New to me 2015 Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Crocket66, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Crocket66

Crocket66 New Member

Hi everyone so I purchased this 2015 Indian Scout with what was indicated as a bad ECM and Radiator.
    The Indian dealer stated that the rear aftermarket taillight the p.o put on is what shorted out the ECM.
    He said the the p.o put a standard bulb and tail light and that the Scout was all LED which blew the ECM. Hmmm dunno about this.
    He mentioned it also needed a new rad, ok I can handle the R&R of that.

The bike gets delivered and the safety check indicates a cracked crankcase on the left side by the shifter linkage. Investigating this it appears the crack is at the outer edge of the left motor mount. One large bolt goes through this support.

I read the procedure for dropping the motor but wow there is a lot of steps. Can the minimum steps be performed and then the front bolts removed. Then the engine potentially could be swung down a couple inches so that a welder can get in there or do I need to completely remove the engine?

Thanks for any advice,

Attached Files:

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

@NickJ can DEFINITELY give you some help. He built the Blackhills Beast!

Lumii_20201102_085443545.jpg

JayFL459, NickJ and Crocket66 like this.
  3. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

It sounds really odd to me that a standard bulb in the tail light would do anything but throw a code on the dash due to the differential in load required for the standard vs led bulb. But I suppose there is a limit to every electric circuit.

As for the motor mount, I would be inclined to drop the whole thing so there are as few excuses for a broken weld as possible. Is it possible, sure, but the welder might have better luck/access with the motor completely out of the bike. Also, you will end up with raw metal around the weld, as this will be required for there to be a good weld. You will probably want to have it refinished or repainted to your personal level of detail so you don't see any corrosion post fix.

Klyde1 and BagBoy like this.
  4. Crocket66

Crocket66 New Member

Quick update, turns out the crack was a bad JB Weld that needed to be completely knocked off. The front end is off and the shop where it’s at will weld it up no problem. Some good news with that. Bad news is, the signals and tail light are not DOT compliant so that has to change, which will fix the light issues.
    Real Bad News possibly legal issue is the main frame piece should not have passed an integrity check as it was welded before and the left leg of it has a big bow in it. Has to be replaced. Big $$$ for that section, like $1200 US. Going to argue that this bike should have had that frame piece replaced before it was available for sale or the whole bike sold for parts.

The saga continues.

Klyde1, JayFL459 and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I'm here for the saga.

Klyde1 and Bobby Jesus like this.
  6. Crocket66

Crocket66 New Member

The saga took a more positive turn. The Rad can be fixed, the previous owner agreed to half the costs on the main frame.
    Once I have the main frame piece it can all come back together. I’ll be changing the turn signals and tail light back to stock so that I have no ECM issues.
    Feeling better and by spring this Scout should be ready to ride, awesome!

Klyde1 and JayFL459 like this.
  7. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Sounds like going your way to have a fun and safe Ride ..

Klyde1 likes this.
  8. Crocket66

Crocket66 New Member

Happy New Year everyone!!
    Here’s the latest.
    Previous dealer agreed to pay for half the main frame which is in South Dakota right now waiting to come across the border should be on or around the 24th. motor mount is all welded up by one of Wpg most experienced fabricators. Then had a shop fix the Rad.
    I purchased a few parts: turn signals front/back, battery, oil kit, coolant, tail light and license plate bracket, coolant hose, have tank emblems coming.
    Just waiting on the main frame.
    Looked closer at the tail light which is non DOT compliant and realized this custom fender has the tail light sitting on top not recessed in like the original Scout, damn this could be an issue.
    Does anyone know which Tail light I can change to that will work properly with our Scouts? Can even be a taillight/turn signal/ plate light combo?
    Thanks for reading my long ass post folks.

Klyde1 likes this.
  9. muz

muz Bronze Member

Klockwerks do one, old retro two lamp style. Good luck with the build.

Klyde1 and IROQUOIS like this.
  10. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

Beautiful looking bike. Love the colors, and the PIPES. Hope you get it all going soon.