Make it louder.

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Ajax_Md, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Ajax_Md

Ajax_Md Active Member

No, not the bike or the exhaust, just the horn.

The horn on the demo bike was positively wimpy. I commute to the DC beltway every day. If there's anything I've learned from my first scooter, it's that a deafening horn is a must-have for repelling soccer moms glued to their cell phones in their massive SUV's with the A/C blasting and the infotainment system blaring.

The Stebel air horn is my preference. STEBEL-USA

Has anyone mounted one to a Scout? Does anyone have another preference? I want it loud, but I also want an unobtrusive, tidy installation.

Da Nurse, Gator Mcklusky and Alpal like this.
  2. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

I mounted that exact one on my grandsons scout. Works great and an easy install.

Happy Trails

Warlock and Da Nurse like this.
  3. Ajax_Md

Ajax_Md Active Member

That's great to hear.

Any photos of the installation or information on where you mounted it would be very much appreciated. I feel like the radiator will prevent me from mounting it on the forward frame.

4. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

Removed the old horn and pulled up the wiring in the loom to the new location. Horn is mounted on the left side about 12'' up from the original location. Horn opening is facing out to the left side. It's mounted with one bolt but I don't remember what I fastened it to. It's loud.

JayFL459, Warlock and Da Nurse like this.
  5. Ajax_Md

Ajax_Md Active Member

Great, that's very helpful. Many thanks!

6. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

His scout has the forward crash bars, so I may have mounted it to the upper support.

7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi Bud, on my first Scout I mounted a pair of Piaa horns on the left side using the top bolt hole for the crash Bars as the first mount point. The horns were joined together with a number of those Spring steel brackets that come with horn kits. The other end was mounted to one of the Allen key Bôlts on the engine. I have pics which I will dig out for you. They are a flat horn so did not look out of place in my eyes. As for loud? Imagine that big Chevy with the two tone horns blasting at you from behind because you got sleepy at the lights! Man! They are loud. Now that I have my second Svout they are on the list of " Must Do!" Anyone who ever heard them place them high in the WOW! Factor. I'll go look for pics Now.
    Alpal

#7 Alpal, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Warlock, Da Nurse and Hwy 2 like this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Pics of the Piaa horns on Alpals Red Bullet Scout:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Ajax_Md, Warlock, Da Nurse and 2 others like this.
  9. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

Warlock, Da Nurse and Alpal like this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I liked it better when it was in one piece,....it was a Memphis Shades screen that I pieced together. The screen was for Metric bikes or universal fit and the mounting kit was from a Harley. I had always wanted a Memphis screen and when the OEM SCREEN ON THE intruder died I got a ruby red screen to replace it. As Memphis did not make a screen for Scouts then I set about finding what would and would not fit, bought the bits and there you have it. I sent Memphis a whole heap of picks of the finished article and to,d them I was getting a lot of enquiries on the forums. A while later one of the guys said that Memphis were now marketing a screen for the Scout. I like to think I may have played a part in that. Here is a pic of Gertruda the Intruder with hers,......
    image.jpeg
    I have my Freedom Shield on the Scout until I can afford another Memphis Shades screen.
    image.jpeg

#10 Alpal, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Roadie, Warlock and Da Nurse like this.
  11. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

I assume the shield was a result of a crash. Hope you came out of it ok. All the best.

sidecarsam, Da Nurse and Alpal like this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah Mate, hit a horse early one morning in June. Wrote the Scout off and me too almost. But I'm recovering slowly. At least I can do small rides again.
    Alpal

Roadie, Hwy 2, sidecarsam and 3 others like this.
  13. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

I relocated my Horn for the Simple reason was a PITA having to remove it just to change the Oil Filter .. The picture just shows the Scout Horn Relocate , but went with an automotive horn that was the loudest the Auto Parts Supply had without being too big to fit right, and was far better than the wimpy OEM Horn ..

Hornrelocate.jpg

sidecarsam, Roadie, Da Nurse and 2 others like this.
  14. Ajax_Md

Ajax_Md Active Member

That is certainly discrete.

I'm seeing a lot of photos of horns mounted solely on the left side of the bike, pointing left. I really wish there was an option for a discrete, forward-facing horn so that "lane drifters" on either side of you would get the full brunt of a horn blast but in this instance, I may be letting "perfect" be the enemy of "good enough."

15. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

In actual fact it all boils down to size and space. Most horns I've seen are roughly the same or similar size and the only place I found on the Scout that has space to fit them is the left side just behind the radiator, as per my pictures. If you have crash bars mounted on the bike a whole new world opens up for you. Ronnie, down in Texas had crash bars on his to which he mounted some Stebel air horns. That worked well.

Another thing to remember is that even though the Piaa's I mounted and Ronnie's air horns were on the left of the bike when it came to waking up people on the right, it made no difference which of the bike the horns were on because the volume is loud enough to scare the crap out of people anywhere in the vicinity! Believe me, people will very quickly know you are there,.....
    Alpal

sidecarsam, JayFL459, Warlock and 2 others like this.
  16. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

Hey @Alpal I’m really good at dumb questions. Why not put one on each side?

sidecarsam, JayFL459 and Alpal like this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

The only dumb question is the one not asked! And in answer to your perfectly logical question,.....there's no room,......oh, yes,....I could have, with difficulty, but was fairly sure the front exhaust pipe would have the horn changing shape fairly quickly.
    Alpal

Roadie, sidecarsam, JayFL459 and 2 others like this.
  18. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

OH. DUH!!! That makes perfect sense. Yeesh!!

JayFL459, Da Nurse and Alpal like this.
  19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That's if you want both horns up the front of the bike. From memory I did look at other positions on the right hand side but it was just going to look dicky so elected to join them up and mount them on the left as per the earlier pics.
    Alpal

Embarrassing moment when I got the Piaa horns. They arrived and I ripped open the end of the box, took out the appropriate bits and commenced to fit the horn. Ignition on, sound the horn ,....awesome,....and happy. A while later, like about a month, I wanted some wire and knew there was some in the horn box so I grabbed the box and ripped it open again to get the wire, only thing was, I opened the opposite end to the one I opened the first time,.......and found another horn,.......:eek::confused:o_O, I was the only one in the shed but I felt my face go red:oops:,....Duh!
    Alpal

20. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

Now if you had crash bar in front, you could mount two, yes? Also has anyone looked in to the Buffalo air horns? They have 2 different sizes. Just a question.............:)

sidecarsam, Warlock and Alpal like this.