Riding but never going anywhere?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by thumper, Sep 30, 2017.

1. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

I took delivery of my Springfield in mid July of 2016. From that time until August 1st of 2017 I tried to ride every day. Most of the time I didn't go anywhere, just rode around. The reason was a physical issue that wouldn't allow me to do the long multiple day rides I had often done in the past. I haven't been able to ride since August 1st.

During that twelve and a half month period, I put over 16,000 miles on my bike never going farther than 150 miles from home. My short daily rides were normally under 60 miles total.

Anyone else do a lot of riding but never really go anywhere? Although it's new to me, I actually found it to be very satisfying.

I guess the old saying "It's the ride, not the destination" holds true. At least it has for me.

JBTX, Gina, Warlock and 4 others like this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I do lots of short rides,.......it may be the same road but there is always something different on it,.......
    Alpal

Gina, Roadie, sidecarsam and 2 others like this.
  3. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

Yep...I frequently do short (under 60 miles) rides, but in my area of Tennessee, they are always GREAT and SCENIC rides.

4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Of course , of late I have done a good number of rides but never going anywhere,.......:(:confused:,......been sitting on the Intruder with it in its upright stand and dreaming of the day when I'll actually be able to throw it into a big sweeping curve!:cool::p:D:):);)
    Alpal

5. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I did 40,000 miles in 2001. I slept in my own bed all but two nights. I rode less than 600 miles on interstates. And I only rode about 1000 miles in rain or snow. The bike was a 2000 Honda ST1100 and I lived in the hills of East Tennessee. I rode a lot in TN, NC, GA, AL, and KY that year.

I had some mountain roads that I saw nearly every day. It was awesome to watch the places change with the seasons.

A pre-determined destination is not a requirement for a great ride. Most days my goal is just to make it back to my own bed after the adventure of the day.

I was only working 40 hours per week back then. Now that I work a lot more, I only get about half as many miles.

@thumper I hope you have some great rides on your familiar roads soon. Same for you @Alpal.

Gina, Alpal, sidecarsam and 2 others like this.
  6. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

I had a Honda ST1100 in either the 1st or 2nd year offered in the States and that thing would haul! Honda kept the same gearing as those offered in Europe and that baby would cruise all day at 110 MPH without a problem (top end was much higher...but forget what it was :D). Anyway, I lived up North at the time and didn't have a full year of riding though I think the ST would have handled it with a set of knobbies...temp's below zero were too cold for me!.

Congrats on keeping the mileage and Fun high.

sidecarsam and Da Nurse like this.
  7. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I make lots of loop rides when I'm working out of town and do the same thing when I'm at home. I just get in the bike and go, dont really think about where. When I'm working i usually only have a few hours to ride, so I figure how much time I have to do a ride and make sure I'm headed back at the half-time mark. I have found lots of great little Hamburger & Milkshake places that way! :)

Gina, Cindy Hu, Rocko and 2 others like this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thanks @Ken Smith , I do hope to be out and about full again before Christmas. That's my minds timeframe,......now all I gotta do is see if its in the same time zone as my body!:cool::p
    Alpal

#8 Alpal, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Gina, Da Nurse, thumper and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

It's not that I ride but don't go anywhere, really. I ride to work pretty much every day from mid April to late October. Work is only 5 miles, so I'm not rackin' up the miles by any stretch of the imagination.

CaptMdnght, Da Nurse and sidecarsam like this.
  10. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Other than the Trip to TN which probably was a total of 1800 Miles .. The Rest have been 50-200 Miles pretty much locally in the area .. Need another 400 Miles before Oct 26th to keep my 1,000 Mile a Month Average .. And this is Far Less than what I used to average .. Had 70,000 on my 09 Ultra in less than 3 Years .. 80,000 on the 2012 Victory is just over 4 .. 25,000 Miles on the 15 Scout in 28 Months but was in the Shop 3 Months during peak riding season .. But Finances and Health can do it to you .. Just as a mention have put 10,000 + on the Dyna in less than 2 Years all local rides , no road trips on it yet , not sure ever will be now that have the Chieftain ..

#10 JayFL459, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Now that I've retired I too have a lot of repeat 50 to 200 mile day trips. Who cares. Take those trips and run them in reverse and it's all new country. It amazes me just how different it looks but it's great. Usually though I just look for a road I've not been on and follow it to WHEREVER it goes. Exploring your local area is fun and you learn a lot. I use 150 radius as my local area and that covers some ground. Watching for Historical Markers adds to the information. Some of those I've found in extremely remote areas that I'm sure very very few have ever seen. Out here they are mostly about the white man and native Indians, French, English or Spanish interactions. Very informative markers.

Gina, Da Nurse, sidecarsam and 2 others like this.
  12. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I love doing those kinds of rides. Montana is great for those Historical Markers also. :)

13. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

I ride to work as much as possible. Somehow coming home seems to take longer. I love LD riding but just getting out is what matters to me.

14. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

I call them loops, I do them at home often. They are more of a clear my head and find my Zen type of rides. You know just to get out or away or a moment to myself. They usually have some of the few curves and sweeps close to me. I can go 100 miles and never be more then 20 miles from home at any given time.

JayFL459, sidecarsam, thumper and 4 others like this.
  15. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Bill, that sounds like me. I ride 12 miles to work and 30 back home. Was looking forward to Barbers this weekend and now rain forecasted for Saturday and Sunday. Guess I might get wet.

sidecarsam, Da Nurse and Warlock like this.
  16. Old Warrior

Old Warrior Member

Most of my riding is back and forth to work. 25 miles each way. I'll run up to Nashville occasionally to see the kids and am definitely riding to Barber's on Saturday.

Warlock and sidecarsam like this.
  17. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

Iam fortunate enough to live near one of the best motorcycle roads in the country, Highway 2 in Southern California. This twisty two lane mountain road winds thru the Angeles National Forest rising from near sea level to approx 8500 ft. A few times a week I make a 100 mile run thru the trees with maybe a stop at the famous Newcombs Ranch bar/restaurant. If not, I just stop at one of the many great overlooks and take a break to clear my head and shake off the city clatter. Sometimes I cruise with the Indian and other times I drag the pegs with my sport touring bike. Never really matters to me that most times I don't go anywhere. To me it's the rush from the torque/horsepower of the engine and the wind in your face.

Wind thing must be the dog in me. Happy Trails

xrays and sidecarsam like this.
  18. Nazgul

Nazgul Member

Ran some errands today, Bank, auto store, etc then home. 27 miles. Got to the stop sign 1 block from the house, stayed a minute, turned left and went 147 miles before going home.
    Had to do it, some country back roads I haven't been on for awhile.

Almost wiped out waving to an old farmer who was watering his flowers on the porch......:eek:

Don

sidecarsam, thumper and Alpal like this.
  19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Something to be learned in everything we do, Huh?:eek::oops:
    Alpal

Warlock, sidecarsam and thumper like this.
  20. Baron Wiens

Baron Wiens Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Rode to ft peck about fifty miles what the heck ride across the dam is a must turn left to got to power house rode and return home.... not straight on to flowing wells another 60 miles got to flowing wells turn left head for circle and home.... not turned right headed for Jordan beer was was cold turn and head for home not sout to miles city appetizers at black iron head east on interstate to terry take exit....you guessed it not! Headed for glendive at last left now heading for circle and back to wolf point. Just headed no where was a good day in the saddle!✌️

sidecarsam, thumper and Alpal like this.