Rule Changes for 2019

Discussion in 'AFT American Flat Track Racing' started by se7en10, Dec 26, 2018.

1. se7en10

se7en10 Well-Known Member

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

This is going to be one interesting season,......Indian will lose,.......YEAH RIGHT!!!,........Indian will do nothing,......YEAH RIGHT!!!

4. PileOParts

PileOParts Bronze Member

I'm out of my element here, but this reminds me of the revolutionary cat-ketch sailboats Garry Hoyt invented/designed, which were so fast they were either handicapped so severely they weren't competitive or got banned altogether from ocean racing -- I don't remember which.

Evidently the FTR750, purpose-built for ATR, is a significant step forward in the evolution of that genre of motorcycles. Polaris chose to spend the money to build a bike with a needle-thin focus. Harley, maker of more models and variations and subsets than all the fleas of all the camels in Egypt, had been coasting fat and happy in a racing class that (correct me if I'm wrong) had gotten stale from lack of excitement, using a modified street bike. Along comes evolution -- Australopithecus robustus meets homo erectus -- and AFT changes the rules to benefit what evolution has just passed by. Hmm.

But there is another side here, per the article. The Powers That Be want AFT to be accessible to the common man and for him to have a chance of success within it, and not be crushingly dominated by one (or more) deep-pockets manufacturers. From that angle, some leveling of the playing field seems like a worthy goal. Seems to me much of the issue comes down to what AFT is to be.

I can't begin to opine about the technical aspects of "how much is too much," but it seems that if AFT is to be an everybody-and-anybody participation class, some offset to Polaris' depth of pockets is appropriate.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  5. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Bronze Member

It's Richard Petty and the Plymouth Superbird all over again.

JayFL459 and Baldhead_J like this.
  6. se7en10

se7en10 Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't see it in this section.

sidecarsam likes this.
  7. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

No worries. It's still worth grousing about.

8. PileOParts

PileOParts Bronze Member

To appropriate Thumper's comment, "Bump."

9. Dadawada

Dadawada We can all use a little more cowbell!
    Supporter

I didn't even know FTR was still a thing...I mean I knew...but I didn't know anyone that actually paid attention to it or the races. Indian has brought new blood and fans to the sport and AFT and others saw that as a good thing. They were willing to let the rules bend to make it happen. I don't see they had real choice unless they wanted to continue to limp along at their current pace.

More interest equals more fans and corporate sponsorship which means more money which means more investment in new bikes and technology which means more fans which means more money...

10. dennisontwowheels

Supporting Vendor

Here at Klock Werks we are extremely proud to say that we had the opportunity to support Kenny as a Sponser and helping as much as we could in his success! A legend has left the track and hung up the leathers. Its Bitter Sweet, but that's just the way it Goes! We appreciate the love and hope he has nothing but more success in the future, the sport wont be the same without him. upload_2019-1-11_15-4-1.png

Warlock, sidecarsam and Baldhead_J like this.