Ride Command and CarPlay

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by Jake Hurley, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

Hi all, just purchased my second Indian - a 2021 Chieftain Dark Horse. Love the CarPlay feature when it works. Out the gate, the Ride Command would eventually “lose the connection” and revert to standard Ride Command functionality (only). First I thought it was the charging cable (replaced), possibly the iPhone (replaced with a 12 Pro), then thought it might be the phone moving around in dash (added padding).

What I’ve discovered by trial and error is that is none of the above. Pulling over, unplugging and plugging everything back in is useless. It’s actually the Ride Command itself. In order to fix, I have to hold down the settings gear (the old on/off button) to resent Ride Command and then - like magic - everything else works like a charm (until Ride Command decides it needs to be reset again).

Any experience with this? Any suggestions? Resetting is better than pulling over, but is annoying to say the least.

2. mello

mello New Member
    Supporter

I've noticed the same thing. VERY frustrating when it happens at 80mph.

I didn't know about holding down the "gear" so I was doing a complete power down and restart.

3. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

Try holding down the gear/settings button until RC resets. If you don’t mind, let me know if that works for you. Also, what kind of headset are you using? Indian recommends Sena, but I have a different headset.

4. mello

mello New Member
    Supporter

That worked. Thank you!!

For headset I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold

Jake Hurley likes this.
  5. Cape Cod Steve

Oh no! I just bought a 21’ RM. I was looking forward to use the CarPlay feature. I have it in each of my cars. I hope this is an easy software revision to fix.

can I ask, can you use the Waze GPS app and the Amazon prime music app?

Jake Hurley likes this.
  6. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

Hi Steve,

I have found a couple of issues. First, I am now using a phone mount (QuadMount) to mount my iPhone to the handlebars. I re-routed the USB cable under the fairing and zip tied it to the bars. This has eliminated about 90% of the issues. The bouncing of the bike doesnt strain on the lightening/USB connection.

I have also noticed that sometimes the RC/iPhone disconnects when the phone is fully charged. So I like to head out with less than 50% charge. I thought I was crazy, but when you google this issue, you will find that others have experienced it.

Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps, Apple music all work. Never tried Amazon prime music app. Can't help there.

7. Cape Cod Steve

That’s good news. I am still waiting for delivery. They’ve had it over a week now installing my upgrades.
    I’ve always kept my phone on the handlebars. already bought a new phone handlebar mount. So couple questions:

From what I understand, the only USB connection to ride command is in the top compartment. How did you route your cable to your bars? Where you able to run the cable from inside the compartment? I’m hoping I don’t have to route it thru the door. Is there an existing hole inside the compartment that you used?

also I don’t care about the ability to take phone calls. Can I still plug my phone into the USB without a Sena headset and get to enjoy Apple Play minus phone calls?

8. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

The USB is indeed in the top compartment. It is easy to re-route, though. There is a hole in the rubber liner that they run the USB cable through. Simply open the compartment, remove the inner rubber liner, and thread the USB cable out of the rubber liner. Then push the cable out the bottom right of the faring. You'll have to figure it out a bit, but shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to a minute to find a route through the bottom right of the fairing. Then replace the rubber liner/glove box in the top compartment. I then zip-tied the USB cables to the right hand bar (I have mid-rise), and connected a 12 inch lightening cable.

Don't cheap out on the cable. Get Apple MFI certified. I paid 12 bucks for a 5-pack on Amazon. Keep the spares on the bike. I think that the vibration, over time, messes with the cable connection. Consider the cable a disposable/wearable part.

I have also installed a phone mount with vibration dampening. Apparently, the vibrations can destroy your camera. I got the Quad Pro mount with the dampening. Very happy with the product. A little more effort to get on/off the bike, but not worried about my phone falling off.

I don't take calls on my bike. But, you MUST have a Bluetooth headset to use Car Play in Ride Command. Just to be clear, Car Play is when your RC screen itself looks like your iPhone, allowing you to use the touchscreen to select apps, music, etc. The headset requirement is not an Indian/Polaris thing, its an Apple thing. Car Play will simply not work without a connected headset. Period. Bluetooth will work without a headset, but then you are just streaming music and directions, not using Car Play. I do not use Sena for my headset. I use my Quin Design helmet. Works better than my spare helmet with the SENA SMH 10.

Through trial and error, I have learned not to pair everything with everything else. I just pair the headset to the Bike using Bluetooth connection. Then I pair AND the phone to the Bike using Bluetooth. Finally, I physically connect the phone to the bike. Some folks have had to turn off Bluetooth on the phone because it made the physical connection buggy. Not me.

This set up has eliminated 95% of the disconnects. The remainder require me to either (1) pull out the lightning cable and plug back in (2) reset RC by holding down the gear button, or (3) both. I troubleshoot in that order. Sometimes the phone errors and restarts (annoying), but that's an Apple thing. I also believe that that phone sometimes disconnects when it reaches 100% charge, oddly enough (some evidence for this on the web).

Happy to answer any more questions you might have, or learn from your experience as well!

Attached Files:

#8 Jake Hurley, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. Cape Cod Steve

Thanks very much for a quick and thorough response. You answered all my questions. It’s been a gray area about the need for a headset to make Apple play work.

so I wear a half helmet. Will not be wearing any phone mount.

wonder if I could leave the headset in the trunk or side back plugged into the cigarette charger. Start the bike and the power for saddle bag coming on wakes up the head set to connect automatically??

very happy to know about the ability to run the phone cable thru the back of the compartment.

thanks again!!!

10. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

No problem. You absolutely can connect a headset and stick it somewhere. I don't use it for anything, but it needs to be connected. I might recommend an el-cheapo Sena SMH 10, but its an earlier version of Bluetooth, which I think impacted connectivity.

I don't know about it "waking up" automatically. Let me know if you find a solution. Would be interested in hearing what you've found out.

Enjoy!

#10 Jake Hurley, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  11. Cape Cod Steve

I’ve been able to experiment a little. I have an old Sena SPH10H-FM-01. I found that this model allows it to be turned on and synced to the motorcycle while charging. I keep it in the trunk. Before I take the bike out for a ride I’ll turn it on and plug it into the power port in the trunk. It automatically connects and once I plug my phone in I get Apple CarPlay. Once the Sena is turned on in the trunk it will always reconnect to the bike no matter how many times you shut the bike down for gas or shopping. With it plugged into the power outlet I never have to worry about the headset running out of battery charge no matter how long I ride.

Their are a few negitives to the setup:
    - can not hear turn by turn directions from my Waze app. Or any police or warning messages also reported by Waze. So you have to keep an eye on the screen. If your worried about police speed traps. All those reports go to the headset in the trunk
    - Apple CarPlay will read text messages as they are received. If you try to let carplay read the message to you. Again only plays to the headset speaker not the bikes speakers.

so it’s not a perfect solution but I can make as many stops on a ride I want. Every time I get back on the bike everything reconnects automatically.

I have not had any issue with it disconnecting while on the road. Also no issue with the phone fully charged. I have an iPhone X. I put it on a handlebar mount and have the charger cord routed into the top compartment from behind the fairing.

Jake Hurley likes this.
  12. Juan Martinez

Juan Martinez New Member

Interesting. I just bought a 2020 Roadmaster Dark Horse (new) without Car Play. I forked out $500 to get the Car Play unit which should arrive next week. But I was not aware that the headset is still needed for Car Play to work. What about music through Car Play? Does that get piped to the speakers or is everything piped to the BT connected headset? Just a little confused...

13. Jake Hurley

Jake Hurley Member

Hi Juan, congrats on the new bike. I thought the 2020’s only required a (free) SOFTWARE update...not an expensive HARDWARE update. But I don’t know enough about that issue to say anything definitive.

So let’s be clear. You can use BLUETOOTH without a headset. That means you connect your phone to the bike using Bluetooth. This allows sound (music, directions, etc.) to be played through your bike’s speakers.

CarPlay is when your iPhone is plugged into your bike and you can interact with your apps on your touch screen. Apple requires a headset to be connected in order to use CarPlay. You can connect a smart helmet or you can connect a Bluetooth headset (Sena, Cardo, etc.) and put in your pocket, saddlebag, or attach to your helmet.

But, you cannot use CARPLAY without a headset connected. Hope that helps.

14. Juan Martinez

Juan Martinez New Member

Thanks Jake,
    I updated the bike software and maps but no Car Play was enabled. The part I ordered was called something like a 'cellular adapter' or something like that. It's a plug & play little box that goes in the fairing, not the entire display. The guys at the Denton dealer ordered it so I didn't do the research to know. I know that in my F-150 & Mustang, if I'm on CP, the bluetooth calling & contact list etc. won't work. You have to turn off CP for them to BT to the car. I guess it's a way of eliminating conflict.
    Another question, I find when using the navigation that the display will sometimes hang up or function slowly. Depressing the LH index finger button to advance screens is also hit & miss.
    This is one reason to use CP since it's powered by the phone which seems will be much more powerful and quick.

15. Cape Cod Steve

I think the reason we are required to use a head set is for safety. I don’t think it’s Indians or Apple Car plays design. I’m guessing it’s some regulation law. So even when you connect a headset and get Carplay on your ride control screen, you will only get your music to play thru the bikes speakers. You will not be able to hear phone messages. You will not be able to hear turn by turn navigation instructions either. While you’ll be able to see your navigation on the screen you need to be able to hear your head set speakers for any directions or phone calls. im ok with that. Don’t want to talk on the phone. But it would have been nice to hear the warnings Waze gives on the navigation through the bikes speakers. Too bad for that. Maybe a later update will enable the warning messages to work with bike speakers. Fingers crossed.

I do like it for my nav app. And my Amazon’s music app. Thou normal blue tooth would take care of the music anyway.

The only real thing I get out of the carplay is my Waze app. I have not experienced any disconnect Problems as reported by a fellow owner, but I have experienced carplay to be slow. Not always but a few times. As if the bikes processor has gotten over loaded with too much info to respond properly. I learned from this thread that by pushing the big center tools button and holding it in for several seconds, the entire ride command system will reboot while your still motoring down the road. That’s a great tip. Thanks for sharing that one with all of us. So if you do experience something strange or the screen freezes that’s the fix on the fly.
    My biggest tip would be if you don’t want to deal with a head set find one that will connect and charge at the same time. Stuff it in your saddle bag or tourpak with the power port charging it and have it turned on while your using the bike for the day. No need to turn it on and off every time you stop and get off the bike. When you get back on and start it up everything will resync automatically. Don’t have to worry about the headset power draining while on the ride.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  16. Woody

Woody New Member

17. Woody

Woody New Member

I too have been experiencing this on my 2020 Roadmaster. I use an iPhone SE latest issue. I opened a case with Customer Connections (April 9, 2021) and they hinted that this could be a "bug" that could be potentially addressed with a software update coming this summer. We shall see. In the interim, I guess those of us Indian riders who are experiencing this carplay integration issue will be wearing out the "gear" button on the RC. Ride safe...