Ok, but come on with a real midsize

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Gator Mcklusky, Jul 24, 2020.

1. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

I'm familiar with the style and size of the bikes....Dyna & Gunner....what's your take on motor size....?

2. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

IROQUOIS likes this.
  3. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Sorry dude but you forever seem to not get it. Again, I will say, The SCOUT is not a midsize motorcycle. Holy crap dude, go sit on one. They feel like an overgrown heavy bicycle. The HD Dynas and the Victory Gunner etc are true MID WEIGHT motorcycles. Big powerplants in a midsize and weight frame. 600 pounders. Hey, there is not only the USA and Australia with their huge open freeways to market to. Half the world has small motorways and countryside highways and tight twisty roads, eg, New Zealand, Europe, UK, Asia. The market in these countries could be massive for Indian Motorcycle if it would just create motorcycles that would be extremely well accepted by riders. Small cc bike is for upcoming new riders who are restricted to bikes by weight and power, = growing the numbers for Indian. I know, I know, it's only been 6 years, but, the growing number of Scout variants and Chieftain remodels ain't gonna cut it forever. More models Indian. Rant over.

4. muz

muz Well-Known Member

And how did the FTR thing work out, haha

IROQUOIS likes this.
  5. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Correct, just think Midweight. Hell, the big bore 1300cc Scout motor would power one damn fine or bring back a Victory 1600cc to power one.

6. muz

muz Well-Known Member

13 - 1600cc. Yes a new powerplant, already have the Victory motors, well proven. Make a new aluminium frame, 1600cc, twin front disc, open fenders etc. Basically bring back some Victory model/s.

7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Love it and agree with it,.......
    Alpal

8. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Can you tell me? I don't know other than it's overwhelmingly positively reviewed.

9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

How'd that Victory thing work out? We have data for that.

10. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

And I'm sure they're disappointed about all of the sport bike dollars they're not earning either. If you want a midweight, go out, buy one, and quit your b!tchin' . . . .

Rant over . . . . ;{)

BD

Baldhead_J likes this.
  11. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

This

12. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

I’ll post pictures. The point is, I’d rather buy another Indian.

Ny Mike and Alpal like this.
  13. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Well it worked out sorta like this, design leaked and massive hype globally, dealers require deposits (shameful) to hold an ordered bike for you, nek minute, year long or more wait for release of bikes, nearly all depositors withdraw deposits from dealers, Bikes in shops(very few bikes in very few shops),nearly all original depositors don't bother getting one now, some bikes that are bought have stalling and running problems to the degree some people get money back, A lot of riders think the riding position and style of bike isn't for them with better priced competitor models already out there, low sales, bikes sitting in shops, 2019 and now 2020 clearance sales from Indian Motorcycle. Sorta worked out like that from my knowledge. Indian should know by now, don't produce a bike, dick people around and expect them to buy their product when comparable ones are cheaper and better. Cheers.

Ling and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  14. muz

muz Well-Known Member

I can't really answer that as we all know sales and profits were not good for Victory motorcycles and Polaris pulled the plug on them. What I do know is, they are a fine machine with good looks and plenty of power. Maybe if more die hard Harley owners could have pulled their heads out of wherever and bought a Victory, they may well have survived. Indian Motorcycle should re powerplus, remodel and rebadge the Vegas, Gunner and Hammer (just throwing my choice of models out there) into Indian motorcycles and get some sales up and get a range of motorcycles going. Not a range of variants of 4 bikes.

Brutus1996 likes this.
  15. muz

muz Well-Known Member

I have to keep bitchin until Indian Motorcycle produces one, haha.

BigDawg likes this.
  16. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

@muz totally agree with you on the Victory 106” drivetrain. I put 36,000 miles on mine in 2 summers a awesome machine. Dumped my Roadglide for my Magnum.

17. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Product lines (common core w/variations) are how one makes money in production. It's the same reason so many parts bin cars/bikes exist. We may not like it, but the more common parts between products the cheaper they are to produce.
    Indian now has 4 product lines with multiple variations of each. That's quite a bit to keep up with and the cost of the existing machines is already high enough. Another line is more cost across the entire enterprise. I think we're good with the small, medium, medium heavy, and heavy weight options provided. It may be time to kill one off before a new one starts up.

18. BagBoy

BagBoy Well-Known Member

Only a complete idiot would assume the FTR rollout or current sales is anything close to a success.

19. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

The roll-out was a mess IMO. What are the current FTR sales?

Cuz only the willfully arrogant would assert such a strong opinion without...erm...data?

20. BHlvr

BHlvr New Member

Interesting thread and comments. I'll chime in as a short rider...5'2" and female. I have a Scout Bobber in addition to my Springfield. The Scout frame size feels small to me.

I consider the Scout models diminutive bikes. There's a guy at work that has a lovely, custom-painted Scout but he looks like a bear on a tricycle riding that thing because he's a large guy and makes the bike look tiny. He flies by all the cars, however. I think that Indian might benefit from introducing a larger frame so that the larger beginner riders and those riders that don't want the big, air-cooled bikes would have an option.

I'd easily see myself going for a water-cooled Indian, mid-size bagger that has all the TS111's features that were left off the Scout models, including tank size/range.

Jager, Alpal, muz and 5 others like this.