Scout owners feeling the vibe?,.........Time to check your driver belt?,.....

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Alpal, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Been out recently?,.....Noticed a vibration seemingly in the seat of your pants on hard acceleration or even at 70 MPH cruise speeds?,......time to check your drive belt tension,.....

Strangely enough I had not noticed anything prior but today while out on a very early morning ride felt a vibration up through the seat and into my bum,......Hmmmmm,.....interesting,......What is this?,......So,....after completing my wake up call ride I hopped off the bike after placing it in my vertical bike stand and did the usual,.....check this , check that, tyre pressures etc and what I found was the drive belt was the drive belt was able to be pushed up by about an inch and a half,........now that ain't good,....so it was out with the bike jack and up in the air we went,.....after however the mandatory wait for the belt to cool down,.....adjusting a belt when it is hot or wet is never a good thing so the bike jack was 5 hours in the making,.......All good anyway as I have a new table saw I am learning to use safely and a couple of push sticks to make to ensure I always keep my fingers attached to my wrists..

So, once the bike was jacked up with a securing strap locking the front wheel into the stand I got to it,.....

Check your belt for the tight spot area and carry out ant adjustment at that point,......be watchful,.....the tight spot on mine was barely a 1/4 inch........Once you have loosened the rear axle shaft bolt SLIGHTLY,....(theres no need to have it sloppy ) check the two adjusting nut positions on either side of the wheel and if you belt is loose as mine was, tighten them evenly by a nut flat each until you achieve the required 10 pounds pressure over half an inch with your belt gauge.,........ It does not take much to make a big difference!,.....How do you know that what you have done is good?,.......By the silence as you rotate the wheel AGAINST the normal direction of rotation,.....if the wheel spins with little or no noise then you can rest assured you have got it right. If you have adjusted the belt too much on one side or the other you will hear it and see it as it rotates,...You will see it as the belt moves from one side of the drive wheel to the other depending on which direction you spin the wheel.

You will notice the difference on the very next ride because your bum cheeks will not be vibrating sending funny feelings through your nuts,......if your a fella,.....cannot comment for the fair sex,.....Always read your manual and if you don't have one, PM me and I'll send you the full instructions on how the job is done,.....

Happy riding Scout owners,......Be sure to drag off a Big Sister or two while you're out there,.....they'll hate you for it!!!!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;),......red rules!!!!!

Alpal

Drive belt deflection,.....i/2 inch at 10 pound tension
    Rear axle torque setting,.....65 ft/lbs
    A flat and a half was all it took on the adjusting nuts to take the belt from an inch and a half to half to half an inch deflection.

#1 Alpal, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Had the back wheel out recently getting a new C3 tyre fitted so had to go through the belt tighten/wheel alignment exercise you describe and it was not without problems! I have digital copy of the 2015 workshop manual and started doing what it says until I realised that whoever wrote it doesn't know left from right and the whole section on belt alignment is totally screwed up. What I have found since is that Polaris now have the proceedure properly documented here:
    Drive Belt Tension / Alignment

Now the only tricky part was not having a tool to measure 10lbs loading on the belt, so I made one.
    20201011_092521.jpg

Alpal likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

hah!,......I know exactly what you mean as I have written notes on those pages correcting their errors. What I might do is print off your 'new' notes and place them in my manual,.....Thanks Rodd,.....
    Alpal

PS Repco and/or Supercheap sell the gauges for a measly ten odd dollars,......

ScotD likes this.