Riding in hot weather

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Maze Cox, Aug 15, 2019.

?

What do you wear when riding a motorcycle in hot weather

1. All the gear all the time! Leather jack, trousers, boots, glove, full face helmet.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Kevlar Jeans, mesh jacket, lightweight gloves, ankle boots, open face helmet.

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. As little as possible! Shorts, T-Shirt, Trainers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (comment in thread).

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Maze Cox

Maze Cox New Member

Here in the UK we've had a bit of hot weather and as usual every Englishman gets all in a fluster (it's the same when we get a little sprinkle of snow too). However, having ridden my Scout from one side on London to the other on the hottest day of the year, indeed the hottest day on UK record I did get thinking about what people wear when its hot.

I passed many people on scooters and bikes in nothing but t-shirt, shorts and trainers but this is London and accidents happen, a lot! Personally I wouldn't dream of riding without protective gear and in my short time as an ex-pat in the US I was even laughed at for riding in a helmet. However, I do believe that each to their own but that said I do wonder what other people think on the matter?

Doing a bit of research I found these videos on the topic.

2. Kayt00

Kayt00 New Member

It gets pretty toasty on the regular here in the great state of Texas. On the hottest of days I skip the jacket and wear just a t-shirt, but 99% of the time I'm wearing jeans, boots, gloves, and a helmet of some flavor. If I'm wearing a half helmet I've also got on a face shield.

Maze Cox likes this.
  3. matfre

matfre Well-Known Member

It gets pretty hot in Tennessee during certain times of the year, with very high humidity added in as well. I will leave the jacket at home during times when it is very hot, but always wear riding jeans, boots, gloves, and at least a half helmet. I realize i am giving up some protection, but it isn't worth the ensuing misery to me.

Maze Cox likes this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

If it's really hot I wear a long sleeved silk tee shirt,......the reason being they keep you cooler in the summer heat and yet warmer in the winter cold,........like merino silk has special qualities,.....and for the rest?,......always all the gear, all the time,....
    Alpal

Maze Cox and Papa Lar like this.
  5. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Windshield comes off, mesh jacket, white 3/4 helmet with snap on bubble shield and lightweight perforated gloves.

Maze Cox likes this.
  6. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Ohio has been temperate this summer.
    I'm comfortable in hot weather with kevlar jeans and a mesh jacket. I wear a Shoei full-face helmet all the time. That gets a little warm at times but if I open the visor and lower my windshield the breeze cool my gourd down.

Maze Cox and muz like this.
  7. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

All but the open face helmet. Since my accident, and seeing the scratches around the front and jaw line of my helmet, it's full face or no ride.

Maze Cox, Aargow, Rodd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I live in Alabama. Here, it's Jean's, boots, and a full/mod helmet. My near-death convinced me that it's probably waaay more uncomfortable in Hell. I'll try and wait, a while, to confirm

Maze Cox, Papa Lar, doublej and 4 others like this.
  9. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

Always full kit for me no matter how hot the day is. I had a bad accident in 1981 with a open face helmet on which was the reason I did not ride for 25 years. I recently purchased a pair of good quality Kevlar jeans for the really hot days and would like a mesh jacket at some point. But always boots, full face helmet, jacket and gloves. I got a bit of stick on a group ride last year with all my leathers on a scorching day but I don’t worry about what others think when it comes to my safety. I had a wee off a couple of weeks back and was very pleased I had my leathers on, a sore but and dented pride was the worst of it.

Maze Cox, muz, Aargow and 3 others like this.
  10. Max's 57

Max's 57 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the very few who "doesn't" ride in hot weather.

I've never been able to handle the heat well. And as I get older, my tolerance for the heat becomes less and less. This also includes just going outside. I'm a cold weather person. No problem dealing with the cold weather.

Maze Cox, Gator Mcklusky and thumper like this.
  11. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I’m like you when it comes to the hot weather. That said, my need to be on two wheels usually overpowers my hate of the heat. Ever time I get back home from riding in high temps I tell myself I’m not doing it anymore. A day or two later, I’m back out in it again.

#11 thumper, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Maze Cox, Scouts Honour, Rodd and 2 others like this.
  12. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

I wear jeans or kahaki's, a t shirt (and denim riding vest) and if it's brutaly hot like today will be, I bring along a long sleeve SPF (sun blocking) t shirt to wear (ditch the vest too)....at gas stops I'll drench myself in water....makes a huge difference when you're trying to pound miles in the heat.

Maze Cox, Gina, Aargow and 1 other person like this.
  13. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

I've found that a long sleeved T-shirt made from that silky material does a great job in the heat. Once in a while I will soak it down. That doesn't last long but gives some relief. I usually will wear my half helmet to keep my bare dome from getting burnt. I haven't tried to take the lowers off my RM yet since I like how they shed the rain. Never wear shorts. Just jeans. And drink as much water as possible. On long trips I set a cooler on the pillion seat and fill it with bottled water and ice.

Maze Cox, Gina, Aargow and 1 other person like this.
  14. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

By the way, Miles asked me to remind you that it's NOT consensual.

#14 Baldhead_J, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  15. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

Is that the Sharon Miles I know?

Maze Cox and Aargow like this.
  16. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

You're making it weird.

Maze Cox likes this.
  17. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

Ha...I think we ventured into the weird zone a while ago. :eek::eek::eek:

18. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

Not found of the heat but have done trips where the temps was in the triples.
    Always jeans, always boots (if you ever meet me you would know why) Now my half helmet is a must, I don't leave home without it and have lost people who said they were friends because of it. (Their lost) almost always my gloves as I find a sweaty hand and throttle don't mix well. As far as upper body, t shirt, sometimes a jacket when I feel cold. Yea I guess I am a little old school fool.:rolleyes:;)

Maze Cox, Papa Lar and Warlock like this.
  19. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

12-month full face flip-up, lightweight Klim armored mesh jacket, fingerless gloves, battered and much-loved Milwaukee rear-zipper boots. Same as winter months except then heavy armored jacket, snuggies, heavy gloves, maybe a snood or a bib.

Recently I trailered Grog while driving the RV to a shop 25 miles away. Accidently left all my riding gear at home. Luckily Florida is a helmet-optional state. But I was as uneasy as a Heidi Klein in church all the way back.

Maze Cox and Aargow like this.
  20. IronButt70

IronButt70 Well-Known Member

Armored pants,armored jacket, gloves, boots. I have winter and summer versions of each. Armored pants no doubt saved me from a serious knee injury last December. Kevlar jeans would have been useless that time.