New rider reccomendations

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Sixty' started by Sam4msu, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sam4msu

Sam4msu New Member

I haven’t rode a motorcycle in about 30 years so I would say I am a beginner. I am a big guy at about 300lbs though not very tall at about 5’11”. I’m not looking to take long trips, just joy riding for the day. Would the Scout 60 haul my big old rear end around or should I be looking for a 69? As a beginner I don’t think it would be wise to go to the bigger bikes till I get comfortable on a bike again, also don’t need to spend that much money as I just retired this year.

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

At your size, I'd buy a used Chief or a Dyna.

JayFL459 likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

roughly 140 kg's,......yeah,.....I would tend to agree with Baldhead,.....don't for a minute think of a Chief as anything like a harley,.......The big sister Indian bikes have a far lower centre of gravity compared to most Harley so they are easy to move around and throw around when out on the road,.....Check out a few used big sister Indians,.....I think you'll be surprised Buddy,.....

And by the way?,......Welcome Buddy!,.....to the best little Indian Bike forum in the world! You'll find lots of good people here, friendly, humourous and willing to help out with your questions,.....oh,......one more thing,.......make sure the bike you buy is RED!!!!!!! ,.........THEY GO FASTER!,......If Burt was still here, he'd tell ya,.....How do you think he won all those records?:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;),......but hey!,.....Don't take my word for it ,......ask any owner of a red Indian for a completely unbiased opinion!,.....

All jokes aside,.....welcome aboard Buddy!
    Alpal,......way down in Burtland where the Worlds fastest indian was invented!!!;);)

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  4. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Why not take a few bikes out for a test ride before you spend your money. Maybe start with a Scout or 60 first if you wish, but also try a bigger bike or two. There is no doubt that the Scout has the muscle but it will need some suspension mods for rider of your size. I regularly tour on a Scout 2up with gear (around 400lbs total) so I know what it is capable of. It's true that the bigger bikes are a bit harder to push around a carpark but once your riding that weight disappears and you will probably find they are more comfortable to ride.
    Bottom line; test rides first.

muz, Scouts Honour, 4thunder and 3 others like this.
  5. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

The suspension geometry on a Scout will not be forgiving to you, so I would not suggest that bike. Actually, I'm not suggesting any bike. I am suggesting that you look up a local AMA or MSF safety course and start there. Riding life has changed a LOT in thirty years, and I would play all the odds you can by utilizing designed courses to get your head in the game before you throw yourselves to the Texting Cagers.

After that, your comfort level on the specific bike should determine the purchase.

6. WENDIGO

WENDIGO Member

recommendations