New Zealand now has 4 Indian dealers.

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by muz, Feb 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM.

1. muz

muz Bronze Member

Just a quick post to say that from March 1st, Royal Cars in Hamilton will officially become an Indian dealership. We now have 4 in the country. A ride to your local dealer here is up to and over a 4-5 hour trip one way depending where you live in proximity to the dealer. remember people, we are in a country of 2 main Islands with a land area similar to the UK and Japan. When a dealer rep says "just bring it in, we will look at it or see what we can do, it's a good laugh, especially if your bike is not running. Big opening day for Indian riders on the 27th March at 10.30am. Snacks, discount on accessories and clothing, and generally a good get together with people riding from all over the place for a look and chinwag. The amusing thing is, Hamilton city is 1 hours drive on the motorway / expressway way from our largest city, Auckland, so is really just down the road so to speak. This new dealership is geographically placed to be a good competitor with the biggest Auckland dealership, who in many peoples opinion is not up to peoples expectations shall I say. anyway, as least the brand is growing here with more and more sales and people joining groups and forums etc. I wonder if they have the new Chiefs to look at, hmmmm.

doublej, Bobby Jesus, will and 4 others like this.
  2. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

That’s good shit man, glad to hear it!

muz, will, Baldhead_J and 1 other person like this.
  3. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

They made that decision for a reason.
    The Rise of Indian Motorcycle.

Bobby Jesus, doublej and muz like this.
  4. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Cool now all we need is someone on the east coast of North island and 1 more central of the North Island.
    From my home to to Auckland dealer 5 hrs.30 min and 258 miles.
    to Wellington 4 hrs and 176 miles.
    to Hamilton 4 hrs and 186 miles.

Scouts Honour and muz like this.
  5. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

Just curious, and I hope I read the maps correctly, all of your Indian dealerships are on the North Island?

BD

6. putamayo

muz likes this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

No Bud,......Auckland has one, Hamilton has one,...Wellington has one,..( TTS Motors is it? ) and @muz correct me if I’m wrong, Nelson has one, Christchurch has one and Wanaka has one,.......that makes five,.....so three in the north island and three in the south.but that’s ok Muz I know you’re from Auckland and while they can drink coffee up there real good, I know they can’t count!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;)
    PS,......WAS THAT YOU I WAVED TO TODAY up near Oakura? Were you with a guy on a Roadmaster? I was staying with my cousin and family at Oakura beach for the weekend,......
    Alpal

BigDawg likes this.
  8. putamayo

I think you are correct I think there is some representation in Nelson.
    Now we need someone in Whanganui or Palmerston North. North Island.

9. muz

muz Bronze Member

Oh you funny wee man.
    1/ No it is not TTS, it is TSS
    2/ Wrong - Nelson does not have an Indian dealership
    3/ Your count actually makes 6 but you state 5
    4/ Auckland people cant count, please reread your post and note number 3 above
    5/ No not me with the Roadmaster owner
    6/ Most importantly, @Alpal was going to visit me on Saturday, couldn't make it, we missed out on our promised fish and chips and he actually forgot to ring and tell me.

It's all okay bud, you're forgiven, haha. Just givin ya some stick. take care pal.

10. muz

muz Bronze Member

if enough people buy Indian motorcycles, Indian might be able to take over all the HD dealerships, haha

Gator Mcklusky, doublej and JayFL459 like this.
  11. putamayo

Yes well they seem to be surviving, maybe HD not to worried about NZ just closing stuff in the US.
    The NZ Harley guy's must be worried as that powersports guy at the mount has a branch in Auckland and south island now and he seems to be getting a shipment every 2 months of late model second hand Harley's in from the US.

muz likes this.
  12. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Good stuff @muz !

13. BigDawg

Thanks for clearing that up. It seemed odd that the only ones mentioned were on the North Island - no fault of @putamayo or @muz, because I'm sure they were only thinking about dealerships that you guys could ride to.

BD

14. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Yes just two dealers so far on the Mainland and both doing really well currently.
    Just been reading about Indian's global performance in 2020 and it's mostly good news.

Indian Motorcycles sales looks resilient to the crisis.
    Indian Motorcycles in the 2020 was resilient to the crisis more than the most of competitors and managed to end the year improving global sales from the previous year.

Total sales have been 32.016, up 1.9% not far from the all time record hit in 2017.

The American brand, owned by Polaris, has lost moderately in the United States, while growing up in Canada. However, the manufacturer is growing in several markets, like Australia, New Zealand (+44.5%), Russia (+65.1%).

These numbers were done before the launch of the 2022 Chief so I think the the future is looking positive.
    Full article here:
    Indian Motorcycles - Data & Facts 2021 | MotorCyclesData

15. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Bugger! Meant to change that,......yeah,.....did the grave pictures Saturday then travelled up to Oakura in the afternoon, had a gas time with family and we all departed for home around 11.30am. Stopped and took pictures of historical sites and Maori war cemeteries and got home about 1605 hours,.......knackered,.....rode heaps but must have walked 10 kms up and down hills to cafes for coffee and through hilly paddocks to get to some of the grave sites etc,......bu5 all worth it,....
    Alpal

16. muz

muz Bronze Member

That's a good positive read. Come on you guys in the USA, buy more Indians, haha. Us Australasians and Europeans are doing our part.

Alpal likes this.
  17. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

And I was complaining about having to ride one hour to the nearest dealership.

Alpal, BigDawg and IROQUOIS like this.
  18. BigDawg

(Shhhhh, I've got two within 30-45 minutes . . . . although one of them is a RideNow.)

BD

Bobby Jesus and Alpal like this.
  19. muz

muz Bronze Member

The best thing, NOT, is when there is a problem, as in my Scout 60 rear fender recently cracking, the service people simply say, "You'll have to bring it in so we can have a look", to which my reply is, I am 6 hours away and i am not trailering it to you so you can say, "it's out of warranty, Sorry" and then do the 6 hour drive home. The pain is real. At least the new dealership in Hamilton City will cut the trip down to 3.5 hours for me and i hope they treat any customers well and get a lot of business as the Auckland owner and Service manager are picky with their customers who they tend to like and others they don't care about. I've said it before, the Auckland owner can't bring himself to say HI to me and shake my hand after I have spent $70k plus NZD in his shop. It's not nice in a circle of riding mates to be the one who doesn't get a hello and a handshake, no more money from me Mr Dickhead dealer.

BigDawg, Bobby Jesus and IROQUOIS like this.
  20. putamayo

He is a arrogant pr--k and always will be,
    Have had 1 service done there and 1 in Wellington both are expensive.
    Wellington guy came with friendly nature and a smile works for me.
    Now the bike is out of warranty so it's up to me not so easy to shake own hand or possibly smile at myself, but I make an awesome espresso. So turn up the music loud,an do the maintenance myself.

muz and Scouts Honour like this.