Ok, but come on with a real midsize

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Gator Mcklusky, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

2. Gator Mcklusky

A67D4DD1-86EB-4F62-B23F-23792BA9CBD9.jpeg

Warlock, muz and IROQUOIS like this.
  3. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

Based on the drawings, to it looks to me like the TS 111/116 engine is history.

BD

4. Gator Mcklusky

I’m not trying to be an @sshole, but two steps forward and one step back...in my humble opinion.

Warlock, JayFL459 and IROQUOIS like this.
  5. Gator Mcklusky

That's the only thing that would redeem it.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  6. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

If they don't make one with a Barcalounger back seat, the Executive Department won't let me have it.

Gator Mcklusky and Bobby Jesus like this.
  7. Gator Mcklusky

I understand. I've still just got a little bit of wildness that I need to let play its course.

#7 Gator Mcklusky, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    PileOParts likes this.
  8. rusty nuts

rusty nuts Well-Known Member

I'll keep my 17 RM for as long as I can. If I buy any more bikes they will be on the smaller end of the spectrum like a Royal Enfield. I also like the idea of a US handmade (as much as practical) bike like the Janus Halcyon. I have a '17 a '19 so the survey says I am due an addition in'21...

IROQUOIS and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  9. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

This is EXACTLY what I thought. Apparently Indian doesn't believe the "Defund" mantra will catch on.

Although, this "it’s worth noting that while only published recently, the patent seen here was filed back in 2017." when combined with the timing of the Guardian name patent, seems disjoint. This might have just been the Challenger chassis patent.

It does seem inevitable that the ChiefGlide will get the Power Plus while the "Classic" might retain an air cooled V-Twin (maybe VVT?) to maintain a "heritage" line.

#9 Baldhead_J, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    IROQUOIS likes this.
  10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Totally agree,.......For Gods sake,......Build a light weight bike to get the young newbies into biking!!!!!

muz likes this.
  12. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

So do I. For that I use cayenne pepper and think about eating kimchee.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  13. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

It’s must be a demographic thing. I read about the riders today want smaller bikes. But where I live about 20 miles outside of downtown Chicago it’s baggers and more baggers. Whatever bike hang outs I stop thru. And I’m talking in a 200 mile radius of my home. No matter it’s baggers 10 to 2. And age makes no difference 20,s to 70 major majority on baggers. The smaller bike think is not popular at all in my area. Hell I can honestly ive seen at best 3 to 5 scouts since they’ve been released. Where are all these riders with smaller bikes ? Not even many softails anymore it seems. I see Road Glides ultras Electra Glides chiefs chieftains and Roadmasters Roadkings always the majority. Maybe because the places I frequent have always been Harley gathering places ? But still even while traveling at work which is a 350 mile radius daily mostly baggers. Personally I’m liking this new idea they have. I’m not a fan of the challenger just not my style bike but love the drivetrain. Always said love my 18 limited nothing out there works for me like this bike. But that motor in a chieftain may get my attention for sure. And I’ve read many others saying the same. If they build it I could be wrong but I think it will sell. There’s a big draw out there to the drivetrain. I’ve heard other riders say it. Love the drivetrain but need it in a different bike. I guess we’re gonna find out. Still love my 111” does a great job I’m still good for now. Now as far as a midsize between a scout and the others it would be a great addition I think. But that wouldn’t be considered a small bike but yes a smaller then the majority say.

muz and Alpal like this.
  14. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Mike....I agree. But, I do see lots of Triumphs and sportbikes. I don't see that crowd buying a small expensive Indian.

Note: I do see an uptick in the Scout population, though.

#14 Baldhead_J, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Ny Mike likes this.
  15. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Alpal and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  16. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

Not my style at all a 800 mile day would kill me. BUT ! I could see that selling honestly especially with the sport crowd. Actually pretty good looking for what it is.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  17. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

I'm with you @Ny Mike. That's a young man's bike based on the age group that rides them.
    I think it would sell.

Ny Mike and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  18. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

There was a homebrew one built and unveiled at Sturgis 2018. Remember? I believe a dude named Christian.... Pretty sure I posted it here somewhere.

19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

20. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

They are in Burtland Mate,.....You do make a good strong point with regards to the big sister bikes Mike,...America is so blessed with beautiful and straight roads,....BUT!,.....as soon as Covids is over, jump on a plane, cruise down to Burtland and we will take you for a spin,........Thats when you may begin to see why so many people are asking for a smaller bike than the big sister types,......yes, we have the Scout but can you imagine a bike slightly bigger than a Scout but much smaller than a big sister with the Challenger powertrain in it?,.....Holy Snapping armpits!!!! .......What a bike that would be on Burtland roads!,......Any Burtland road!,......Yes we have lots of big sisters here but almost all of Burtland roads are like the tail of the dragon.,......Can you imagine riding a six hour day through roads like the Tail?,.....I expect you would be feeling a little tired at the end,.......And yet,.....there are Kiwis' who would say,......Fudge off Alpal!!!,.....I'll ride my big Harley/ Honda/ Indian/ BMW/ Triumph Rocket anywhere!,......And love it!,...Which I guess is saying we all have a point of view and each of them is right in their eyes,.......

muz and Ny Mike like this.