Luggage Rack for Scout, not solo seat; Windshield

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by acee2021, Mar 26, 2021.

1. acee2021

acee2021 New Member

After about a dozen other bikes over the years, I just bought a 2021 Scout. Of all the bikes I've had, this is the best.
    I'm looking for a luggage rack that will attach to the quick release spools and go behind, not in place of, the passenger seat and that does not require a sissy bar. I just want the rack. I've looked all over and can't find any.
    I'd settle for a sissy bar/luggage rack as long as I can remove the sissy bar and just use the luggage rack.
    Does anyone know of any such rack or will I have to have one custom made?

Also, I got a 21" quick release windshield installed on the bike, but find I need a taller windshield. I'm thinking about changing the 21" for a 24" Indian windshield, although I've been looking at the Freedom shields as well. I've heard that the 24" Indian windshields can rattle. Anyone have any advice on this?
    Thanks.

2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Can’t speak for the rack Bud but as a clue, look up Dean Speed,.....he MAY have something,....

with regards to the windscreen I would not recommend the Indian screen because they are too square, thus when the wind hits them they create a vacuum space behind the screen edge into which dives the wind creating a whole lot of turbulence. The Freedom Screen however, although also square-ish has the curve at the top to deflect the wind up over your helmet and from memory it is wider which thus reduces the buffeting against you behind the screen. I have had both screens and of the two would strongly recommend the Freedom. Go to their website as they have instructions there that will tell you how to determine just what height screen you will need,.....simply put it’s all based around where your nose is!:cool::p:D,......

look long and hard before you lay out any money Bud as there are a lot of screens out there that will do the job you want provided you know what you are looking for,.....there are Memphis Shades screens, Dart Screens and many others that each do the job for the rider so know what you are looking for, ask around some more, maybe even score a ride on a bike with a screen to see how that one works,.....takes a while but the research will save you hundreds of dollars,.......ask me how I know?,......I spent about $2500 Kiwi before I found my screen,......I wish I had done more research,.....

and welcome by the way to the best little Indian Forum in the world! I hope you bought a red Scout because as you know or will find out, red are faster! Just look at the Worlds Fastest Indian,.....What.colour is it? Yep,.....red,.....Burt knew what he was doing!!:p:p:p:rolleyes:;),....just two more things,.....post a pic of this new machine of yours Bud because as we say here,....” pic or it didn’t happen!!!”.......And the second thing is stop reading this and get out there and burn some rubber!,....ASAP,!!!

Regards
    Alpal

3. JonScout

JonScout Well-Known Member

I have a 21" Freedom shield (no hardware) for sale - should work better than 21" Indian shield.

Alpal likes this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

He is right @acee2021 ,..........the 21 inch Freedom screen will deflect the wind much higher than the standard Indian screen but I also refer you back to what I said earlier,......namely do your research,......just thought,.....are you and @JonScout near each other?
    Alpal

5. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Not sure they had one in 2015 so managed to get by with adding a sissy bar ..

ScoutisBack.jpg

Alpal likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah they did Jay because I bought one,......I had the Indian pillion seat, silly bar and luggage rack all on my first Scout,.....Sadly it was all still on there when I wrote the bike off saying hello to that fudging horse! But in saying that I can’t remember how it mounted up to the bike,......
    Alpal

JayFL459 likes this.
  7. muz

muz Bronze Member

The place to look for what you are after in the luggage rack (only) that attatches to the spools is EBAY. Yep, there are some on there and the only ones I have ever seen. Dean Speed, Motherwell Products and Indian do not do one like you are after. Looks like you will have to add some more Chinese product to your ride. Quality of it, I don't know but some gear out of China is surprisingly very well made and finished. Head onto Ebay man, it's there waiting for you. Welcome aboard too.