More Bleeding at HDMC

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Baldhead_J, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Why Harley-Davidson Is Plunging 18% Today
    The motorcycle maker's turnaround strategy doesn't have the traction previously thought.
    Rich Duprey
    (TMFCop)
    Feb 2, 2021 at 1:43PM
    What happened

Shares of Harley-Davidson (NYSE:HOG) were tumbling 19% in midday trading Tuesday after the company reported fourth-quarter and full-year 2020 earnings that fell well short of expectations.

So what
    After the motorcycle maker's third-quarter report held out hope the company's reworked turnaround plan called The Hardwire might be gaining traction, the latest numbers show Harley is still mired in the same quagmire it has been.

Where Wall Street anticipated Harley would post an adjusted profit of $0.21 per share, it actually came in with a big $0.44 per-share loss. Last year it posted a $0.20 per-share profit.

[​IMG]
    IMAGE SOURCE: HARLEY-DAVIDSON.

It blamed the downturn on softness in the motorcycle market, which more than offset the profits generated by its financial services division.

Now what
    Harley-Davidson sales are still in a tailspin. Motorcycle revenue plunged 51% in the quarter with U.S. sales down 15% year over year, and off 13% elsewhere in the world. Shipments fell 48% to under 21,000 units.

While the bike maker didn't mention the LiveWire in its other release, sales are included in its cruiser segment, and those bikes suffered the largest worldwide declines, down 54%. Touring and sportster bikes were down in the 40% range.

It indicates Harley-Davidson has a much longer road to recovery than analysts previously thought. Considering Polaris Industries recently reported its own results that showed sharp sales gains for its Indian Motorcycle brand, investors shouldn't expect Harley to come roaring back.

will and IROQUOIS like this.
  2. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

I said this years ago when I first came to this forum or while I was on the old one, HD needs to build better motorcycles that people want, and not every one of us want the faring, sound system, badass stereo along with all the other hoopla. Nor do we want a bike with 50 gawdy color schemes, nor do we want chopped fenders on both ends. Maybe, just maybe, some of us out here in “The real world” want a cool old looking motorcycle with modern technology. Maybe we don’t want to spend $1000.00’s of dollars on extras that should come standard on said motorcycle.
    And maybe one day soon someone will take the Raines of that old tired motorcycle company and breathe new life into her by going back and taking a look at what they did before.
    Maybe they may see the 1950’s Hummer, or any of those older models and get a brilliant idea.
    Maybe they might just catch some sunlight upon their grey matter and notice that they don’t make anything for kids (you know, the future of motorcycling), like a mini bike or something that a kid could learn to ride on.
    HD has a hard row to hoe if they don’t come up with something fast. Their days of $100 tee-shirts and crap, and $25,000 dollar basic bikes that people will plop down money for and wait 6 months to a year for are over. They now have to be smart and maybe listen to the people that ARE willing to buy their motorcycles.
    Ok, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

3. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Sad to watch, but actions have consequences. I always loved the bikes and hated the company. It looks like the chickens are finally coming home to roost.

#983 Gator Mcklusky, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    will, MilwDave, IROQUOIS and 2 others like this.
  4. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Hopefully this is at or near the bottom.
    A lot of huge companies has fell from grace...GE, Boeing etc. They don't have near the market cap. as in the past but they are still around to fight another day.
    This needs to happen to HD.

JayFL459 and will like this.
  5. Gator Mcklusky

They need some tough love @IROQUOIS, it’ll make them a better company

will and IROQUOIS like this.
  6. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

A lot like parenting.....it may not be the "popular" decision but necessary.

will and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  7. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

8. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

With the political party in power at the moment rest assured the gas prices will increase as they have in the past. If I guess it gets high enough people may look to motorcycles again for their mileage. If so, maybe HD and the others can get enough sales and future customers.
    Still say start them young and you will have a customer for life. But you have to build something that the young (kids) can start on.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  9. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

I don’t think we’ve seen anything yet when it comes to gas prices. Up 20% here since the election. Keystone, gone. Oil and gas leases on public lands, gone. Fracking is next as our energy independence slowly erodes. At least 80k jobs in the energy sector will be gone shortly. Governor of Montana said shutting down Keystone will cost the state 100 million in tax revenue and untold millions in wages. To help pay for the green new slush fund don’t be surprised if the OTR fuel tax goes up $.50+, maybe more.

IROQUOIS, will and Baldhead_J like this.
  10. Ny Mike

@IronButt70 $5 a gallon premium coming to a gas station near you !

IronButt70 likes this.
  11. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

But I don't want to sell my V8, damnit!

12. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Harley-Davidson: Electric motorcycle division coming as part of sweeping recovery plan
    The iconic American company posted a near $100 million quarterly loss, but wants to turn things around with an eye on the future.

[​IMG]
    Sean Szymkowski
    Feb. 4, 2021 7:36 a.m. PT

[​IMG]
    Harley-Davidson seeks success and pins big hopes on electric bikes.

Craig Cole/Roadshow/Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson remains in troubling shape as it works to bring in a new generation of motorcyclists. That kicked off with the LiveWire electric motorcycle, but it's going to continue as the company announced a dedicated electric motorcycle division is coming on Tuesday.

The division is part of a massive turnaround effort titled the Hardwire Strategic Plan. Like any turnaround plans, it targets long-term growth and profits, but in Harley's case, it wants to work on the desirability factor, too. This will include a broader "view of its customer" with work to include traditional non-riders.

Climb in the driver's seat
    Subscribe to Roadshow's newsletter for the latest car news and reviews, delivered to your inbox twice weekly.
    Yes, I also want to receive the CNET Insider newsletter, keeping me up to date with all things CNET.
    By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Specific to the electric motorcycle division, this operation will serve the company's future as it looks into new technologies and defines who these future machines are for. Perhaps Harley's traditional rider simply isn't interested in an electric hog. In that case, the company needs to look elsewhere. That's where the whole idea of looking at "traditional non-riders" comes in.

However, the motorcycle maker won't only focus on electric bikes. It also plans for a new certified preowned program to bring more riders into the fold and plans for investments into traditional bikes such as its growing-in-popularity trikes, the Touring line and large Cruiser. Harley also wants to make a massive push to provide riders with a one-stop-shop parts, accessories and riding gear. This comes with the decision to pull all of its merchandise from Amazon, which the company said choked sales for its own dealer base, according to comments Harley-Davidson's CEO, Jochen Zeitz, made during an interview with Bloomberg.

Harley's at an infliction point, and it will be mighty interesting how the company's fortunes unfold throughout this decade. Who knows, maybe its forthcoming e-bike will be a smash hit outside of traditional motorcycles.

13. Ny Mike

Well something I remember being told from a friend who’s dealership was closed September. 66% of Harleys profits are clothing and accessories not bikes. I honestly hope they pull thru this. I own one and have owned many. A huge part of my riding life with awesome memories. I probably will never go back but it’s all such a big part of the Americana motorcycling world. I’d really hate to see them fold.

14. RedChieftain

RedChieftain Active Member

A big part of Americana motorcycling currently run by a German tennis shoe executive. :) Hey, I have that long Harley riding life history too, Mike, and understand your sentiments. The multiple breakdowns over 1,000 miles from home, four bad ones, drove me from the brand.

IROQUOIS, Baldhead_J and will like this.
  15. Ny Mike

Lol I can’t even count how many times ! Runnin coast to coast since my first new 82 Electra Glide but Redchieftain I’m sure you can just imagine ;):D we knew what we were riding

#995 Ny Mike, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    IROQUOIS, RedChieftain and will like this.
  16. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

Heading home last night looked at the filling station gas price $2.09, thought not bad price dropped $0.10/ gallon over the past couple of days. Looked at the same filling station gas price coming to work this afternoon $2.29!!!!!!!! $0.20/ gal overnight! Wonder what it will bee when I get off? Spring really needs to get here more quickly, my wallet will take a beating via V-8 ford 4 x4.......

IROQUOIS likes this.
  17. Gator Mcklusky

Don’t worry, China Joe is here to help.

18. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I could never go a full oil change without SOMETHING going wrong on the HD's I owned. I went BMW in 88 just to get away from HD once but tried again in 012 just to have the same things happen. Mostly electrical but wasn't exclusively that. Was just always something. Now I tell my HD buds that my Roadmaster is the best HD I've ever owned. That really ticks them off for some reason. Of course they throw back it's a Polaris not an Indian. So what!!! It runs and never breaks down.

IROQUOIS and Ny Mike like this.
  19. Ny Mike

@ndncowboy my Evos were pretty good. Once we learned to let them warm up so we wouldn’t blow base gaskets. Ran 3 over a 100,000 with minimal issues. No more then a starter,stator and voltage regulator. And they stayed together rather well not much tightening like my shovels & Pan. And actually my rebuilt Twincam has 113g on the rebuild but I rebuilt it like Harley should have from jump

20. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Ask them if AMF Harley Davidson are legit.....

will and Ny Mike like this.