ScootNScouts Build

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Build Section' started by ScootNScout, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ScootNScout

ScootNScout New Member
    Original 111

This is not the full write up... I will be updating this first post periodically.

Excuse if the bike mods are not in exact order

I come from a motorcycle drag racing background. I raced F3s with nitrous, F4i, GSXR1000s which then led to me looking for "another way out" to have fun, and not just full throttle in a straight line. I moved on to track days with the F4i, which was fun but started to get the cruiser itch. After a couple of metrics, I went with a 2001 Scout and started tinkering with it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I put a deposit down on August 13, 2014 (my birthday) for the First Run Scout line, and finally got it on January 7th.

I loved it from the start. Had plenty of ideas to be different. As everyone should be.
    This is how it was brought home.cwith an instant Markall marker to the Kenda tires. Gutted mufflers and stage 1 flash.

image.jpeg

After searching eBay for a rear fender to mess with, I started playing with ideas for a flat track or board track style bike
    I also made a trip to the local "bike cemetery" and picked up a couple different style handlebars.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Btw. A can of Toyota spray paint from autozone did the trick for me for the time being.

image.jpeg

The bike needed more of a mechanical look in my opinion. Here goes nothing...

image.jpeg

So, after having the bike maybe a month or so, I received a random telephone call at the shop by the "average Joe" I thought, looking for the availability of a Scout. So my instinct is to transfer to the Sales Department. After a few minutes my phone buzzes back to me and our salesman says hey dude -- take this phone calll.....

It was the Marketing Manager from JRI Shocks, and they are looking to develop an adjustable shock for the Scout. I was floored when he asked me if I would be willing to let him use the Scout for a few weeks. With no hesitation and a few liability and transfer papers in hand she sits on a trailer awaiting tomorrow to deliver to them.

The stock handlebars have been put back on, and will provide them with my Reduced Reach Black seat and also the stock Desert Tan seat for testing purposes.

Much anticipation and anxiety as I await what exactly they are going to do, but I get nothing but good impressions from the team over there. I am offered a full tour of their facility and can't wait.

Loaded in the mommy mobile and locked in the garage for the night.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I took it around a local "mountain terrain", "twisty" area after work.

At a stop sign I simply turn my body left and adjust the ride at the bottom portion of the shock for more of a stiff ride. To each their own on how they like their ride, but man I am getting grown on these shocks for sure.

The convenience of setting up (stiffen or soften) without lifting the bike is superb. 10-20 seconds so really even at a traffic light this shock can be adjusted accordingly to different varieties of riding terrain.

Link to Scout shocks
    Indian | JRi Shocks

JRi Factory shots

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Blessed to try out different spring rates as well. Huge shout out to JRi.

image.jpeg

What to do for a tail light? Man that was a struggle to figure out what compliments the bike but fits to the style. Imagine that, it ended up being the factory light under the 1920 solo saddle.
    Ended up going with the Emgo "sport" bars with the handlebar adapters from AEROMACH (hey Paul!). Got rid of the 40lb mufflers and went with slash cut end caps.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some small details.

image.jpeg

The new fly screen may not look like much, but IT WORKS for my stance. I utilize passenger pegs whenever possible for an aggressive style, easier leans and overall more comfortable (FOR ME) stance. I'm 6' 175lbs soaking wet.

image.jpeg

More details and pictures to come. Stay tuned.

#1 ScootNScout, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

I love this post so much! Good work man and thanks for being a part of the site!

Sturgis 75th and ScootNScout like this.
  3. ScootNScout

ScootNScout New Member
    Original 111

Thanks Nick. Seems like I can't get back in the original post to add some info and photos.
    Is there an edit limit? Of when a reply is posted you can not edit the original post anymore?

Thanks for your help!

4. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

It was set at an hour limit. I just bumped it up to 4 hours.

5. ScootNScout

ScootNScout New Member
    Original 111

I need like 4 weeks!!! This'll take a while. Hah. Thank you Nick!

#5 ScootNScout, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. Hatt

Hatt Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Sweet looking scoot!

ScootNScout likes this.
  7. will

will Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Nice looking motocycle.

ScootNScout likes this.
  8. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

image.jpg Look what I found.

9. Hatt

Hatt Well-Known Member
    Original 111

It's cool that the new Indians are being taken seriously enough for radical customizing like that,, but the big wheel trend is not one I will be embracing.. remember back in the day, when it was a big arse rear wheel and trying to look over the 8 foot in the air triple trees?! Like OCCs bikes? Lol!
    What's cool one day, will be out of style the next day by the opposite... we used to crease and roll our pant bottoms, the next gen answered and Did bell bottoms again.. then came the baggies jeans,, and the gen. after that the skinny jean was invented..
    So, I dub those the skinny jean of the bike world... LMAO!
    But in all seriousness, I applaud the work done on that machine!
    Good find Bobby!

10. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I'm with you. Reminds me of the 90s fat tire craze. You couldn't give them away. Don't like the big wheel thing but I just had to get a photo.dirty bird built it. If you know anything about them you'll be happy to see they take indian real serious. Anyways we will have it at the shop for a couple of days.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  11. Hatt

Hatt Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I applaud DBC for exactly that.. and even tho it ain't my thing, it's cool as hell, and your even cooler having been able to throw a leg over it! Cheers Mr Jesus!

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  12. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

ScootN - Love your mods! If I had more garage space (and a whole lot more scratch) I'd be playing with mine too.

That DBC ride kinda reminds me of a two wheeled Big Wheel. Not my style, but it's kinda cool in a head scratchin' sort of way. ;)

Hatt likes this.
  13. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Dirty bird did some real cool work on this bike. Too many to go over. The headlight grill is my favorite.

14. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

I would like to see a 19" front wheel conversion. One that keeps the same tire profile,

15. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Anything new?

16. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Wasn't this covered on the "old" forum? I'm pretty sure that there's a guy over there that documented his entire journey through that process. I recall commenting that I disliked his deletion of the iconic front fender...

17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I wonder what @ScootNScout has done in the last three years??
    Alpal

18. iamandrewx

iamandrewx Member

cool build! can't wait to see more mods