Recent ECU Update....

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Performance' started by Earman67, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Earman67

Earman67 Member
    Original 111

I've noticed since the newest ECU update (Springfield) to correct engine misfiring, I get intermitient "popping" and 1st gear feels a bit "sluggish" now... Anyone else noticing similar?

2. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

This seems to be a common occurrence....I started experiencing popping after installing stage 2 cams and the Dobeck EJK fuel controller. After some adjusting of the controller it improved somewhat but the re-flash worsened it again.. More adjustments and it is again much better, I think I will be continuing to adjust the Dobeck but am more confident that there is a setting that will solve this.

Earman67 and Sturgis 75th like this.
  3. Sturgis 75th

Sturgis 75th Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

I was having glitches with my trip odometers clearing to 0 on there own and same with my mpg gauge after the flash. It happened a few times during the first week I had it back, but it seems ok for the time being. Now if it can only rea

Earman67 likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

I'm pretty close to having the pops completely gone myself. I set the Dobeck to the last modified adjustment that Dobeck did for me instead of the original that I had and it helped a lot. It jumps off the line and hauls azz getting me to 100 on our local onramps. That's much better than my RGU.

5. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I get a Check Engine lite and a code that the dealer means Misfire Detected about once every 5 or 6 starts since the reflash - dealer is checking to see what the issue might be - said it shouldn't do that. It never did it before the reflash. Bike doesn't seem as peppy since the reflash either - makes me think the reflash did away with the Stage One Flash that was done when I bought the bike.

Earman67 likes this.
  6. Earman67

Earman67 Member
    Original 111

I reall don't mind the occasional but the sluggish feel is really bothering me. M bike used to feel like a beast at the twist of the throttle out of 1st....

sidecarsam likes this.
  7. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, the sluggishness bothers me too. :mad:

8. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Okay, so I picked up my scooter from the dealership this morning. The mechanic said he couldn't find any reason for it throwing that check engine light so often - he said the plug wires were fine and functioning the way they were supposed to. He said the light didn't come on for him at all the 6 days he had it in the shop.

It started fine and ran like it did when I first got it. The Stage 2 Cams install took this mechanic 2 hours - at least that is what he charged, but the shop rate here is only $67, so it was $134.00 for the install. Pretty reasonable I think. The bike idles much better and nicer than before and I notice a little more pep in the lower RPM range. Overall performance increase isn't that much for me beyond the Stage 1 install. I am happier with how it is running though, so glad I had it done.

9. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

The Sluggishness is gone with the Stage 2 Cam install. :)

NickJ likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

You'll be able to see how mine runs with the Dobeck EJK Tuner in it. It is stronger thru all the gears.

sidecarsam likes this.
  11. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I'm looking forward to that. See how much of a difference that makes. :)

Ghost likes this.
  12. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Took the scooter on a short ride today with 5 or 6 stops and starts - No Check Engine light and not sluggish at all. So far, so good. :)

13. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I had mine done yesterday for the recall flash. I'm a little disappointed. I've lost the snappy response when doing a roll-on at 65mph to pass someone. It was nothing to hit 100mph in just seconds before the reflash. It's now like I don't have a Stage 1. I felt no need for Stage 2 before. So this bothers me.

I had read that some said their engine felt hotter after the reflash. So I kept a log to record the temps using an IR laser thermometer. Apparently I "wanted" to feel less heat as was also reported. Sadly, everytime I checked the rear jug on the way home, it read just on average 1º higher. But the outside air was much hotter than it has been too by about 2º. So again I was disappointed.

Lastly I read some say they got less fuel mileage and some say more. The jury is out on that because I'm not believing what I'm seeing. My normal ride which is well over an hour to the dealer, was 42mpg. This trip the average was 48mpg. That just doesn't seem possible that a half trip could increase the mpg that much. So I'm holding judgement until I make another run that I've don numerous times that averaged 42mpg. But if it holds true and I am getting that much of an improvement, that will be a plus in the reflash.

The only other plus is the surge I was getting on engine braking. I couldn't believe it but it is gone. Completely.

So 2 positives. Maybe? ! 1 neutral or no change. And 1 BIG negative.

Looks like I'll be forced to spend yet more money to get that snappy throttle back. Can I sue them for the loss of Stage 1? :D

14. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I am wondering since you (and I) paid for the Stage One Flash could we just get that Stage One Reflash redone and have the performance back?

15. Roadie

Roadie Bronze Member
    Original 111

Wimberley Texas (Austin Area) Texas Hill Country
    I am holding off on the Flash, my 2015 Chieftain, it has the stage one and stage two installations and with a custom shop Dyno on a Power Commander 5.

I don't want to take a chance of loosing all the extra torque, pickup and go, higher heat, or lower gas mileage.

Maybe Indian will come out with an updated Flash.

16. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Either they do a real Stage 1 to get the performance back we paid for, over $1,000, or they buy back those parts that are no longer being used. I can take that money and get that performance back. What they've done is just wrong. Robbery really. Where exactly can a formal complaint that will get attention be filed? Not the dealer. That I already know. They play dumb. This needs to be reported to something on the outside of Indian or Polaris. I've read all the posts that "claim" you get your Stage 1 back if it was there. That's pure BS. I want to file a complaint. This is just wrong. They simple cannot give us the same reflash EVERYONE is getting when we paid a lot of money because they were basically the only game in town. Matter of fact I have 2 Stage 1 reflashes since I bought air cleaner AND pipes. Only one was used. I never complained about that but this is now out and out robbery.

17. Basshole

Basshole Well-Known Member
    Original 111

So far I've been pleased as punch from my ECM update. MPG has gone up and engine heat has gone down.

18. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Well, I took a 254 mile ride today just to see exactly how this reflash is working. I thought my fuel mileage average was way off. It appeared it was better but today proved it's worse. Add to that, that I don't have my roll-on acceleration and I'm not pleased at all. I have a standard out the door Indian. Nothing wrong with that but I paid for a little more. Is it unreasonable for me to expect the same performance after the reflash? If this is it, I simply want a refund. Is there anything wrong with that? Really!. I'll give them back the air filter and the mufflers. I have them. And I test road bikes with both so I would know the difference.

I'm not at all surprised those that didn't pay the extra amount are perfectly pleased. I don't question that bit. I paid for more. And here's the problem. What dealer is going to fight for the, "here's the recall safety reflash". Mine won't. It is what it is. It's for your safety. BULL. I simply want my throttle response back. It is a simple matter of remapping. Is that too much to ask. If it is, then I simply want a refund. Now where can I file a formal complaint?

sidecarsam likes this.
  19. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I think I would pick up the phone and call the EPA Helpline.
    They are The Government and they are here to help us.

Ghost likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

I had my flash done and I ended up with decel & upshift popping. It sounded like an air popper popcorn machine. I've adjusted my Dobeck EJK Tuner for several weeks and now it looks like I finally have it dialed in where I want it. Good gas mileage and this thing flies. It's an outright Monster of a Machine. Jumps off the line and hits over 5K on the Tach immediately, it jumps in every gear and I'm gone down the road. Nothing but pure Bad Ass! Passing power is there and I'd have better mileage if I'd quit twisting the throttle. :D:D:D

#20 Ghost, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Roadie likes this.