New Chiefs !!

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Member Reviews & Impressions' started by Jim Cherry, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Jim Cherry

Jim Cherry Member

I do like them. They look very nice. I am glad they have a regular frame. Looks a lot like a Harley. Only problem that I see is ... Indian needs a smaller displacement motorcycles out there. What would be wrong whit a 1000cc or maybe a 788cc or something like that. Could be air cooled or water cooled. I think that is what we need now of days. Face it, smaller mootorcycles are more fun !!! I remember when a 750 was the only way to go. We should go back to smaller motorcycles for lots of reasons. Indian is a company that can do some real good things. God bless.. 08-05-13 237.jpg

Lake City Larry and muz like this.
  2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Indian has the Scout 60 and two different 1200cc bikes.

JayFL459 likes this.
  3. Jim Cherry

Jim Cherry Member

Yes I know. I gress they need a 500 and a 750 like Harley has. We motorcycle riders sometimes think we must have large displacement road killers. We have fell for that for years. I just hope they make them and make them diffient looking. Not everything Indian makes has to look like a Harley. I would think they have someone that has some good thinking going on. Indian tried to complete with Triumph and BSA years ago. Before 1953. they could not complete at the time. I just know they could now. Come-on Indian....make some smaller motorcycles !!!!! That little "Indian " that just came out is a good start !!! God Bless.

4. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Harley-Davidson has no 500 or 750 for sale, any more. Is the 111" Chief the "little" Indian you speak of? Maybe it's just my brain injury..

MilwDave, doublej and JayFL459 like this.
  5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Didn't Harley discontinue tge street (500-750cc) because they didn't sell? Doesn't Indian offer the classic styled Springfield and vintage, 2 different scouts (water cooled), a naked sport-bike, an off road ftr, 2 all out touring platforms, a liquid cooled fixed fairing bike, and now a true middleweight line? I think they've been pretty innovative. As to the look of the new line. Take a look at old photos from the 50s and 60s of Indian chops and bobbers. Was very difficult to tell them apart from Harley way back then. Yes I'm an Indian fanboy. They earned my respect. My Springfield has been the best touring bike I ever owned. Good job on the new lineup. Is just what was needed

#5 Bobby Jesus, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Notaharley, Big A, Gina and 3 others like this.
  6. TheBru

TheBru Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in your other post I just stopped by a HD dealer. And you are correct they discontinued the 500 and 750 models. Didn't sell. Indian has the Scout for a small bike(with tons of power though!!), the Chief line for mid size(also with power), the Vintage line(for us nostalgic folk), and the Chieftain line for the touring folk. And they seem to be doing them right.

putamayo and Bobby Jesus like this.
  7. muz

muz Bronze Member

The original post is correct. Indian need an entry level bike. Many countries require motorcycle licensing to be acquired in stages. Learners, Restricted, Full license. In New Zealand it depends on the cc's and weight. The new Yamaha XSR700 meets the requirement for Learners bike. That is a massive market to fill and a 600cc Indian (mini FTR) would be awesome. Low, light, super handling , awesome all rounder for the commute or short tour. The Japanese do dominate this scene though with the huge range of bikes from all the big brands.

putamayo likes this.
  8. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

Been listening for years to guys who ride 1800 + cc bikes say Indian needs and "entry level bike" (not accusing you, Muz) and ignore the failure of HDs bikes....ALL their attempts at that market.

My wife learned and got her license on a Scout 60. I bought her a Yammie 250 to learn on and she preferred the Scout.
    She did much better on the Scout in the course than she did on the 250.
    She had better balance and control.

I honestly see no real market for what is essentially a disposable motorcycle that no one will keep.

Heck, folks on here constantly talk about "moving up" to heavier, slower, poorer handling bikes as if the Scout is an entry level bike.....

And it is....and it is also a keeper that can literally do anything and satisfy any experienced rider.

9. MilwDave

MilwDave Active Member

I will say that tank shape and full length fenders would make the new Chief a must buy for me.

JayFL459 and muz like this.
  10. muz

muz Bronze Member

Unfortunately but not really, learners have to start small cc here in New Zealand and many other counties. A 600cc yamaha will beat anything Indian or HD put out so it isn't too bad really. Just our law that restricts people buying big straight away to learn.

Alpal and JayFL459 like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

You home today @muz ?

12. muz

muz Bronze Member

Yes I am

13. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

May call in ,....my shout for fish and chips,.....:cool: