Ride Command and Planning a Trip

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Dadawada, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Dadawada

Dadawada We can all use a little more cowbell!

I attempted to plan a route today on the Ride Command Map. I found it useless to try and use. The map would not move around smoothly from point to point, Selecting my "Next Point" on the map to select the route I wanted to take was slow and tedious. It wasn't the me that was slow...the map was super slow to update, moving the map from one place to another did not work well at all, and trying to select "next point" was a pain. I finally just gave up.

Anyone else had success using the Ride Command Map website to plan a trip and had success using it? I tried multiple browsers including Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox. Only Microsoft Edge would actually work. I'm using a superfast computer with Intel i7 (latest) processor, 16GB of RAM, Solid State Drives, a super fast (NVIDIA GTX 1080ti) graphics processor, and my Internet connection is an AT&T 1GB fiber. There should be no issues.

2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Rely on old faithful?,.....use a map?:oops:o_O

Dadawada likes this.
  3. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

Psychopath... ;)

Papa Lar, Warlock, Dadawada and 2 others like this.
  4. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

Haven't attempted using the web-based RC in years. It doesn't seem to have improved...
    However, it is my understanding that you can create a trip in any other web based software (Tourstart, etc), save the file as a .gpx, run this through the RC converter on the Indian website, then download it to your bike via USB.

Dadawada and doublej like this.
  5. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

That kind of the way I thought it was supposed to function too, but haven't tried it yet. I actually like writing down my route ahead of time (trying to), commit it to memory and use the RC as a secondary means.

Dadawada likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I try:cool:,.......

Warlock and Dadawada like this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Ever heard of signposts?:D,......yeah,.....I know,...:rolleyes:,.....that's hitting below the belt!:p;)
    Alpal

Dadawada likes this.
  8. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Indian could have sold me a 2019 Roadmaster in black and grey yesterday if maps could be loaded from a computer mapping program via memory card. Explanation was given me that they have to be transferred by a smartphone app is that "Indian wants to make everything their stuff." Fine. So make a proprietary memory card that will only work with Indian's Ride Command software. Or make a unit that comes out of the bike and can be plugged into a desktop or laptop to download a route. I hope to die without ever owning a smartphone.

Dadawada likes this.
  9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

[Translate] "Get off my lawn" [/Translate]

Papa Lar, doublej and Dadawada like this.
  10. Dadawada

They just came out not long ago with a major update to the system. I thought I'd give it a try and use it on a ride I planned for yesterday. The tools are there to allow you to plan your route which seemed pretty straight forward. But the execution made it unusable I'm sorry to say.

Essentially you are supposed to be able to pull up the map and just like Google Maps, zoom and pan around. Unfortunately the zoom works ok but pan was a challenge. Dropping points along your route to create your route was easy enough but moving the map around was failure.

Yes, you may be able to create the route in another program and then transfer it. That will be my next attempt. But why? I'm sure they will get it together someday and it will be a pleasure to use.

11. Dadawada

We wanted to go down to this little BBQ place at a little private airport South of us. But we wanted to avoid highways and take a roundabout way through the Country. The road signs are no help there. What I wanted to try was to layout the route we wanted to take and have the Nav system take us there.

What I ended up doing was putting in the place we wanted to go and at each turn it would "re-route". It works sometimes but I have found eventually the system just gives up and quits re-routing.

12. Dadawada

Actually the person that explained it to you was only part right. The way the system works is you use the Ride Command PC Web app or the mobile app to plan your route. If you use the PC version it saves it to your account. You can either use the mobile app logged into your account to transfer it to the bike via bluetooth or you can "download" the map from the PC to a thumb drive as a GPX file (GPS Exchange Format) and use the USD port on your bike to transfer that file to your GPS. I was going to use the mobile app method.

Now, what I have done is "tracked" a ride I did using the mobile app and that works surprisingly well. You launch the mobile app and say "track route". It stores your route in your account and it automatically shows up on the PC in your account. Very nice feature.

Alpal likes this.
  13. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

So the wiz-bang Ride Command setup has actually gone "fiz-bang" and is basically a headache? Can you buy any big sister bikes without Ride CommAnd?
    Alpal

14. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Maybe only the Springfield. It all seems to be too painful. No wonder no one I know with a Chieftain or RM use it. Better to use google maps direct to a head set in your helmet. (maybe?)

Alpal likes this.
  15. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Think you are right, Andy uses his iPhone on the bars of the Storm and is perfectly happy with it,.....

16. Dadawada

Now..now...it's not that bad...still better than not having it. I really like the ride command for everything else...you punch in the address or where you want to go and it works as good as any other GPS system I have used...except for maybe Waze and the one on my BMW which is pretty good.

17. Dadawada

Naw...Ride Command works perfectly fine as a GPS. But if you want to get fancy and plan routes it gets a little tricky...no different than other GPS systems mostly.

If you want to listen to music, make and answer phone calls, and navigate it works pretty well.

Alpal likes this.
  18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Sweet then,.....so, in the main, it's good stuff,......that's great,.....I haven't ventured into the area of GPS MUCH but have used my mobile in the car a couple times. I worry looking away from the road too much when on the bike,.....

19. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I wonder if they'll add Android Auto. That would solve all these issues.

Dadawada likes this.
  20. Dadawada

Absolutely! That would solve so much. My Jeep has Android Auto and it is excellent. I love being able to use Waze.

Baldhead_J likes this.