Replacing rear brake pads on the Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Alpal, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Hi Guys,
    Well, my cousin Neil twisted my arm for a ride to score a coffee someplace as he was heading back from Palmerston North. I resisted for a nano-second and said , yeah. While out on the ride I noticed the rear brake pedal was descending a lot more than normal so thought I’d check it out when home.

Sure enough, after removing mufflers and caliper you could say I got my money’s worth out of the original OEM pads. I was surprised they wore down so evenly.
    99D8F5EF-5F8A-48CD-BBAC-A95CFF8E4226.jpeg
    Two years earlier the dealer said I needed rear pads and did I want them fitted. I said no but I said I’d buy a set and fit them myself. I checked when I got home and to me there was enough pad left to last a while longer so I forgot about them, till Friday’s ride. So it was secure the bike, out came the locating pins and old pads. Of course the piston had to be pushed back into its bore to allow fitting of the new pads and that was at first a bit of a problem but by using a woodwork clamp I applied a lot of pressure with the pads refitted and gently released the brake bleeder and slowly but surely the piston was forced back into the bore. I had to keep a sharp eye on the piston in case it decided to travel out again which it tended to do slightly. Next came to fitting of the new pads and that is where my problems began in earnest as the first pad simply would not fit into place. It always tilted one way or the other and jammed. In trying to fit that pad I damaged one of the pad wear clips that are either side of the pad. They secure to the moving pad backplate. I put the clamp back on to hold the piston and checked both new and old pad. The old pad was 66.73 width between wear clips whereas the new one was 68.01mm wide. There lies your problem I thought.

43AB624F-F372-45B8-A56D-0C6AF9758495.jpeg
    I remember the parts guy saying “they’re the same as OEM” when I bought them,……well all I can say is that this set were not, so should you be replacing pads I suggest you check widths, lengths etc because you may have some trimming up to do if they are not OEM. I had to grind down the sides of the pads where the pad wear clips touched. The backs of the pads were thicker on the new set also. The above pic is the brand of pad they sold me and you can see the slightly out of shape wear clip also. Neither the right hand clip or the anti rattle shim in the top pic went back in as the pad would not fit with them on. Once that pad was in it was pretty much plain sailing.' So, yeah Guys if you get non OEM pads be sure to check sizes before you attempt to fit. You could save yourself a lot of agro,…….

I followed the instruction on bedding in the pads but was surprised at how hot the rotor was after a short ride. I jacked the bike up and while the wheel turned ok there was resistance there so I wished I had taken off the other anti rattle shim. In hindsight the OEM pads don’t use them so why not leave them off. Without that shim in place there would probably be no drag on the rear wheel when rotated.

well, that’s it from me and I hope it saves someone headaches and heartaches,…….
    Regards,
    Alpal

SixShooter, muz and Bobby Jesus like this.
  2. muz

muz Bronze Member

I had similar problem with the EBC ones I fitted. Front was nothing, rear was a real bugger. Great improvement, especially the front.

Alpal likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Interesting to hear @muz ……….I did a small run today to test whether the pads were working correctly. I did about 5 miles without using the rear brake and after I parked up in the shed I checked the rotor,……well I smelt it first,….the rotor was stinking hot so it was a case of wait till cool and pull apart. The remaining wear clip had been wrenched out of position and bent. The outer pad was locked at an angle and would not slide on the outer guide pins. I removed the pads and measured them against the old ones. No measurement matched from one pad to the other,……these aftermarket pads were so inferior in quality I rang Indian in Wellington and ordered an OEM set. They will be here in four days from Australia. The OEM set comes with two pads, the two inner wear clips and the spring which goes under the locating pins and will (has) cost me $140NZ. The aftermarket set cost $50NZ from TSS, the new Indian dealer in Wellington. The set I bought two years ago cost $78.00NZ. I am more than happy to be paying the higher price because I know they will fit 100% correctly.

So there you have it boys and girls,……if you want to use cheaper aftermarket brake pads to save a dollar, by all means do so but I strongly recommend you measure old against new BEFORE you start fitting.

Gertruda the Intruder will be happy! With the Scout laid up for the week she gets to go out heaps! Lucky girl:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    Regards,
    Alpal

4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Pads arrived today and had them fitted in under 30 minutes. Would have been quicker but I was stopping to savor my tonic drink.
    Safety first. Clamp holding piston back,……just in case,…….
    69B6B9CE-C75E-4087-A846-E49B60293F24.jpeg
    what you get in the box,………everything went together like a dream,……
    FD8EB6E8-55E1-4F40-896B-465912ECC2F7.jpeg
    interesting,…….they are made in China,…..for how much longer I wonder?,…….
    F2CDF44F-38D1-4978-B3CE-AB7A1DA0E279.jpeg
    That’s all from me folks,……
    Regards,
    Alpal