Peoria TT

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Events' started by Drydock, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Drydock

Drydock Well-Known Member

This must be on the Bucket list of any Flat Track fan. Really, any motorcyclist. Its just a great experience.

I rode my Scout 60 from Columbia MO to Peoria, roughly 250 miles, mostly on US 24. Great ride thru Mark Twains Missouri, and the Illinois river country. Visited Florida and Paris along the way. Checked out the Union Covered Bridge. Left 0600, arrived 1100. The first 2 hours riding into the sunrise, had the road to myself.

Next time I'd like to get there a little earlier: you enter the grounds and find a place to claim. The first significant crowd was coming in as I arrived. Recommend a folding chair of some kind, I had a low red camp chair bungeed to the Scout luggage rack.

Showing a prepaid $25 ticken, down the hill into a lovely natural amphitheatre, with the twins already leaping the twin jump as I walked in. The whole place was lushly green, with a small stream running thru the infield. Thru the front straight tunnel to the infield, around the team paddock, over a bridge, then thru the Jump tunnel. I set my chair on the hillside just above the landing area, could see all but the entry to turn 3. (at Peoria, the turns are 1,2, right, 3,4.) Just behind me are concession stands. 16oz Linie Summer Shandy $5. I've seen worse. Get the PMC burger, its a Maidrite style crumble burger with onion soup mix in the ground beef. Great friendly crowd, most of the folks in my area were old timers who have staked out a place on that hill for years.

The open paddock showcased some great machinery, but was a tight packed crowd getting in and out. Bring binoculars for the best look at the bikes. Binoculars are a good idea in general. Next year I'll try to find a place on the front stretch hillside, but the shade is better on the jump side. You stand for the race itself, the chair is for resting in between the runs.

The action is great, the sound incredible. The new jump provides good air and action, but without the bloodshed of years past. I like it, to me it recalls the original purpose of the TT, a natural terrain Steeplechase. Most of the old timers around me seemed to agree, FWIW.

The race itself was a visceral treat, though it was clear on Lap 1 that Henry Wiles has the property deed locked away. Mees was a strong 2nd, to keep Indians run of podiums alive.

The 60 averaged 53 MPG with an average speed close to 70. Stopped every 120 miles for gas, the light never went on. Never put more than 2.3 gallons in it. This is with a PVCX, Crushers, and an S&S intake.

2. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Very Nice.

3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Very cool.

sidecarsam likes this.
  4. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

Sounds like you enjoyed your experience...I felt the same way when I used to attend the Lima flat track races. I can get into the blood huh?

sidecarsam likes this.