Recommendations for my new bike please

Discussion in 'Indian RoadMaster' started by Cape Cod Steve, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Cape Cod Steve

I just bought a new 21’ RM limited. I’m already having the cams and pathfinder lights installed along with a full Rinehart exhaust including the front pipe.

wondering what the best mods you folks that have owned there bikes awhile have done?

I’m thinking about a drivers backrest.
    Kuryakyn heal shifter

what’s the best options for the windshield? I would like to put a tinted one with the flare. What’s the best manufacture?

I’ve read a complaint about wind being deflected up from the lowers and hitting the rider in the face. Is there any side defectors for the front fairing that people have tried?

Any input on good mods are appreciated.

2. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

Most people go with either the Indian branded flare windshield, or Klockwerks (probably make the Indian one, anyway).
    I have a driver's backrest, and it has done wonders for my back. If you don't have them already, get the passenger arm rests, as well. I have also put the Pinnacle saddlebag protectors on my RM, but you may already have those, as well.
    I have the pinnacle heel-toe shifter, and highway pegs.
    Just my $.02.

3. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

What's a heel shifter? (It's a joke....just never found a need for one including the Iron Butt I rode last year...but to each their own!). All very personal stuff LOL.

I have tried a couple different windshields (LRS, Klockworks) and have standardized on Freedom. Mfg in CO, a great return policy and come tinted if so desired. They are thicker than any other I have seen on the market and do not deflect as easily with wind pressure. Also, since they push the air more efficiently than stock, you can buy a shorter one that still pushes the air over you and your passenger. (When mine is all the way up on the RM, I'm looking through it. When it's all the way down, I'm looking over it.).

A sheepskin is also a must for any bike I'll be riding for more than an hour in any weather. Drivers backrest is real nice as @Klyde1 already said. Highway pegs,,,I like Indians although do not even have them or crash bars on my Springfield.....uhm...I think that's it for now. A lot of people use rear cylinder heat shields...I sold both of mine.....:D

Living down south, I DO take the lowers off the RM in the summer. Much much more airflow and comfortable ride. If it rains and I gotta go, yes my lower extremities I get pounded!

Good luck and enjoy making it yours!

4. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

A 22 year old blonde from Denmark would be an awesome mod. ( female type)

Warlock and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Klockwerks windshield and Lloydz tune.

6. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Might wanna grab one from Sweden, it's what the Norwegians do.

Warlock and Bobby Jesus like this.
  7. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

I've had them on my bikes for years. I wouldn't be without one anymore.

8. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

I prefer brunettes and 22 is way too young....way too much work and ahh forget it.

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  9. tthunder38

tthunder38 Well-Known Member

I would say the backrest and Klockwerks as the first mods. Those make the ride much more comfortable. I never had a backrest before this bike now i'll never have a bike without one.

Depending on your height you might want to look at foot or toe rests. Again, for the comfort factor. After you get used to the bike another addition might be an upgraded seat. There are several good options for seats and several threads about them on this site.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the new ride.

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  10. Cape Cod Steve

I really hope we can get comfortable on the stock seat. It has the heat and cooling. Looking forward to not having a sweaty butt after long rides. Hoping it will extend my wife’s time in the saddle.

Klyde1 likes this.
  11. Cape Cod Steve

Found bag guards on Amazon for $50. I’ll give them a shot. Shave $250. Savings pays for the back rest.

tthunder38 likes this.
  12. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

The comfort mods that I have made on my SF are all items that I have never had on a bike before, but now I value them all very highly - most likely because of the decades between my riding phases... Now, as a 64 year old, I cannot do without my:
    • back rest (mine is OEM)
    • toe rests (Kuryakyn are perfect for me)
    • heel shifter (again Kuryakyn - kept all of my floorboard real estate available for my boots)
    The PVCX, OEM stg 2 cams and stg 1 pipes/AC all help it run and sound good.

I also have a Butt Buffer seat pad (gel) for longer trips, which works really well, along with Freedom lowers, which are great - but aren't as applicable for the RM.

As mentioned above, all of this stuff is quite an individual needs/taste thing, but the above has improved my ride noticeably.

#12 JuanPoopalot, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    tthunder38 and Klyde1 like this.