding. He was kind enough to stop to see if I was okay and to suggest that I use my turn signal next time. I distinctly remember turning it on but he said it was off.
    Without engaging in too much hyperbole, I now think this turn signal systems' occasional tendency to self-cancel before a turn is potentially dangerous.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Is it an issue on earlier models only or does it persist in newer models? Does anyone know if there is a fix for it?

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  2. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I have found that canceling seems to be timed as well as turn related. Whenever I make a turn from a full stop, I immediately cancel the signal after completing the turn. If I’m making a rolling turn or changing lanes I use the method of just holding the button either left or right which cancels it as soon as you release.

Gator Mcklusky, IROQUOIS and Aargow like this.
  3. matfre

matfre Active Member

I always cancel the turn signal regardless, from years of riding with no such function, it is just an ingrained habit at this point. I will also reapply the turn signal if I sit for a significant amount of time because of past bikes that had issues with the timer length on it. So all that is to say that I don't know if I have any issues with the function or not.

Gator Mcklusky, Aargow and IROQUOIS like this.
  4. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I keep an eye on it. But have not experienced the issues you have. I don't recall it ever canceling before a turn. I believe it senses speed, turn, and time. On a rare occasion on a more sweeping turn it will not cancel. I tend to use the push and hold feature if it is a gradual turn or changing lanes. I really like that feature.

I did have a warranty issue about a year ago when the turn signal would turn on at random times. That was irritating and potentially dangerous. The switch was corroded and was replaced. fixed the problem. Maybe your issue is similar.

Aargow likes this.
  5. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I generally consider this to be a low-level issue as well. I would never even bring it up except for almost getting whacked at the stop sign.
    At this point, I would prefer to be able to turn the self-canceling feature off. Like you guys, I'm used to canceling the signal after a turn. I'm also pretty good about noticing when it has canceled itself prior to a turn. Usually, this is associated with a long wait at a light or the road turning before the actual turn. This time, I'm not sure why it canceled and, unfortunately, I didn't notice.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  6. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

I have had no such issues, but I do remember reading somewhere on here that the self-cancelling is triggered by length/time and/or turn angle. I guess that means if you indicate too early (?) it will likely turn off before the intended turn/change of lane. I think it was something like 300 yards (but not sure).

Just a thought in case you are expecting it to stay on for a lengthy lead up to the turn.

#6 JuanPoopalot, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Aargow likes this.
  7. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

The blinkers cancel after 30 seconds or after the bike accelerates to 20 mph.
    If you take a turn at a speed of 20 mph or higher, the 30 second timer turns off the blinkers.
    If you turn your blinker on, then accelerate to 20 mph, the blinker will cancel without your making a turn.

8. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

My EVO had the push and hold signal switches. My next planned bike purchase will be an EVO and it will have the push and hold turn signals along with all the other “I’m smart enough to operate a bike myself” stuff.

Aargow likes this.
  9. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

That gives me hope for a resolution. If there are Indians out there that don't do this, maybe:
    1) Mine is an anomaly and can be fixed, or
    2) Subsequent model years had a more refined system and mine could be retrofitted, or
    3) The system delivered to other nations works better due to more stringent regulations.
    What model and year are you riding, John?

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  10. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information, Dan. I'm heading out on a 10 day trip on Saturday. I'll watch it closely. It seems like it is doing something outside of those parameters especially with the premature canceling.

11. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

It is a 2017 Springfield, so I am coming up to 2 years of ownership in October.

Good luck with the issue - hope you can get it sorted.

Aargow likes this.