Scout Availability

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Bobby Jesus, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

So. I was at a dealership last Saturday and noticed they were low on inventory. Especially the scouts. I asked the GM what gives. Says they are selling a lot of bikes and scouts are flying out of the showroom. They are at the point where they are taking deposits for new scouts. Just curious if anyone is seeing this at their local dealership.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  2. 4thunder

4thunder Bronze Member

It has been about two weeks since I was at the dealer, but yes the inventory was low for all bikes IMHO. I think they had one Scout Bobber and two Scout Sixty's on hand.

One salesman told me that March was a record breaking month for them. They sold 67 bikes, of which 18 were new, if memory serves. Now all they have on the front showroom floor are new Indians, but they do/did have a bunch of other makes in the back showroom.

While this probably does not sound like a big deal, they are a fairly small dealer in a smaller market, keeping in mind Kansas has less than 3 million residents and our biggest town/city is right around 400 K.

4T

doublej and Bobby Jesus like this.
  3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Yes I was told they sold a lot of bikes in March. Must be the stimulus checks

4thunder likes this.
  4. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Kind of same as @4thunder owner of dealership told me there is a severe lack of inventory...covid and weather related supply chain issues.....people don't realize that the GULF area shutting down for one week+ has a staggering affect on many industries throughout the US.

ScotD and 4thunder like this.
  5. JonScout

JonScout Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy who bought a black scout last week at one dealer but it had to come from a second dealer. Definitely low stock, but I never see them on the road. What do you do with them after you get a Scout? Living room art?

Alpal and 4thunder like this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

My second Scout was "living art" as you put it. The bike was one of four non-production Demo's that were supposed to go back for destruction after the Production models were released but I think the cost to do so decided Indian to advise Cyclespot ( Burtland's only Indian dealer at the time ) to "make" them into production models and sell them. There were 200 non-production demo's built and distributed around the world, mine being number 135 and an August 2014 build if my memory serves me correctly. It was sold a number of times with me being the sixth owner! So why do I think it was a 'Show Pony" or "living room art" ? Coffee table even?,....Because when I bought it, the mileage read a mere 1,125 miles! And the guy I bought it from told me he had had it for a year and done roughly only 600 miles so decided to get rid of it. The bike was basically still needing to be run in,.....He was the one that took it in for its first service!,.....5th Owner!

Cyclespot did a botch up of the first sale also,......they never advised Indian USA the bike had been sold so when one of the previous owner had a warranty claim in 2016, THAT was when Indian deceived notice the bike was sold so started the warranty period from there. Paid off well for me as the gear change shaft oil seal began leaking and I still had 6 months warranty left to have it replaced. The Service Manager was not happy due to the age of the bike by then but as he said, you can't argue with the dates,.......

So!!,.......Right back to the beginning,.....What do I do with my "Living Room Art"?,.......Why I keep it in full view of the public, right out there on the streets for all to see. I still find it amazing that after 6 years of these beautiful Scouts being out there, just how many people stop to compliment me on firstly riding such a beautiful bike and on how clean it looks,......"Show Pony"?,.....For sure, and always out in the big wide world,.....
    Alpal

SixShooter, ScotD, muz and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I've been seeing a lot of them here in south Florida. Saw a few when I was on my trip up to Tennessee. Even saw an ftr at the gap

8. muz

muz Bronze Member

There are a few at dealers here in New Zealand but sell very well. Surprising how many people are buying the Bobbers too. i had a local older guy phone me yesterday asking about the Scout, he's getting one, so I told him to put in an order pronto for what colour he wants or he will miss out.

4thunder and Bobby Jesus like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

So what are we thinking here?,......Scouts are off the menu? Indian pulling a cunning move with a new bike in the wings?
    Alpal

SixShooter and muz like this.
  10. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I don't think so. They sell. But I believe someone posted something about a scout rogue coming out

Alpal likes this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, That's sort of what I meant Bobby,......Yes, The Scout will still be here but with a new set of clothes,......maybe I should try to be less cryptic huh,.......So post forth anyone with info on the Scout Rogue,.....
    Alpal

12. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

No. It's me. No sleep last night. My discernment radar is malfunctioning

Alpal likes this.
  13. muz

muz Bronze Member

I like your thinking. I wouldn't put it past them, that's for sure. Actually makes sense. Limit the production in 2021 to basically, Meet the Demand, while producing the new Rogue for 2022.
    I'd be keen for an Octanized type Scout. let's see, taller, thinner front wheel, adjustable forks, twin disc, 1133 motor taken into the late 1200cc regions, bit bigger tank, new ride command dash, quality comfort seat, decent quality more upright rear shocks, scout fenders. full led lighting, decent reach bars. That there people is a winner.

14. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

I see that there are accessories called rogue so maybe it is just a dressed up scout with rogue range of accessories plus a cam up motor to give some more power.

4thunder likes this.
  15. Daytonamark

Daytonamark New Member

I also have a pre-production demo which was purchased by a dealer who then sold it to me. It is #69 and had 850 miles on it when I bought it in 2017. I can tell you that whoever rode it first did so fast and hard, as it hardly had any footpegs left by the time I got it. I love it!!!!

16. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

Not me. My 2020 Bobber, which is one of four street legal bikes that I ride. :)

Screenshot 2021-07-20 6.53.39 PM.png

17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Good on you Mark! You are the first person other than myself to have a 2014 Pre-production bike! Are you in the states?

Burtland had four delivered and I think from memory one was written off. Have you noticed anything different between your bike and other Scouts?
    Regards,
    Alpal

18. SixShooter

SixShooter Well-Known Member

Summers In New Hampshire/ Winters In Florida
    Music to my ears!