Military Forward Deployed in Japan

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Zero Rider, Jan 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Zero Rider

Zero Rider New Member

Hello everyone,

i am active duty in Japan. I have been looking to get a motorcycle recently and I believe the Indian Scout Twenty is the bike I want. My problem is that I am in Japan and was wondering if there is anyone else on this forum that is military and can give me advice on how to purchase overseas and get a test ride in to see if it’s the bike for me?

Much Appreciated,
    Zero

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Thank you for your service and I wish you the very best.

20201019_173624~2.jpg

3. Zero Rider

Zero Rider New Member

You are welcome! Thank you for your support.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  4. rich.leasure

rich.leasure New Member

Zero, are you mainland Japan or Okinawa? I ask because all bikes, even the ones in military HHG shipments, have to go through mainland Japan for an emissions check. Also, do you already have a motorcycle license and an MSF card?

Rich (Ex-USAF, Ex-MSF Instructor)

5. Zero Rider

Zero Rider New Member

I live on the main land. I’m not familiar with HHG shipments, can I get a military deal that way? This is my first command and I need to make rank to get my license over here. I got my motorcycle license in the states over a decade ago and it is still valid. I took something similar to MSF before I got my license, don’t know if I can find that card though. I’m working on the SOFA license right now. I’m still in the planning stages and I am in talks with the office that issues that license here on base.

6. rich.leasure

rich.leasure New Member

Household Goods (HHG) is one of the shipments authorized with a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. It is the larger of the two and takes longer to get there. Unaccompanied Baggage (UB) is a smaller move but gets there faster. Both UB and HHG count against your max weight and you can ship a motorcycle in either. If you go over your max weight, you can be charged, but it's cheaper than paying a commercial company to ship a bike. I went over 2-3 times but was only charged once, of course YMMV.

I wouldn't consider buying an Indian on the Japanese market. I hate to think what that would cost, and the paperwork could be a hassle when you get back to the states. I got my wife a Vespa when we were in Italy. All of the paperwork was in Italian which was a major pain when we got back home and wanted to license the bike. All of the military motorcycle sales I have seen were Harley. If you haven't been in Japan long, you might be able to amend your HHG/UB shipment and ship a bike from the states. USAA used to do motorcycle insurance overseas, but I haven't been with them for some time.

It's good that you already have a stateside license, but I'm pretty sure you will need MSF as well. I've been retired for 2 years, but I doubt things have changed that much. Also, each command has their own rules that may be more stringent. In Europe you needed a European MSF, and even though MSF doesn't expire, you had to retake it every 3 years. Either way, your post/base safety office is your best source of information.

Good luck, and enjoy the assignment!

Baldhead_J and Ling like this.
  7. 4thunder

4thunder Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service to our country.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your purchase.

I am sorry I am not able to answer your questions.

Be safe on all accounts.

4T

Baldhead_J likes this.
  8. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

USAA doesn't do motorcycle insurance. We've been with them for nearly 40 years, and when you click (on the USAA website) to check on motorcycle insurance they switch you to Progressive.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  9. rich.leasure

rich.leasure New Member

I said USAA did motorcycle insurance overseas. I had them 2010-2013 in Italy. Stateside they subcontracted Progressive due to low numbers.

JayFL459 and Klyde1 like this.
  10. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

Ah. I didn't know they did offer it overseas. I won't deal with Progressive.

11. rich.leasure

rich.leasure New Member

I don't blame you there. I had a bad experience with Progressive in the past and I won't deal with them either.

JayFL459 and Klyde1 like this.
  12. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I deal with them. They've done right by me through a near fatal wreck.

13. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

I just don't care to support George Soros any more than I absolutely have to (he has ties to so many companies).

thumper likes this.
  14. rich.leasure

rich.leasure New Member

It's not politics for me. It's their lack of understanding of the military. Here's my story...

Coming back from overseas, one of my motorcycles was totaled in shipping. I head to the dealer to buy a new one. Once we have a deal, I call USAA as I use them for banking/insurance/investing/etc. Unbeknownst to me, they transfer me to Progressive who handles their motorcycle insurance stateside.

I fax all the paperwork from the dealer, get the loan and insurance. Before I left the dealer, I paid for the insurance in advance and setup autopay as I was heading downrange. I doublechecked with Progressive to ensure she had everything and reminded her I was about to deploy. They said everything was good.

Fast forward maybe one or two months, I'm downrange and get an email from USAA telling me I need to keep insurance on my bike until the note is paid off. Turns out Progressive dropped my insurance WITHOUT CONTACTING ME because they didn't have a copy of my driver's license on file. Since I think it's USAA and not their subcontractor, I'm confused as USAA has all my other insurance policies.

Once I find out it's actually Progressive, I ask why they didn't request my driver's license with all of the dealer paperwork? No explanation. Why didn't you contact me BEFORE you cancelled my policy? No explanation. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I offer to send them a copy of my driver's license to reinstate my policy. They say that will be fine, but my policy will now cost twice as much...because I've had a policy cancelled in the past. The policy that they cancelled.

You can't make this stuff up. So Baldhead, I'm glad they treated you much better than they treated me, but I will never, ever deal with Progressive again. In fact, the whole experience was so bad, I cancelled all of my other USAA insurance policies just because they subcontracted with somebody so incompetent.

Klyde1 likes this.
  15. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

To each their own, shipmate. I hope you get what you need.

16. Zero Rider

Zero Rider New Member

Thank You All!!!... I don't think I can pull the trigger on buying a Harley. Might have to go Japanese bike. Really want to get a scout.

17. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Think in your situation I might go with a Japanese Ride .. They do offer some fine models and am sure would get a far better deal price wise .. Only Japanese Model I ever owned was a 1972 CB 350 but it was near Bulletproof and did have a lot of fun on it with 0 issues .. When first met my wife she had a 2005 Yamaha V Star 650 that had no problems either, except accessing the Oil Filter which was just a poor design in my opinion ..

Klyde1, Baldhead_J and Zero Rider like this.