Odd tire wear....

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by TheBru, Jan 3, 2020.

1. TheBru

TheBru Well-Known Member

I noticed my front tire is wearing down much faster on the left side of center. Any guesses why this might be??? Never seen this before on any bike. 2016 Vintage, stock tire with 14000 miles.

Alpal likes this.
  2. IronButt70

IronButt70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like and alignment issue. Wire rims? Does the bike pull to one side if you lighten your grip?

3. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Would a bad wheel bearing do that?

4. TheBru

TheBru Well-Known Member

Seems to track straight. How do you align a front wheel?

5. IronButt70

IronButt70 Well-Known Member

If it has wire rims they may need to be trued. If you lift the front wheel off the ground do that and then spin the wheel and watch to see it it rotates straight. If you have a dial indicator it can be checked with that. If not you’ll probably need to pull the brake caliper off so the wheel rotates freely.

6. RBinTEX

RBinTEX Bronze Member
    Original 111

Normal road camber combined with an uninflated tire?

7. TheBru

TheBru Well-Known Member

This was my first thought. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the tire pressure, but the roads here are very camber for snow melt...

8. RBinTEX

RBinTEX Bronze Member
    Original 111

Maybe compare your gauge for accuracy that you are using?

TheBru likes this.
  9. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I agree this is the most likely cause.

theMucker likes this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

(
    Years ago I noticed this strange wear pattern myself Bru,.......could not figure it out but after quite a big deal of thought and consideration and a couple more front tyres I came up with this theory,.......Because we Burtlanders ride on the correct side of the road ( :), had to add that, the Devil made me do it,.:p) my wear was on the right side of the tyre,......why, why, why?,......then I realised WHERE I was riding on the road,......In those days I always took the inner track as it were and stuck pretty much to the white line on the far left of the road,......and what do you experience there?,.....road camber is what is there,.....the roads all include a bit of a downward tilt or camber to the sides so water and debris drains or rolls off,..hence the wear on the right of my tyres because I am always on a slight slope wearing out the right side of my tyre more.

Once I hit upon this theory I changed my position on the road seeking what I thought was the most level area and bingo!,.....my front tyres no longer have that rapid or excessive wear on the right side of the rubber,......If you see me on the road now you will find me up near the dotted dividing line,...always unless we are in convoy and the guy in front is up in that spot,.......So give it some thought and let me know what you think Bru,......

Alpal

#10 Alpal, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    theMucker, TheBru and sidecarsam like this.
  11. TheBru

TheBru Well-Known Member

I got the same response from a rider in the UK. Right side of his tire because they also drive on---uh---different(yeh, that's it) side of the road.

12. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

I have found that often we ride the same roads in the area we live.
    From that, I have found that I like to go left hand corners with more speed and more lean.
    Now as I am kiwi we ride on the left so that means if I was to fall I would go over center line and straight into oncoming traffic,And if it was to fall when going right I would be in a ditch.
    Why my level of security /fear is greater one way more than the other, who the hell knows.
    If you go for a good long fast ride with lot's of corners(tight and open) , which is no problem to find in NZ, as they are a very regular feature here,
    When you return home take note of which side of the tire has less shiny tread showing close to the edge you will note which left or right side is your preferred cornering.I have found over years of riding that it is always your preferred side that has the highest wear.
    I also ride close a s possible to the edge of the road as that is the safer option.
    Although I am willing to risk more in a left corner which if all goes wrong would put me over center line and into oncoming traffic. WEIRD.
    Also if the front and rear have the same wear (closer to one side than the other of the tire as is in my case) I would consider the bike is in alignment and tracking straight.

#12 putamayo, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. wildmandmc

wildmandmc Well-Known Member

prob after so many miles the walls on tire are not as strong as a new tire.

14. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Just curious. Is this the first tire that has done this? One you recently recently replaced and the other tires was fine.My real reason for asking is I'm wondering if the rear-end could have shifted slightly since it's not likely you have spoked front wheel, the only other thing if not the road is the rear-end, maybe a bad wheel bearing but that should have been checked when the tire was mounted so again, not likely. An interesting conundrum.

15. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

If this is the case wouldn't we all experience wear on one side?

sidecarsam and Alpal like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

No, because it depends on where you ride in your lane,......Close to the side of the lane where the camber is greatest will, for you, wear the left side of your tyre,......ride much closer to the centre line there is less camber therefore the wear will be more even over the tyre.
    Alpal

IROQUOIS likes this.
  17. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

I’m gonna just toss this out there because I’ve had a similar issue on a tire with less miles on it. I’m thinking maybe 10g or so. And I was leaving on a East coast t trip. I had a new tire put on and didn’t notice till I pulled the wheel some of my balance weights were missing. Just a thought. Not positive that was it but never had the issue again

IROQUOIS likes this.
  18. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

I see your point but I never run in the middle of the lane. That's where all the oil is.

19. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

It depends where in the lane you habitually ride, and also what kind of roads you ride on. Super Slabs usually aren't so crowned. Old roads and small highways are usually more so. The center of the roads aren't as sloped as the outside edges.

Alpal and IROQUOIS like this.
  20. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Maybe a defective tire, i.e. dual compound tire with the soft compound too close to the center on the left side? I don't run the stock tires anymore and can't remember if they are dual compound.