Love bike but frustrated

Discussion in 'Indian Springfield' started by Lil, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Lil

Lil New Member

I bought a new Springfield and I love it but I'm 5'5" and can't reach handlebars to where I'm comfortable. Tried the reduced reach seat and that was so drastic that my knees were in my chest. Went to dealer for help and contacted corprate and received no help there either. It's pretty sad that they can't acomidate all kinds of riders who love their bike. If they keep options minimal they will loose a lot of business. Just thought I would throw that out there in case someone is listening : )

2. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

That's the problem I had with Harley only in reverse. Every H-D I ever had seemed to cramped for me so I would modify them to fit me. My Springfield was the same way so I modified it to fit me.

I originally was going to buy an Indian back in late 2013 but couldn't come up with any ideas regarding getting more room so I passed. Fast forward to 2016 and I found an aftermarket company that had just what I was looking for.

Good luck in getting yours to fit you better. If you can't, I hope you find a bike that is better suited for you.

Gina, sidecarsam and Ghost like this.
  3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I don't know where you are located but corbin has a place in daytona. You ride in and they will fit a saddle to your needs. You can also check with local leather shops. Where I live, Miami, there's a place that has done some fantastic work using the factory seat pans. Just an idea.

sidecarsam likes this.
  4. rodhotter

rodhotter Active Member

before putting your cash down make sure its the right fitment, not just what you like!! made that mistake because i had no motorcycle endorsement required to ride + test ride, bought an 06 1200 sportster in 06 , poor brakes + suspension + its fork floopin geometry + top heaviness, glad its gone! good luck getting something more suitable without taking a bath $$$ the scout should surely do for you.

5. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

I know there are some other riders on here that don't have long legs and arms. I wonder what they are doing to help their situation. Hopefully someone will be able to speak up.

HD was terrible with their seats. Replaced everyone of them to suit me. Even changed some bars. I haven't found the perfect setup but it's darn close with both my Indians.

You must have been too excited when you test rode the bike to think about the situation your having now. Best wishes. :)

6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Well-Known Member
    Original 111

When you legs too short then all you can do is listen to kick ass blues....here ya go.

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  7. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

You'll have to customize to fit you. After market may be your best bet. Handle bar risers, or apes tilted back, lots of different things you can do.

SouthernProducer and muz like this.
  8. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are located found these guys (from NY but may have dealer a dealer close you?) that do custom handlebars. Talk to them and see if they can help you out: BRs Custom Bars Home Page

If you go with a custom bar, you might have to get longer control cables/brake line and I suggest you check with Barnett for that work: Barnett Tool & Engineering Note, if you go with a custom bar fabricator, you can choose whether or not to chrome the bars, paint them, or other top coat of your choice.

The seat change is the easiest to fix and even the one you just installed can probably be adjusted for a better fit. That's all I have on the subject based on making many of these mod's for my wife's rides over the years. Keep us posted...and don't give up on the Springfield.

#8 SouthernProducer, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  9. Danbacca

Danbacca Active Member

sidecarsam likes this.
  10. Vintage

Vintage Well-Known Member

Indian makes pull back Handlebars that fit the Springfield. I believe they set the controls 2" closer to the Rider. I've also heard that the Indian Beach bars set the controls closer.

Roadie likes this.
  11. Squanto

Squanto Member

12. Roadie

Roadie Bronze Member
    Original 111

Wimberley Texas (Austin Area) Texas Hill Country
    Don't know why most are talking about getting a different seat situps, what you need are pull back bars which are available from Indian and a couple of aftermarket vendors.

JayFL459 likes this.
  13. Max's 57

Max's 57 Well-Known Member

Probably because just switching the seat is much easier.

14. kyle3765

kyle3765 New Member

I installed the reduced reach handlebars on my 2019 Springfield. In my opinion, not worth the effort. They really didn't make enough of a difference and they seem to be wider than the stock bars. Added pic of reduced reach bars installed.

Attached Files:

#14 kyle3765, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  15. rodhotter

rodhotter Active Member

many times we buy what we like even when fitment is not the best, but can usually get it sorted thru proper changes either from the $$$ dealer or an independent shop preferably one that knows Indians + many times parts not for a certain bike can actually be the answer. good luck + the Springfield would be my choice if i had the $$$$

16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

So I wonder what ever happened to @Lil ,.....She never answered any of the posts,....wonder if She keep the Indian or traded to something different,.....Guess we'll never know,......
    Alpal

17. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

I've found over the years that quite a few people get on a forum and throw up an SOS and beg for info and help and act like they are antsier than a cow dog but never ever check back in. A lot of folks respond and try to make suitable suggestions to help them out but "they gone". Looks like the least you could do is come back and say "Thanks Guys, appreciate the help".

18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah, You're right, Treat others as you would wish them to treat you. Oh well, Like I said,....would still have like to know the outcome but I guess we never will,.....Sounds pretty much like an impulse buy, followed by an 'Oh Shizen!" afterwards when the warm fuzzies had worn off,......
    Alpal

Baldhead_J and IROQUOIS like this.
  19. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

Yep - a one post wonder...

Bye Lil ! !

Adios amiga ...